“The most luxurious hotel in Toronto”

The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
Ranked #6 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“The most luxurious hotel in Toronto”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

I stayed in a one bed room suite for my girlfriends birthday. She went to the Spa as well. This hotel is absolutely amazing in every way. They treated us like royalty. From the time of booking to the time we left. The rooms are balling!! You get what you pay for without a doubt.
We ate in Tom Brody's new restaurant Toca. The food is delicious and servers are very professional and knowledgeable.
You must go there!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at The Ritz-Carlton Toronto in late March for a friend’s birthday and I have to say that they have definitely brought a new level of luxury to Toronto. They surpass any competition in every aspect, from when you pull up to the valet upon arrival to check-out the next morning.

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a friendly valet and doorman (my friend got a good deal when booking the room and valet for one vehicle was included, normal price around $45 I believe). The lobby of the hotel was brilliant, marble, wood and comfortable loungers placed conveniently; the TOCA bar was on the immediate left with TOCA the restaurant above it. The DEQ Lounge was at the back of the lobby. Upon checking in, the front desk greeted my friend by name, and actually accompanied us to the room to show us the unique amenities found there. As the hotel knew he was celebrating a birthday they left a surprise chocolate log/cake in the room, which we devoured immediately. We booked a corner suite, to get into it one must use the key to get through an entrance door into a little corridor where only the doors to two separate suites are found (a nice touch for privacy). The bedroom was huge, with a large comfy king size bed and a wall of windows with a beautiful half-view of the lake and city. A large LCD TV was placed on top of a dresser with a great set of Bose speakers on the bedside table, perfect for hooking up an Ipod or laptop and pumping some music. The closet was the largest I’ve seen in a hotel and contained a large safe and tons of space to hang your clothing. The washroom was located off the main hallway connecting the bedroom and living area (the hallway was filled with windows showing the spectacular view). The bathroom was huge, with heated flooring and a large double countertop, the mirror contained one of those small built-in TV’s. The toilet was in a separate locked room (perfect for when you have a large group staying in the room) and the bathroom also included a nice, large soaker tub as well as a glass-enclosed shower. The living room was located just off the entrance and was surprisingly roomy; it had a giant LCD TV on the wall built into the wood paneling and a fairly comfortable pull-out couch. A small half-bathroom with toilet/sink was located off the living room by the entrance to the suite.

The service at the Ritz-Carlton is what allows it to stand out from the other ‘luxury’ hotels. On top of escorting us to the room they called up once or twice to make sure everything was OK with the room and asked us if we needed anything. Upon check-in we mentioned to the front desk that we would be having 15 people in the room at one point during the night before heading out to celebrate my friend’s birthday. They were very accommodating and mentioned that they would call to give us a warning if the noise was too loud (which they did not have to do). They even brought us up some extra glasses for drinks, a table with plates and cutlery for the cake and an extra ice bucket.

We did not have a chance to visit the main restaurant, TOCA, or the DEQ lounge, but we managed to sit down at the TOCA bar and have a few drinks. Ambience was nice and the server very friendly, they brought us over a variety of bar snacks to have with our drinks. We chose try out a few rounds of cocktails, they were $16 each I believe and were either hit or miss. I’ve had some high-end cocktails produced by self-proclaimed ‘mixologists’ before, and the drinks here do not come close to those.

Overall I have are no complaints about the room or hotel service. They completely surprised me with the lengths they will go to please their customers. As you can read from the review, the room was gorgeous with plenty of space to sleep 4 and even have a party for 20. The only downside would have to be the price, but you get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend the Ritz-Carlton for anyone spending the night in Toronto, be it from out of town or to celebrate a special occasion!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank researchnerd
New York
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton for one night - we stayed in a double bed room with the view of the CN tower. The beds were very comfortable. The room was spacious and very nice - its great when everything is new but not too modern. The only thing that I didn't like was the toiletries in the bathroom - the Ritz Carlton branded products are not that great. Would've been nice to have something better - the one in New York used to have Frederic Fekkai (so something local to Toronto would've even been nice). Overall a great new hotel with amazing service, a great fine dining restaurant, and wonderful rooms.

• Stayed March 2011
Glasgow
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Rating: The hotel scores a 5 for its overall great feeling for how to discreetely, yet very attentively, take care of its guests. I just can not fault it!

Hotel: It`s supposedly the only 5 star hotel in Toronto. And even if it`s not, it for sure is the newest one which also means the most flawless.

Location: If you`re in town for business, ie downtown, it`s spot on. Great communications around the corner plus easy walking distance to the big arenas for sports/music events.

Room: We stayed in a 1 bedroom corner suite (1614) with a glorious view over the CN-tower plus the water. The room is very large and has a great layout. The colour scheme is harmonious and classy. There was even a screen inset IN the bathroom mirror so that tv could be watched while soaking in the tub. Furniture both good looking and comfortable. Bed very comfortable! It`s alsp surprisingly quiet given its location

Food: Excellent! And the waiters are personable yet professional

Staff: You`re greeted with a smile from each and everyone of them! They also remember your name which is always a nice touch. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they even re-opened their gift shop so that we could purchase a last minute gift. Nice!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Toronto Ontario
Reviewed 30 March 2011

To celebrate another candle on my cake I decided to spend the night at The Ritz Carlton with my Sweetie. I booked the best room available…a One Bedroom Corner Suite with Lakeview…and we headed downtown to check in. Arriving outside, there were two valets attending another car. Despite seeing us pull in…neither one came over to take our luggage/car for valet parking. No one was in the other car and for some reason both men were fiddling with it rather than one coming to help us. Finally one came and took the keys and we headed inside. That was to be a pre-cursor to the whole experience…very friendly people that are just as bit slow on the service side.

Check In found the two front desk people attending others so a staff member guided us over to the Concierge desk where we were promptly checked in. I asked for a late check out and received one no problem. She wished me a happy birthday…nice touch…and I asked for a champagne bucket filled with ice to be sent up to the room.

Our room was on the 14th floor…there are only 200+ rooms total…and it was very nicely decorated and laid out. You enter into a hall with a small bathroom on the right and then a living area with 42” LCD TV…small bar area…mini fridge with pop/juice…glasses…liquor bottles…and snacks. A desk with phone and a couch and a floor to ceiling window completes the area. Walking along a hall you have a spacious bathroom on the right with Jacuzzi tub…separate shower…double sinks and a TV imbedded in the mirror. This was a big plus with my Sweetie but unfortunately ours didn’t work. (More on that later.) Continuing down the hall you find the bedroom with a King bed…nice linens…another desk and phone and 42” TV and another floor to ceiling window. We had a Lakeview room but next time I wouldn’t pay the extra $50 as the hotel is so far from the actual lake that it’s really not worth it. Plus all the ugly condos basically block all but a smidgeon of the view so why bother?

Since the bathroom TV didn’t work we called the Front Desk and no one answered. It took repeated attempts over the course of 10-15 minutes before either the Front Desk or Concierge would pick up. In a hotel with only 200 rooms…that was lacking a bit. The technician arrived and checked things out…did a few adjustments and said it just needed to load the channels then it would work. Meantime, we were still waiting for our champagne bucket. Again…such a small hotel should be a bit quicker with their service. We wanted to leave and do some shopping in Yorkville but had to wait for these delays. The TV…after loading the channels…still didn’t work so we called down and they offered us another room. Sooooo…pack up our bags and move to the 12th floor after asking for the champagne bucket to be rerouted to our new room. Same features just a lower floor and different corner view but at least everything worked. When the bucket came it was a small ice bucket like we already had in the room, not the champagne bucket requested. The waiter apologized and went to get another. By this time we had to leave to get some shopping in so off we went. Upon arriving back the champagne was on ice…there was a small plate of dried fruit and cheese…a box of 3 truffles and a birthday card…very nice indeed. Unfortunately when I went to make myself a drink I noticed the glass I had brought with me was gone. Now this is a plain, plastic tumbler that I usually bring because A) it’s plastic and won’t break if I have a moment of indiscretion and B) it’s larger than the glasses most hotels provide so you can mix a proper drink with ice etc. in it. I called down to tell the Front Desk it was missing…picked up by the maid no doubt. My point wasn’t to recover the glass…which had no value…but to inform the hotel that the maid shouldn’t be removing other people’s property from the room…especially when we just checked in. If we had checked out and left the glass behind then fine…remove it…but to go into a newly arrived guest’s room and remove a glass that obviously didn’t belong to the hotel was wrong. Anyway…they were very apologetic and actually found the glass and returned it to us. The Concierge called up and said for the broken TV/moving rooms/missing glass problems they wanted to send up some beer(???) I said I don’t drink beer but a bottle of white wine would be nice. This was sent up with a card apologizing for the mishaps.

We ordered Room Service and the sandwich was good and arrived in about 45 minutes. Room Service has various menus…breakfast…late night etc. and is 24 hours but with a limited selection available after 11pm. There are dvd players for both TVs and pay movies available too.

Overall the room was beautiful and the hotel staff all very friendly and accommodating. Service is a touch off…a little slow and not quite perfectly polished yet…but the staff makes up for it with a genuine desire to please and really…you can’t ask for much more than that. We’ll be back at the Ritz-Carlton some day soon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Summerfunboy
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I spent one night at the hotel which had only been open for two weeks. Everything from check in to check out was perfect. The staff was professional without being stuffy and never failed to exceed my expectations. My room was beautifully furnished and spacious. The marble bathroom floor was heated and there is an amazing television built into the mirror. I highly reccommend this property.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SPR006
Reviewed 28 March 2011

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here this past weekend and loved every minute! We stayed in a club level room with access to the club lounge. WOW is the only word to describe the service, food and hospitality shown to us there. A huge THANK YOU to Scott, Hanut and Maria who were so accommodating to us the whole weekend, we did not want to leave!!

The hotel itself is beautiful, very Canadian I thought from the decorations to the mostly local amenities, food, wine....Well done on all levels! We didn't really eat at the restaurants (why would you when the food was complimentary and delicious!! in the club lounge) but did hang out in TOCA bar Friday night. Service and friendliness of the staff were both top notch. And the maple syrup bacon bar snacks?!?!?! AMAZING!!

Looking forward to enjoying many more visits to this hotel. Job well done!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple