“Beautiful Hotel Downtown. Excellent Service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
Ranked #5 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Ritz Carlton in Toronto. During the weeks and days before our trip, we recieved several emails from the hotel asking if we needed anything, if we had special requests, etc. I thought that was a great touch. It's nice to have a hotel actively prepping for your visit. The hotel was very nice, very clean and had modern decor. The staff was truly amazing with their level of customer service. Very well done! The location of the hotel was perfect. Right in the middle of downtown. Our room was gorgeous and had a great view of the city. The tiles in the foyer and bathroom were heated (you could adjust the level). Tip: we stayed on the 19th floor. Floor 19 and 20 are club level.
The spa: the Ritz spa was wonderful. The spaces were relaxing and large. My massage with Ruth was outstanding! Definitely get a massage while you are there.

Overall, I would say that we truly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,688)

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our Toronto weekend at the Ritz-Carlton was enhanced by the attentive service and smiling faces of Ritz Carlton staff. Not all Ritz-Carltons are the same and in my mind the difference between the properties usually is defined by location and service. This hotel is set toward the western end of downtown but basically within a half mile walk of almost everything you need to see. Upon arrival (early afternoon) we were checked in without delay and had an end room facing north.

The rooms are decent-sized, with a modern finish-out (more typical Ritz-Carlton). However, the Bose sound machine had the old 30-pin connections for pre-iPhone5 - no lightning here. The bathroom is spacious and modern, too. They have a "behind the mirror" flat screen so you can watch Canadian TV while you shave (not recommended). The shower is fitted with a handheld nozzle as well as overhead shower but water pressure is pretty average and there is no adjustment on either showerhead.

In our experience the service here was top-notch. No slackers. Check-in desk was friendly and knowledgeable, housekeeping was extremely friendly, even asking if we wanted take some bottled water on our departure. Breakfast at Toca was extremely civilized (it's a great space - very comfortable) and wait staff was equally attentive. Upon departure, valet helped with car service to the airport and showed good hustle with a positive attitude. We had a great trip with no complaints. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Spa, health club and pool on the 5th floor. Need to use the card key in the elevator if going to cl...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for one night when we went to a concert.
This is a beautiful hotel with a very inviting lobby full of stunning floral arrangements and comfy couches.
The curb staff was super friendly and took our car, as they only do valet parking for $48.00 per day-too much.
At check-in, we inquired about the Club level, which includes, a light supper and breakfast. The extra charge for this amenity was going to be $100.00, so we declined. At the Trump we were offered a suite for only $50.00 more and accepted.
Our 11th floor, lake view room was lovely, bright and large, with a beautiful marble bathroom.
No one explained their very unusual light switches and I had trouble with them.
We were asked upon check-in if we wanted a morning paper, but it did not arrive. Henceforth, we asked three more times for our Globe and Mail and it finally arrived when we were just about to leave.
While awaiting a taxi at the entrance, I spied a black Mercedes with the Ritz insignia and asked if it was for guest use. I was told "yes". Why did the check-n staff not tell us about this perk?This is the Ritz and clear communication and proactivity should be their mandate. It is not.
That would never happen at the Trump, where the staff anticipates your every need and desire.
We did not eat here and their bar was closed as it was Sunday. Don't ask me why, but it is Ontario.
One perk was seeing the entire New York Knicks team arrive at the hotel. Some very tall, handsome men there.
We got this deal on Hotwire for $225.00. Would I pay more? No. If I wanted a treat would I return? Probably not. Would I return to the Trump? Absolutely!

Room Tip: aSk for a high floor and a room facing the Lake and Centre Island.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katherine E C
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Spent two nights for a girl's weekend. We felt pampered and very well attended to. The room was lovely, corner, one bedroom suite on the club level with club access. The food offerings and service in the club are fantastic. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Opt for club access if you cab swing it....well worth the price.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I surprised my wife by grabbing a room at the Ritz in Toronto! To be honest a bit excited myself.
It is rather nice when you walk in however the people at the front desks downstairs are it's shortfall.
Firstly, we stood at the counter for a good 15-20 minutes because, without saying, they hadn't a room for us. The other lady checked in two people and was working in a third and still not a word from the one check us in, just silence. The glares from the people behind us waiting for check in were a bit uncomfortable. They upgraded our room and it was very nice.
The problem was there was more body hair in the bath tub than desired, but my wife was already napping so I cleaned it and ran her a bath, it had been a long day thus far.
We went out for dinner and I told the same women that checked us in about it. She really don't seem to concerned, but said they would have someone go look at it when we were leaving. I advised I cleaned the tub but there is lots of dust as well, everywhere! 2 hours later we got back and nothing was done! I went back downstairs, maybe it was because I was tired and not really confrontational, maybe it was because I was not covered in Burberry check, the new lady down stars really didn't believe me, I even reassured them that I was not looking for anything just a cleaner room when people check in! Nevertheless, 10 minutes later, as we are sitting in our room, two wonderful lades came and cleaned up the room and even vacuumed.
This made my wife not happy and well when she is not happy neither am I. They had 2 hours during our dinner out to touch up the room, but waited until we were in it to vacuum, clean and dust.
We had plans to stay and dine in their restaurant as we have heard great things, but being so dismayed by how we were treated almost as if we were second class citizens that really should have not stayed in this establishment, we decided to that we would shower and carry on as are still in the room! And my wife literally just found an eye contact in the shower!
Not impressed one bit!
If you stay wear you luxury designer goods for better treatment! They will take you a bit more seriously!
On positive the turn down candies are quite wonderful.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank RVcornell
Reviewed 16 October 2013

You don't know what exceptional service is until you stay at the Ritz.
Every staff member was extremely accommodating and NICE - it never felt like they were being nice because they had to for their job.

We got a complimentary upgrade to a suite and LOVED it. There was even a television in our bathroom mirror and we had a little living area with another TV.

Overall a fantastic experience!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I really enjoyed our stay at the Ritz in Toronto. We had a club-level corner suite, and the room was magnificent. The location is very good, and the service was even better. If I had one complaint, it would be with housekeeping. We had mentioned that we would like to have housecleaning done as early as possible, since we have a 3-year old who needs to go down for a nap at around 12:30-1:30 everyday. We also requested turndown service at 5:30 every night. We didn't go out of our way to make these requests, we were asked on our first evening there. Every day they messed the times up, and consequently, messed our schedules up a little. That said, it wasn't the biggest deal in the world. I though overall the staff, from the club concierge down to the guys working the doors were fantastic. Affable and helpful in anyway possible. I wouldn't think twice about staying here again. One side note I need to mention though is that the Spa was good, not great, and not even close to something I would consider the world's best, which for some strange reason it was voted that by readers of Travel and Leisure. I can think of 20 spas off the top of my head that were better in every major category: service, amenities, staff, space, and value. It wasn't bad by any means, and I would recommend it, but if you are a hotel spa vet hoping to be blown away, you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family