“Almost excellent”

Ranked #5 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Ontario, Canada
“Almost excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Beautiful hotel, from the moment it comes into view on the street with it's shimmery lights it's beautiful. Pulled up and were greeted kindly by the gentlemen for Valet parking. Went into the lobby and was swept away by the aroma! again, beautiful. Check in was quick, our room was lovely 1118, the bathroom is exceptional (the tv in the mirror is cool but not necessary...would be nicer to be able to have speakers from the Bose system available to have playing in the bathroom while bathing or getting ready). The finishes in the room were lovely, from the lamps to the bar area and the occasional chair.

We didn't pay full price for our room as we were lucky enough to get it through Hotwire for 216 a night. For this price, the room was outstanding! You know what surprised me.... When we looked at our bill after we left the hotel to head home....we were charged for using the internet! oh, Ritz....that's tacky. $9.95 plus tax. the local coffee shops offer free wifi.... but not the Ritz. too bad. Yes, that (plus the lady in the hall that "shushed" us) was the only downfall (and believe me we were not noisy...she was just snooty).

we were only there for 1 night, I'd love to go back and stay for 2 nights so we could have time to experience more of the hotel. For our one night away it was lovely :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

First stay at this hotel and I think I'll be back. The hotel itself is located just across from the CN Tower and looks to be a fairly new building. Inside the lobby whilst quite compact is modern and I found that the staff were polite and very accommodating.

The rooms were sizable and nice, probably wouldn't say fantastic but mine did have a great view of the CN tower. I thought that the restaurant was superb and ate there two nights (dragging along a friend) where the standout was the pasta (they gave me a complimentary portion on the second night as I kept raving about it. The bar also was a great place to hangout for a drink with friends or strike up a conversation with strangers.

Would come back definitely.

Room Tip: Get a view of the CN Tower
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Ithaca, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

The Ritz-Carlton in Toronto has a lot going for it:
1) Staff is friendly and professional. The guy who checked me in remembered me by name every time I returned to the hotel and I think this is always a nice touch, especially in a large hotel.
2) The rooms are quiet.
3) The baths are really well laid out and spacious, with a nice soaking tub and excellent separate shower.
4) The bed is comfortable.
5) I had an outdoor veranda with my room (room 603), not huge but it was nice.
The hotel, to me, has some downsides as well:
1) Nickel-and-diming people for internet. At this price point, stop doing this. It looks cheap and if you can't just roll the CAD 9.95 a day into the rate, then you are not very creative. This is one of the most annoying aspects of the large American chains such as Ritz, Hilton, Marriott, etc.
2) The room was too generic. It really, to me, was almost the same as staying in a Marriott or Hilton. Same layout, same linens, same furniture really. It should not be at this price point. The design of the room was also, frankly, boring.

I wanted to like this hotel even more, but it just isn't distinctive enough in my opinion. The price needs to be lower, in my opinion.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank TR45
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is all about location, comfort and service. We stayed on the club floor and it was hard to leave the hotel. Great food, friendly, really helpful staff and close to the Entertainment District in Toronto, as well as the waterfront, CN Tower and brand new aquarium. Look for the tv in the bathroom mirror - great touch! Visit the pool and spa. Even though the hotel was packed, the spa was never crowded and the two relaxation rooms are the perfect place for a cup of herbal tea, a long read or a nap. The air in Toronto is dry, but when I left, my skin looked perfect. The concierge is very helpful in finding tickets for live theatre or suggesting things to do in Toronto. This might be my new favourite hotel! Also the lobby restaurants have great bartenders and chefs and lots of interesting people watching. Defiantly highly recommended for a luxury stay in Toronto.

Room Tip: Rooms facing south offer a stunning view of Toronto Island, Lake Ontario and the CN tower, but all t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank burtinshaw
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have nothing but praise for this hotel and a 20th Anniversary treat for the ages. Upon arrival, the valet simply asked for the name to put on the key tag and by the time we walked 20 feet to the door, the door man wished us a happy anniversary which was followed by 4 different staff in the lobby wishing us a happy anniversary between the door and elevator, they certainly have communication and making guests feel special down to an art.

We booked a Club Floor room which is highly recommended, you won't find a better chain club floor in terms of lounge, staff, food and drink offerings. We were greeted again with Happy Anniversary without being announced on the club floor and offered an upgrade in honour of our anniversary. I'm thinking from lake view room to jr suite, but to our amazement, we were given the Presidential Suite, the past home to actual Presidents and Oprah. This suite was 2,400 sq.ft. with full kitchen, dining room, living room, den, bedroom, gym, walk-in closet, two bathrooms and 5 TV's, simply amazing. The hotel has a great vibe at night as it is bustling with people in the lobby and the half day spent at the pool and in the spa was very relaxing with excellent facilities. While we were fortunate enough to receive a rare special upgrade, even without the upgrade, it would not have diminished the excellent hotel facilities and exceptional service received. This hotel is right up there with The Savoy in regard to making you feel like a guest and not a customer.

Room Tip: Book the Club Floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
london, ont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at quite a few RC's over the last few months. I would have to say RC Toronto is one of the best, especially love the service on their club floor. Scott and his team are always unfailingly polite, going the extra mile no matter the request. Last stay was in September, unfortunately can't; get back to sometime in the new year, looking forward to a return trip

Room Tip: Go for club level, definitely worth it, but you will be well treated no matter what you book.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is the spot to stay, from the bar attached to the lobby to the amazing rooms, this is the spot. The service was great at check-in and the valet guys had great input to other options besides valet (if I'm parking my car for 3 days straight and won't see it, I don't need to pay the expense of valet).

Rooms were of decent size (had 2 queen size beds), and the sheets were amazing. Of course the towels were oversized like most Ritz's...a feature I really like.

Best part, after a long night out, an early morning swim in the salt pool is awesome.

This is the place to be seen.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends