“Ritz-Carlton, Toronto - Superb in every way!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto
Ranked #6 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Leicester
“Ritz-Carlton, Toronto - Superb in every way!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I had decided when we were married that some day, once our mortgage was paid and children raised, we would love to visit Niagara Falls. Over time we saved our pennies and eventually excitedly made our booking to include 4 days in Toronto prior to our magical trip!
We arrived at the Ritz-Carlton in Toronto after a long (7.5 hour) flight from the UK and didn't know what to expect. Things were fantastic from the off! We were warmly approached by Kevin, an immaculately dressed porter, he took us through to reception where we were immediately greeted at reception in luxurious, gleaming surroundings, and checked in with a free upgrade to a suite with a great view (11th floor) of the CN tower and Lake Ontario. We were also given (which we knew about as it was in the brochure when booking-depends on travel dates) a $100 voucher to spend in the hotel as we pleased. John, porter, then escorted us and our luggage up to our room. It was beautiful, everything we wanted. There was a lounge, with coffee table, writing desk, mini bar, fridge, all well stocked if required, beautiful furnishings etc. A separate toilet and basin. A walk down the corridor led to a large seat with long window to the side and opposite this a most gorgeous bathroom, walk in shower, toilet, marble tops with double sinks, deep bath. In this bathroom was a large wall to wall mirror with a tv screen incorporated! The main area was the very roomy bedroom with fantastic view of the CN tower, and a view of Lake Ontario. The bed was huge and as I suffer with some back problems I'm really pleased to say the bed was absolute luxury and so comfy! There was a large flat screen tv in the room and ample storage including a wardrobe (lights came on when doors were opened) which had plenty of hanging space, a safe (digital) lots of shoe storage etc. There were 2 comfy chairs in the large almost floor to ceiling window with great views of Toronto. There were lots of little extra's: toiletries (shower gel, soap, shampoo, conditioner, replenished daily), nail files, sewing kit, pen/paper/envelopes, toothbrushes (all those things we didn't need to pack! Complimentary slippers, bath robes (to be left for laundering but available to purchase if required). Our room had a 'corner' window; basically another window, albeit about a foot wide this also ran from almost floor to ceiling and enabled us another view of Toronto with it's fantastic buildings of which we were in awe!
Air conditioning was great and easy to use and could be adjusted throughout the suite of rooms.
I felt a little emotional being almost 4,000 miles away from home and a little insecure and found at that point my travel adapter was not going to fit the bill! It may seem a small thing but naturally the phone is contact to home! I went to reception where I met concierge, Hannah, she was brilliant, told me not to worry, she had a travel adapter for me! She proved to be a a brilliant concierge over the next few days, as did others I may add when Hannah was off shift). She recommended places to eat and even booked our theatre tickets to see The Lion King, which I had been nervous about booking before leaving the UK.
We ate in the evening in their 'DEQ' restaurant and the food was lovely; sea bass, green beans, warm salad and 'fries' (not chips-they are crisps over there!). meal for two was around $70 but very good for such a fine place to eat in beautiful surroundings! Laura was our server and we chatted and being 'foreign' to things over there we were anxious to know about tipping correctly etc (had an idea from the internet but felt we needed to get it right!). Laura thanked us for asking and explained how servers earned their wage and that they also had to pay kitchen staff a small amount and tips could mean the difference to a good/bad wage. 10% is expected, 15% if you feel everything good and 20% for exceptional seemed to be the guide which confirmed our research! Laura was a great server and made us feel very at ease.
When we arrived back to our room in the evening we had a beautiful typed note and a place of chocolate dipped strawberries and a plate with napkins left for us! What a lovely surprise. (I had been conversing with the Rizt-Carlton on their Facebook page,just little queries like amenities etc and they had left this treat to say thank you for my interest in the Facebook page!
All in all I would highly recommend the Ritz-Carlton, Room service had also been and turned down the bed, put on the lamps and turned on the radio with soft music! Lovely. (Room service twice daily).
It was a fantastic hotel with warm friendly staff, beautiful surroundings and great views. If I had to offer any small (and it would be minor) criticism at all it would be that I felt the windows should have been cleaner, but as we know Toronto had just come through a harsh winter and it is a phenomenal task cleaning those windows so I am not complaining about that-I just noticed it!However the thing I was surprised about is there was no free wifi (some hotels offer free wifi in the lobby). Wifi was around (and I think i remember correctly-apologies if not) $9 per day. I really think that some limited, free wifi should be included! The other thing which was hard to find was ordinary black decaf tea, there were plenty of fruit flavoured decaf teas but unfortunately they could not give us decaf, I think this would be a good item to add to your list of 'must haves'. We did eventually find some in a local health food shop so I kept a box in the room!
If visiting Toronto I would highly recommend the Ritz-Carlton if you want plush, comfy, friendly and attentive surroundings with easy (on foot) access to all attractions. We visited the CN Tower, China Town, St Lawrence Market (Saturday is best), Lake Ontario, Centre Island (Ferry ride across). All brilliant. Toronto is set out like a 'grid' and all streets are in easy to follow blocks. Take your walking shoes! Good places to eat for snack are Tim Hortons (a kind of McDonalds/Subway mix-try their warm kettle chips-lovely! They are everywhere!), Second Cup was great for coffee/cake, snacks. Most cafes, restaurants have free wifi which was a great bonus for that odd Whatsap (free messages including sending pictures/videos) back home!
We used our $100 voucher toward the meal $70 and decided to treat ourselves on the last morning of our stay to breakfast in the room, which was $61 in total for us both, this included, fresh juice, ice water, cereal, selection pastries and preserves, tea and coffee, immaculately presented and served in our room but I unfortunately the actual breakfast items were not value for money. Breakfast was quite meagre in content, pastries are filling but that was about all!
10/10

Room Tip: High rooms for great views facing CN Tower, request at time of booking! CN Tower looks great when l...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Wannabetravellers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
perth
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I had booked a club room with lake view but were wonderfully surprised with an upgrade to a club suite with lake view. This is the best suite we have ever experienced anywhere (and we've tried a fair few over the years). The decor and general fit out were 6 star. No expense has been spared in making these rooms as comfortable and luxurious as possible and combined with the beautiful facilities on the club floor, this hotel is a must if travelling to Toronto. The service in the executive lounge, overseen by the manager Scott Breen, was absolutely superb in every way. This was indeed a wonderful treat to complete our 4 week holiday in North America.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for a lake view and definitely go for the club floor. The food on offer is superb
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lily017Perth
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stay at the Ritz once a year for business and they never fail to impress. The rooms are spacious and outstandingly clean. The staff is well-trained and their excellent customer service makes you feel at home.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kaykattee
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just finished up a four day stay here and once again, the Ritz impresses. From bell staff, to check-in, through housekeeping, they never fail to go above and beyond. I really enjoyed the thank you notes from housekeeping as well - a nice touch. I hope I can stay at this property every time I visit Toronto in the future. I highly recommend their restaurant Toca where Emily made sure we had an incredible meal.

Room Tip: Suites ending in 05 are really nice!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DougM123
Llucmajor, Spain
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Superbly trained staff who all convey a warm welcome and assist effectively in all situations.
Rooms nicely appointed to the highest standards. Immaculately clean, functioning in all features- and comfortable and stylish, too!
Executive floor with fantastic views and even better service by the most friendly and kind staff!
Worth the while to book an executive floor room!

2 Thank Wolfgang H
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Location, facilities, rooms, bath rooms, food, fitness, conference facilities -everything is perfect! Most important - very friendly and very professional staff! Everywhere very clean, inside and outside. Fantastic!

Room Tip: All the rooms are very large, great view
2 Thank Natalia E
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Toronto June 8-10 and experienced a customer service moment that defines the level of service that Ritz-Carlton provides.
I arrived at the hotel very late (around midnight) and was greeted by very friendly staff. They checked me in quickly and the staff led me to the elevator and used their card to allow me to ride up to my floor. Great security process! The next morning I woke up at 6:55 am to discover that I forgot to pack a dress shirt for my meetings that day. Quite stressed, I called the front desk and asked if they knew any options for finding a 16 & 1/2" dress shirt at that time of day. The lady politely said she would see what she could do. I hopped in the shower with very little hope, wondering how my "casual" look would be perceived during the meetings. Shortly after I got out of the shower (at about 7:15 - 20 minutes after I called the front desk!!) there was a knock on my room door and a staff member holding a clean, pressed, white dress shirt exactly my size. The note attached said "I hope our shirt suits your need. Please fee free to contact me again if I can be of any further assistance. Thank you and have a wonderful day."
Had I been more than 1/2-dressed, I would have hugged the girl who gave me the shirt. Jun Kim with Guest Services truly provided 5-star service.

Room Tip: South view is of the CN Tower. Awesome view. North view is of the city.
3 Thank Kevin C