“Five star hotel”

Ranked #5 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
New York
“Five star hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Excellent hotel. Optimally located near the CN tower and Rogers Centre. Service was outstanding. We stayed on one of the club floors which provided access to the club. The club served a light breakfast, lunch, dinner apps and dessert. The food, service and view was great. Also included alcohol and soft drinks.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Perren W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have always been a fan of Ritz Carlton Hotels and Resorts and in fact a fan of this location in particular. I have stayed at this hotel several times and have always raved about it's service and quality of product however this time the pool was dirty, I mean really dirty with clumps of hair at the bottom of the pool, in the morning hours when you would think the pool should have been cleaned the night before. No towels, dirty towels left on chairs, this area needs a full time staff member not someone from the spa who assists the area. You also cannot order anything from room service to enjoy by the pool side. Just came back from the Four Seasons Vancouver and we got to enjoy always nice drinks and snacks by the pool making our stay a truly memorable one, especially when you are travelling with kids. The change rooms needs a good servicing as well. I was not impressed this time and hope that management puts some noticeable attention to detail in this area. I was also disgusted seeing not the quality of guests we are accustomed to see at a Ritz Carlton carrying beer boxes and Alcohol bags going to their rooms with their coolers. Yuck! We are not going camping folks. We are at the Ritz Carlton, dress the part and enjoy the spirits and beverages from the hotel. This ain't no Motel 6. The spa continues to be our favorite place we like to call our second home to relax and unwind,

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FirstClass001
TimTerceira, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear "First Class Luxury 001",
thank you for sharing your experience and feedback regarding the Pool and Change Room facilities. I am following up immediately with our team and will ensure this is taken care. We have very specific time schedules, Pool Testing and Cleanliness processes in place and I am disappointed that your experience is not aligned with this.

I would also appreciate being contacted directly at tim.terceira@ritzcarlton.com so I may learn more details on timing and also to express my apologies.
Sincerely
Tim Terceira, General Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Yesterday we went to the lobby lounge as their large floral vases in the lobby crashed to the floor, causing a commotion. See photo. Then I went to wash my hands in the men's lavatory in the lobby to find it unusable due to a flooded floor, and I reported it immediately. At the lobby lounge we informed our recently-married waitress we needed 2 veggie plates and we got grilled veggies with no starches, quinoa, rice, tofu, or protein. The veggie sushi roll we ordered fell apart on the dish because of the rice quality. The edamame came doused in a sweet sauce that the menu does not specify. My request for fresh juice met blank stares "We serve Tropicana here" and "the only place to get fresh juice is breakfast here. Today we returned but found the lounge closed, so we ate at DEQ outside, but found our server Cleon even less willing to help with veggie dishes, as "our kitchen isn't open until the main restaurant opens," he said. I couldn't believe they serve from a bar menu in a Ritz with a "closed kitchen," while boasting a hotel offering room service, and chefs on call all the day. No "Let me see what the kitchen is willing to do for you" came. We ordered gnocchi sans most of the ingredients. The hummus platter came full of raw veggies, which we were happy to see, but wondering why he didn't suggest that in the first place. We could have accepted more crudité, for example, and pay extra, to get these veggies. Finally, our tea was so weak that we had to leave it. The Le Creuset pots are a nice touch, but that's not what Le Creuset does well, for the tea from both pots pours improperly, all over the table and floor. The weakness of the tea made the tea like dish water. See the photo. Finally, the tape covering wires on the floor of the Ritz restaurant seems inexcusable to me for an afternoon tea and snack of over $120.00 I wanted to order (and pay for) more tea for my huge pot that contained a teaspoon of loose tea, but by the time my server became available in the afternoon rush, the tea was cold. (I had told the server I wanted my tea strong to ask to pay for extra tea, but he cut me off saying "NO, sir, you control the strength of the tea by how long you leave the strainer in the pot." Normally, yes, but if you only put in 3 small tea leaves, the tea will be weak as you can see from my tea after waiting 10minutes for steeping. The F&B design here is flawed from start to finish from noon until the main restaurant opens, and, even then, no fresh juices are available at this Ritz. We regret going back today to give them a second chance. Ridiculous.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank globaltravelkid
Dear Lawrence,
thank you for your feedback and for sharing your experiences. I am of course disappointed and following up with my team. We gather feedback from multiple channels and while your experience is not typical, it has highlighted an inconsistency and shortfall in execution and genuine care.
I would like to learn more and ask that you contact me directly at tim.terceira@ritzcarlton.com

Sincerely
Tim Terceira
solihul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

The service was excellent, from start to finish. We had delicious cupcakes left in our room on arrival. Location was good close to major attractions. Defiantly lives up to its name....hotel provided complimentary water and coffee which was a nice touch.

Room Tip: If you can upgrade to a club room it's worth doing
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Rek70
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

When my wife and I first arrived, the reception we had seemed a bit over the top. We are a reserved British couple after all! However we quickly realised that the staff are genuinely welcoming. Throughout the hotel we received a very friendly reception.

The staff in the club lounge quickly got to know us and looked after us superbly.

Our only regret was that we had not scheduled a longer stay as we were en route to New York. We will be back as soon as we can.

The highlights of the stay were the trip to the zoo in a limo the hotel found for less than the price of a standard taxi. Meeting old friends my wife had not seen for 20 years. AND last but not least the upgrade to a corner suite which was palatial.

Having been lucky to travel for work, I have stayed in many fine hotels. Watch out Shangri La, this Ritz Carlton is even better than you!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

A fantastic hotel located within the Theatre District, with plenty of bars to choose from. The CN Tower and harbour front is just behind the hotel and within easy walking distance.

The hotel itself was luxurious and the staff were extremely helpful and polite. The only niggle was that you had to pay for Wifi in your room and having paid a 5* price for the hotel I would of thought that it would of been included. However Wifi was available in the lobby free of charge.

Car hire was arranged via concierge with no fuss at all. They were extremely helpful and efficient whilst we were planning our trip to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake.

We had a late flight home and needed to freshen up before hand and thankfully were able to use the Spa facilities to shower and change - a lovely gesture by the concierge.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Although this is a beautiful property there were many things that didn't work in our room, we had to call to get new batteries for the the tv remote, the bose system didn't work, someone had to come and reconnect all the wires and the guy who came made it seem like we should have known what to do, the coffee maker didn't work, it had to be replaced AND they didn't replace food items from the mini bar the 3 nights we were there and when I phoned to get someone to replace the tin of nuts, room service showed up wondering what I wanted. All of these things wouldn't matter to me if at any point someone in management would have contacted me to apologize for everything or treat us to a glass of wine or something but there was no mention of it and I actually wonder if anyone in management was aware of all these things. It's not about being perfect but perfectly managing issues that arise. I did however REALLY enjoy the glass of champagne as I was checking in!

Stayed July 2014