“Chotto disappointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Sweetheart Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 114 Toronto B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Chotto disappointing”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Was OK: room OK, breakfast was stingy and disappointing. Good location but felt slightly "uncomfortable" at times. Wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I'm actually an Oakville native who had to stay in Toronto for a few days due to personal business. As a result, I looked into booking really last minute, and contacted Sweetheart mostly based on their price and location. Joe and Kimiko informed me they were out of single/double rooms but would give me the basement suite for the price of the single! They also provided parking for the nights we needed. Awesome.

The night I arrived (with a friend), Kimiko and her staff greeted us quite cheerily. A staff member walked us through the payment procedure and general conduct. She told us breakfast is simple and self-serve. It also seemed to be operating more as a guesthouse than a bed and breakfast.

They were nice enough to accommodate me when my friend ended up staying an extra few nights with me last minute. Staff/guests all are very friendly, say hello (albeit in Japanese) when you run into them in the hallway. :)

The basement suite that I stayed in has a giant bed (I think it's a king) and a small, single bed. Has a decent sized TV, own heating, and a private bathroom. I guess the only thing I was unhappy about is the bathroom. It's nice that I got a private bathroom, but the drain in the shower was terrible. It got to a point where the water level reached my ankles. The pressure isn't bad, they provide towels, shampoo, and plenty of toilet paper, but man -- the place could use some Drainol.

Oh, and one other thing. They have coin-op washing machine and dryer I think you can use if you want (I didn't). That's great and all, but the machines are right next to the basement suite, and on the first night, there was a guy doing laundry at 11pm. There are notices on the wall that say to limit use after 5/6pm... so I guess if those rules were a bit more enforced, this would not have been a problem...

So, in conclusion - sweet location (5 minutes to Queen's Park subway station), competitive price, nice people... not so awesome drainage. Pretty good TV selection (if that matters), high speed internet, a nice and quiet neighbourhood...

I'd recommend it, 'cause I'd stay again. ^^

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Adrienne K
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

First of all I want to make it clear that I don't complain in general, however this review I feel is very fair.

This was the last stop in a 3 week driving tour around eastern Canada. We had stayed at 7 B&Bs in total during our stay, and unfortunately this was our least favourite shall I say. My biggest disappointment perhaps is that I thought this would be one of the best.

PROs:
1. Big room (basement suite)
2. Location is fantasic (20min walk to main city, 5 min walk to metro station)
3. Friendly staff

Unfortunately that's it

CONs:
1. Very very dirty room (mold all over the bathroom, dirty marks on walls/doors. The rooms are clearly not cleaned to any real standard.
2. Towels never changed (4 nights!) and by the end our room smelled damp.
3. Breakfast...well I wouldnt call it that. After the secod morning we had to just eat out. Bread and bagels...that's it!

Overall just run down, a few things need to be addressed considering the cost of the place. This has the potential, and maybe was better in the past, but very poor overall and would compare to a 2 star motel. I'm not being harsh as I said at the start, this is completely honest.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CarlAndJoanna
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Members of the staff were very friendly and helpful

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2011

we stay at sweetheart at least twice a year, usually five days or more each time. we have made friends with japanese who have visited us in ottawa and whom we've visited in japan. Before finding sweetheart we stayed at many places in Toronto, all of them only half the value of sweetheart.
we travel outside Canada for five or so months per year and never thought we'd find a place in toronto that represents the same value as places in japan, chile, germany and so on.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Picton
Reviewed 19 April 2011

My Husband and I stayed at this B&B some days ago.We went to Toronto from Prince Edward County. This time our trip to Toronto was for my husband's operation. I thank the owners for helping us a lot. They have a very good staff who works hard to keep everything clean. We had a very cozy stay this year and last time too. The owner and her Husband are very nice. My husband needed to stay in a very clean place after the operation. We will come back to this B&B in the fall again. We would recommend this cozy and happy B&B to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple