“Overall a nice hotel -- welcome addition to Toronto”

Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto
Ranked #3 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Vancouver, Canada
“Overall a nice hotel -- welcome addition to Toronto”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I'm in Toronto about once a month for business, so I've seen most of the nicer hotels downtown. The Trump is in the top three, although it has just enough downsides for me to say it's not the best hotel in town.

They are definitely trying hard for a five-star look and feel and for the most part they achieve it, although they're trying too hard. The normal rooms (I had a "superior" room) are quite spacious, and reasonably tastefully decorated in black & grey. Everything is automated, from the lighting to the drapes & shades. The bed is very comfortable, and the marble bathroom is spacious, with a separate toilet, bathtub, and shower with handheld shower & overhead rain showerhead. (It is, however, a bit disconcerting that the bathtub is right in front of a giant window facing on an office building, but there is a shade to put down.) Wifi is free and pretty fast. The workout room and pool are very nice.

I do have a few minor quibbles that keep me from giving the hotel five stars. The worst was that the fan in my room rattled loudly, which is a problem when trying to sleep, and I slept very poorly the first night before I figured out how to turn it off. The room gets chilly in the winter with the fan off, though. I don't expect a brand-new hotel to have rattling fans like an old Best Western. The heated floors in the bathroom didn't work, either -- which might have helped with the temperature when the heater fan was off. Also, the TV in the bathroom worked only sporadically; I'd get audio and a white screen the first time I turned it on, and then if I turned it off and on a few more times I'd finally get video. In the end I was able to deal with all these myself, so I didn't request help, although I have no doubt that they would have helped had I asked. However, these are all things I've never encountered at the Ritz-Carlton, where everything in the room has always been in perfect working order.

The hotel's as classy as anything you could expect with the name "Trump" on it -- not gaudy and gauche like the Trump Tower in New York, but you will still see the name Trump everywhere, which does tend to degrade the elegance of the hotel. Also, they're trying a bit too hard -- they have a small lobby which has no fewer than six staff in it at all times. You can't push the revolving door by yourself; someone is stationed there to push it for you. You can't call the elevator on your own; someone does it for you. Some people may feel this is pampering; for me it takes away from the quiet elegance of the place and makes it feel as though it's striving too hard. For this reason (and the loud fan), I'm unlikely to come back even though it is, overall, a very nice hotel. I think I'm more the Ritz-Carlton type; you'll have to decide for yourself.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank OffTheBeatenPath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My husband and I recently spent a Romantic weekend at the Trump. We were so pleased by our choice. Starting by the friendly Doorman to Andrea the most helpful and pleasant Concierge. The atmosphere is of elegance and Luxury. Our room was very well appointed, extremely clean. the bathroom was quite large with a gorgeous and inviting deep Tub. My husband enjoyed the extra amenity of having a television within the bathroom mirror. Free Wifi was wonderful as it should be in every Hotel. We will return for sure!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda_Peter2
TrumpToronto, General Manager at Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto.

I am delighted to read you enjoyed the various amenities we offer and would also like to sincerely thank you for commending our service team. Your kind recognition has been very well received by our associate team!

We look forward to welcoming you again to Trump Toronto on future occasions!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Trump in mid December. (Sorry for late review). The hotel is beautiful with a magnificent lobby, and Awesome spa and gym. I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite....it very comfortable and beautifully decorated. Highlights were the heated floors in the bathroom and fireplace in the siting area. Staff was professional and polite. I wanted to do some work outside of my room. There was a private party in the lobby bar. So I went up to STOCK, the trendy restaurant. They were also busy, the hosted noticed my lap-top, Asked if I was staying in the hotel, and had their team set me up with a table and chair in the bar area. They made me feel special and important (which I am not). All in all a fine experience, and a great property....just very price compared to 4S and RC.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Joshshapiro
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your stay at Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto.

I am delighted to see your comments recognizing the fine details throughout our property and I am extremely thankful to read our associate team was able to assist in making your stay with us most comfortable.

Thank you again for posting a review on TripAdvisor; we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

A welcome change, a good hotel to stay in downtown Toronto. After years of staying in older properties which were not 5 stars I was more than happy to stay in this excellent hotel. From decor to amenities everything is 5 stars. Keep in mind that you get what you pay for so be prepared.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Alfizspm
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us at Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto.

I greatly appreciate your kind words and I am pleased to read you enjoyed the amenities and décor throughout our property.

We look forward to welcoming you again to Trump Toronto on future occasions!

brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I just returned from my 2nd stay at the Trump Hotel this year and it was even better than the first. The rooms are large, the bathrooms have everything you could possibly ask for and then some. The health club, restaurant and service are incredible. While both my stays have been for business, coming home to a most spacious, luxurious hotel that is convenient to everything is a perfect way to combine business with pleasure. I am sure to return soon!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank lsmbklyn
Toronto
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Just spent a weekend at Trump with my wife. Service was spot on. Rooms are well appointed. Had a couples massage at Quartz spa, massage therapists were exceptional.

Free wifi is a nice touch, never been a fan of paying extra for this at hotels of the this calibre.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunsandlovin
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2013

In April we had a meeting of about 50 aesthetic Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons, and about 50 guests from industry and from other countries.

There are 4-5 other 5 star hotels in Toronto, and by the time the meeting was over we were so happy with the Trump and the Trump staff that the general consensus was that rather than trying another 5 star hotel for the next meeting we should just come back to the Trump, it was that good.

My wife and I had a lovely one bedroom suite with a fireplace in the living room, and every aspect was ideal. My only suggestion would be that [like many hight end hotels] the labels on the shampoo and conditioner in the shower are in such a small typeface that they can't be read without glasses. Just about everyone who stays at such hotels is of an age where they need to wear glasses, so if the hotel can find a way to put TRUMP in 14 pt. type on the bottles, they ought to be able to put SHAMPOO or CONDITIONER in 14 pt. type to eliminate the only frustration or annoyance of my entire stay.

Room Tip: 1 BR suite with fireplace is a good choice.