“Great 4*, but sadly not a 5* hotel”

The Adelaide Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I travel the world and have 300+ reviews. So when the desk clerk indicates this is a 5* property and the top rated Toronto hotel, it's game on. When you promote your property as a 5*, you're playing on a world level, not trying to beat the Courtyard down the street.

The property misses because it's so busy trying to remind you it's a "5* hotel" it forgets to be a "5* hotel.". I've stayed in 5* hotels, this isn't one. I stay as part of a major bank.

The mark of a 5* hotel is that the entire staff has a keen sense of what the guest wants and operates nearly invisibly. I'm a professional traveler, don't bother me. If you're in from Hamilton for a girl's weekend, well maybe you do. In short - the entire service experience seems quite forced.

Service is also very inconsistent. Not a trait of a 5* hotel. Sometimes, they would open the door for me, sometimes not. Sometimes a staff member would rush to push the elevator button for me, course the one time I was holding 19 items, their key didn't work. A call to housekeeping took two calls to get answered.

The first early evening, I went up to the restaurant/bar and since it was a nice out wanted to have drink on the smallish outdoor patio. I was immediately seated. Despite the place being nearly empty, I waited 15 minutes with no service, I departed (no drink) noting the numerous staff chatting it up at the bar. The poor hostess realizing a major faux pas has occurred chased me to the elevator apologizing but alas another star now gone. 5* hotels get no leeway sadly.

The building and rooms are new. They're nicely appointed and comfortable. The lighting system though is a major disaster. It's electronic "mood" setting, could be nice but the problem is it's all one system. Hence if you're in the bed and someone is in the bathroom and you turn off the lights - all the lights go out (including the bathroom). The room hallway is dark and there was no way to have lowered lights in the room and bright ones in the hallway. Sadly, I have neither the time nor inclination to learn about a lighting system in a hotel room. Direct lighting over the bed was garish (hint no one looks good with direct overhead lighting).

The drapes were equally frustrating, electronic, I had two sets (one window faced a busy office, the other had a view). Unfortunately, you couldn't have one open and the other closed.

The entire room is littered with Trump paraphernalia touting how great a hotel this was. I threw it all in a corner. The bathroom is large n' nice but equally the counter space had no room for my personal effects.

If you want a 5* experience in Toronto, stay at the Four Seasons.

There is nothing wrong with this hotel per se, the room is certainly fine, the staff friendly. But when you've set your own bar as the top hotel in the city and a 5* property ranking in the world's best, you probably don't want my keen eyes to visit you. Trump properties simply aren't a world brand.

9  Thank roadwarrior30
Write a ReviewReviews (1,977)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

You would have to really try hard to fault anything at Trump Toronto!
Location is central for business and shopping. Service and attention by staff was perfect.
I must remember in future to take a staff members name down for praise with service as the hotels always send surveys after the stay and ask for someone's name who deserves recognition.
Only wish Trump Vegas could learn from Trump Toronto and Trump Chicago.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

It was our first visit to Toronto, an unexpected one, as we had won a raffle at my partners work to go and watch the Blue Jays. We wanted to stay somewhere downtown for easy accessibility for wandering around the city and exploring.
Having two children we wanted a room that offered a separate room for the children to stay in so we could still have our privacy to enjoy our unexpected trip. This is something we have found difficult to find, unless paying a costly price for a second room or two floor room. However at the Trump, with there excellent sized rooms, we were able to stay in an affordable room which had a separate lounge area with pull out double. Not only was it a separate room but it had a partitioning door, which having a 2year old and 8year old was fantastic as we were able to let them go to bed watching a movie while we watched a different movie in the other room without any disturbance to them. The rate which we picked was the weekend getaway rate, which included complimentary parking and two full breakfasts, which considering how much parking downtown can cost as well as breakfasts, wasn't that different to that of the price I had originally seen on the Expedia website. Again as well as having a family trip, it is nice to be able to spend some time together. We really enjoyed our stay, not only at the hotel but in Toronto, the concierge recommended Ripley's Aquarium which both big and little kids enjoyed.
From the moment we walked through the door until we left, on a late departure at no extra cost, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The children were given a soft plush toy and baseball cap, and the turn down requests we mentioned off hand when our luggage arrived were met without an mention of a reminder.
It was our first visit to one of the Trump collective hotels, and it most definitely wont be our last.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charlottexwx
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is our 3rd time there and it's our home away from home, we love it there, beautiful suite, great service, wonderful food at Stock restaurant, if you haven't stayed there, you should definitely try it!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I'm in Toronto on business about 20 or so nights per year. My mainstay hotel has been the Hilton for many years due to location, service and room quality. That said, I've stayed just about everywhere in the downtown core....and a few months back I could only get in at Trump, so I decided to book there.

After one night there, I now have a hard time staying anywhere else. The experience is simply second to none. You are greeted with care, you are helped to the elevator, the rooms are absolutely gorgeous and the overall service experience is well beyond what you would ever expect. Having now stayed there on four additional occasions, I can state that all the above is absolutely consistent time and time again. Every room is flawless and every detail is always considered.

I still love my Hilton points, but Trump is by far and away the best. I highly recommend it.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stunning new property with excellent facilities. The location is as central as it gets for business and the hotel provides a good base for meetings and down time. Downtown Toronto does not have any hotels at this quality level, you need to go uptown a few miles to hit the real 5 star hotels so this is first in it's class in the area. The day time advantage turns into a slight disadvantage at night when the area empties out and you need to move uptown for any activity.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I only stayed for one night (just to check it out) but the one bedroom suite was beautiful and comfortable with all the bells and whistles so I wished I stayed longer. The attention to detail such as the multiple light settings, electronic window shades, fireplace, fast and friendly service make the experience most pleasurable. I also enjoyed the Sunday brunch. The food and view was great especially when the weather warmed up enough to sit outside. I definitely recommend the suite for a romantic get-away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple