“Niagara falls freedom tour with helicopter ride”
Review of Gray Line Toronto

and up
Niagara Falls Day Trip from Toronto
Ranked #29 of 126 Tours in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: For 100 years, Gray Line has been recognized as the world's leader in sightseeing. Gray Line Toronto is offering a number of sightseeing excursions that fits any travellers' needs. Our signature Niagara Falls Full Day and Niagara Falls Evening Light Tour offer a full day, fully escorted excursion which includes lunch or dinner, a ride on the Hornblower, wine tasting, a drive through the historic community of Niagara-on-the-Lake, and a number of photo stops. Gray Line Toronto also offers our signature Hop-on-Hop-Off Double Decker City Tour of Toronto. Toronto City Tour tickets are valid for three days allowing flexibility to explore the city of Toronto at one's own leisure.
Lloydminster, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Niagara falls freedom tour with helicopter ride”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked this tour to Niagara Falls a month in advance with exchanges of emails that included my cell number confirming we were to be picked up in front of our hotel at 940am. No bus so I call at 950 and was informed that they called our hotel the day before saying the pickup has been moved to a central location.....15 min walk away and now its 955am, we showed up and bus had left on time but we were 10 min late.

Why the he77 would you call our hotel and not email or call my cell, and I do understand it would have been a long distance call.

Here's where everything turns for the better and had an awesome trip. When we got to the central pickup a rep named Liz was still there and got us booked in for the noon bus to do same trip but with supper and fireworks show. She was awesome about it and very apologetic. We get picked up at our hotel with a different rep named Allan who does talk a lot on the way to Niagara but its worth it as he explains everything ya need to know and made it a good trip. We visited a winery once near the falls and then we stopped by for our helicopter ride except it just started raining and it was cancelled. I realize ya cant control the weather but if we were picked up in the morning we would have gotten this ride, and it was the main reason I got the package. We then got to Niagara for supper at a hotel buffet which was really good then for the Hornblower boat ride into the falls. Toured some more and finished with a fireworks show. Back at hotel at midnight.

I'm giving a 4/5 because it is a great tour but im still pissed about the morning pickup and not getting the helicopter ride. Allan said they will refund us for the ride which is good of them but I haven't seen it yet as we just flew home last night.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Helperl
Gray L, Manager at Gray Line Toronto, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor.

I was reading through your comments and would like to help understand the inconvenience you received the day of your tour. In addition to various highway and road closures the city does alot of Marathon/Walks/Runs for great causes. On this Sunday they did close down half of the city making it impossible to get a highway coach to pick you up for the tour. I am looking through our records and see that we did attempt to contact you, however it was unsuccessful. Being in the customer service industry we wanted to go a step further so our staff had called the hotel to leave a message.
I apologize that you missed the AM tour, but I am pleased that you had the opportunity to see the falls during the day, as well as illuminated for at night...with the added bonus of the fireworks. I would also like to apologize for not being able to take the helicopter ride due to mother nature.
Your tour guide Allan did let us know of this, and I personally have refunded your credit card for the helicopter portion. Please note it may take up to 7 days to reflect on your statement.

In the future if you are to return to Toronto/Niagara Falls please contact me and I can arrange a helicopter ride for you and your guest on us.(Fingers crossed mother nature keeps her end of the deal) Please email me at toronto@grayline.ca

Lincoln
203 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 265 helpful votes
“OK- it served it's purpose but the day was too long”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I was picked up from my downtown Toronto hotel at 9.35am in a less than impressive coach and after other hotel pick ups it was 10.10am before we left the coach station for Niagara Falls. It took exactly 2 hours to get the helipad for those taking the spectacular flight over the falls. I gather those who didn't do it were left to wait in a café for c 40 minutes or so.

We arrived at Niagara itself about 1pm and were there for 2 hours, at which time most of my group went off and had lunch for an hour in a hotel room when one of the world's great scenic sites was outside. The other hour was planned to be mostly spent on the Maid of The Mist/ Hornblower boats that take you very close to the Falls and give you a good drenching!

Personally and I will be in a great minority I didn't bother with either although I had prepaid for the boat ride. Quite simply I preferred to wander along the very nicely laid out walkway from the American Falls to the Horseshoe Falls - very nice parkland to the right. Yes Niagara town is a bit run down in places and tacky in others but you don't have to go there!

Both falls are spectacular but most believe the Horsehoe Falls are the better - I could have stayed by them all afternoon. There is a nice Queen Victoria Place gift shop near the 'Horseshoe' with good adjacent toilets. So I was back at the bus for for 3pm for the short journey to the Horseshoe Falls where I had already been - admittedly my choice. It was 12 minutes late leaving because of some tardy passengers. As I was supposedly on the 'Freedom' Day Trip, why didn't they give you the option to be dropped off at 1pm and then meet again at the Horseshoe departure at 4pm - they are only a few hundred metres apart! It would give you a clear 3 hours to do exactly as you want.

We moved to the historic town of Niagara On The Lake - absolutely fantastic - a great town to see. I could have stayed there all afternoon - we were there about 30 minutes so I had no chance to look round and never saw Lake Ontario. Simply not enough time here and I wasn't the only one who thought that.

We arrived at the winery at 5.35pm and by now I had been on the go for over 8 hours and really would have been happy to head back to Toronto. Tasted a couple of wines and I paid $2 for a small glass of their speciality Ice wine - not to my taste but it did shift my cough. Simply not worth stopping here, particularly so late in the day.

Emil was a jovial and genial tour guide but his jokes did wear a 'bit thin' after 7/8 hours. On the way back for some unaccountable reason, on the screens we had to endure episodes of Dean Martin shows from the 1950's. - why didn't they put on tourism films? I was dropped off at my hotel at 7.50pm so had been out for 10.5 hours - too long.

In summary, the day served it's purpose in that I saw the Niagara Falls, did the helicopter ride and fleetingly saw the wonderful town of Niagara On The Lake. Clearly I couldn't have done this very easily travelling independently. From a tourists point of view, I would have rather set off two hours earlier, had longer by myself at Niagara Falls, had two hours or so at Niagara On The Lake and not called at the winery but it is all down to personal choice.

Despite some negative comments it is a day I enjoyed and will always remember fondly.

Visited May 2014
Gray L, Manager at Gray Line Toronto, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Andrew B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our tour. I do agree that we could all sit by the falls all day as it is memorizing. Being in the tourism industry for a 100 years we try to ensure that all passengers whether they come from near or far, get the opportunity to experience all that Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake have to offer.

I'm sorry you felt this was too long for you. We should have explained to you before you purchased the tour package that you would get "more free time" had you chosen the Freedom tour package.

Please accept our apologies and we hope to welcome you to the beauty Niagara has to offer on a return trip.

Iowa City, Iowa
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Great value for money, humorous guide”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

A friend and I took this tour in June on an overcast, rainy day. Our pickup was originally at the bus depot, but there was an event downtown so we got picked up a few blocks from our hotel. The lunch was far above my expectations, tons of options & incredibly tasty for a buffet. The view was great too.
The boat trip was great & so was Niagara on the Lake & the winery. The rain put a little damper on the visit to the town- if there's rain in the forecast bring an umbrella, you'll want it! The winery provides an opportunity to try Ice Wine at one of the leading producers. It did cost $6 to sample 2 ice wines, but regular wines were free.
The guide offered to drop us off at the restaurant we planned to eat at that evening. I appreciated their flexibility & hospitality. He was very chatty & made a few jabs at the United States, it's OK I can take a joke. He was nice, on time & the tour was well organized.

Dubai
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Great Service.!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I really enjoyed my tour with Gray Line. we booked the full day tour . The service started On time, our Tour Guide, Grant, was very Nice man with good knowledge . he was very helpful. Highly Recommended.

Visited May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Wasilla, Alaska
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Afternoon/Evening Niagara Falls with lights and fireworks!!”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our afternoon started out a little later than scheduled due to the construction going on in Toronto, but getting picked up directly at our hotel was a major plus! Anthony, our wonderful driver, got us safely through town and on the road to what was an amazing day. Our friendly tour guide, Allen, was very knowledgeable of local history and his delivery of the information was engaging. He kept everyone happy and moving along at a comfortable pace. We had a yummy wine tasting along the way. A stop for a helicopter ride or a cable car like ride across the whirlpool for those that wanted a little more adventure. Once in Niagara Falls we had a very good buffet dinner, with selections that would delight even the pickiest eater. There was plenty of free time for shopping or exploring too. But the star of this show were the falls themselves!!! What raw beauty!! Then we got to get up close and personal with a ride on the Hornblower. The evening ended with a lighting of the falls and a spectacular fireworks show!! It was a full and fun filled day spent with people from all over the world sharing nature's beauty. This is not to be missed!!

Visited June 2014
TorontoGrayline, Manager at Gray Line Toronto, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Gray Line on TripAdvisor.

While we do praise Allan's work we agree that the Falls steals the show!

Glad you shared your feedback, and were glad that we were part of your vacation.

We look forward to welcoming you in the future.