“The service was, frankly, not good...food very tasty”

Uncle Betty's Diner
Ranked #2,854 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We arrived Saturday at 12:45 PM. A very busy time. Waited about ten minutes for a table (there are about twenty tables in the restaurant).

Our server immediately asked if we wanted water or coffee...but he did it so aggressively, it caused a little discomfort. We all simply ordered water. Minutes later, brunch menus arrived and quickly our order was taken.

We then sat for about 40 minutes (not kidding) waiting for our two breakwich sandwiches (egg and cheese inside a doughnut) and stacked French toast to arrive. I don't care how busy a diner is, 40 minutes is ridiculous.

When the food did arrive, my wife's sandwich had side bacon on it, rather than the peameal bacon she had ordered. Our server realized this was a mistake, but then aggressively insisted my wife immediately decide if she wanted him to take it back or would live with it. Considering we'd already waited the better part of an hour for the food, she opted to keep what we had.

At that point, I reminded our server that I'd also ordered a coffee. He brought it quickly and said he'd comp it considering the bacon mix-up. Then - you guessed it - the coffee appeared on the bill.

At this point, I was pretty much ready to pay and hit the road...but I decided to mention the coffee just to see the reaction. He was, clearly, not happy that I had brought this up. No apology...he just quickly re-printed a bill with the coffee removed.

The breakwich sandwiches and French toast were, all agreed, very tasty. But the service was, frankly, enough to make me think really hard about visiting Uncle Betty's again.

1  Thank slansky
There are newer reviews for Uncle Betty's Diner

Reviewed 1 December 2013

i walked in to uncle betty's and instantly knew this would be a good diner by the decor. We got served and the food is amazing. The service is great and we got free dessert. The waiters are friendly and our food was made well.There were lots of options to choose from, so we had a hard time, but what we chose was great.I will go back soon.

1  Thank Arthur P
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently dined at ‘Uncle Betty's Diner’ with 4 others for breakfast, while staying in the Yonge-Eglinton area. Last time I was in this area, we tried Sunset Grill and thought we need to try a better place next time.

Unfortunately, despite hearing ‘you got to try this place’ from a few different people, we quickly realized Uncle Betty’s was not much better than the aforementioned .

The food was OK at best, despite sounding really tempting on the menu. When we (eventually) received our plates, we all agreed it was not quite what we had expected, very underwhelming for sure. The portions were small and really not that tasty, somewhat bland, and we all had different items for the most part.

The service was non-existent, as evident in the many reviews of this diner. It is not often I suggest we don’t tip at all, but quite honestly leaving even the minimal tip we did just didn’t feel right, given our experience.

I don’t foresee being a repeat customer.

1  Thank MusicManOntario
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My girlfriend and I really enjoy the food at Uncle Betty's but the service consistently lacks quality. Neverthess, we invited friends, who were from out of town, to go for there for dinner and as always, the service lived up to its reputation of being nothing short of bad. Our server for the night went by the name of "Ramsey" who 1) made us wait incredibly long for a restaurant that had 3 other tables and ample staff, 2) was not personable, 3) pretended to have such a good memory that writing down our orders seemed incomprehensible to him, 4) never replenished our empty water glasses, 5) made us wait " again" and quite long too if I may add to order desserts, 5) didn't seem bothered to write down again even though he had a blank look when I told him the three scoops of nice cream with three toppings I wanted, 5) passed our dessert orders to another person who had to come back and ask us again what we wanted and completely forgot our friends orders, 6) "Ramsey" never bringing that coffee that we ordered and best is 6) refused to split a bill for 2 couples, because I guess math isn't his forte (we were never asked if we wanted separate bills).

I have to say, Uncle Betty's is quite unique but a vibrant area like Yonge and Eglinton has too many good restaurants for people to want to deal with bad service. Frankly, we were quite embarrassed for even suggesting this place to our friends and if the owners dont smarten up ( I have read more reviews on the same server), Uncle Betty's will lose a lot of customers. We are definitely not going back.

5  Thank FoodieMonkey28
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We went to Uncle Betty's for brunch this morning. We sat without a server for quite awhile and finally a young black man came to our table. He took our orders without writing down what we said. This didn't work well as our orders came out with two mistakes and our server never even asked if our order was ok. My wife and I both ordered coffee but the server never once asked if we wanted more. Then my daughter spilled something on her clothes so my wife asked the server for more napkins and he said ok but then actually walked right past the napkins and did not bring any so I got up and got some myself.

I thought that the food was good but will not return to Uncle Betty's because the service is so bad.

3  Thank Doc5720