“Will never return!”

Uncle Betty's Diner
Ranked #1,741 of 8,443 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Diner, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: North End
Uxbridge
“Will never return!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Talk about a disappointment. I'd heard of Uncle Betty's from other people, and then saw them featured on You Gotta Eat Here, so we decided to make the drive from Uxbridge with the kids, and get a nice lunch. We arrived at roughly 2:10 pm and when we walked in, a female server approached us, and said that they were just changing over from brunch to their lunch/dinner menu, so asked if we wanted to leave and come back in about 20 minutes. We asked if we could just sit and wait so she put us at a table. About 15 minutes later, a server asked if he could at least get us some drinks. Finally at around 2:45, our server was told he could finally take our order.

My daughter had ordered the kids' chicken fingers and when they finally arrived, they were obviously overcooked. She was so hungry she didn't care and began eating. I took a nibble and while they were supposed to be breaded with Captain Crunch cereal, I did not detect anything other than a bland, slightly burnt tasting finger. My husband ordered the Ultimate Grilled Cheese sandwich with an optional fried egg on top. When it arrived, the toast was also slightly burned, but we needed to eat at this point and didn't want to wait for another sandwich.Well, after 3 or 4 bites, he asked me if his egg looked fried to me. Nope, most definitely a scrambled egg. He waved our server over and asked him if this was a fried egg. The server looked really embarrassed and said, "oh my goodness, that's not fried, it's scrambled" He apologized and asked if my husband wanted a fried egg on the side. My husband also showed him the toast and said it was burned and hard as rock. The server again apologized and asked if he wanted another sandwich made. My husband said he would appreciate that. About ten minutes later, the server came out and placed a plate in front of my husband. HALF a sandwich! I guess the kitchen staff figured since my husband ate 3 bites from the first half, he was only entitled to half a replacement sandwich. Even though he was annoyed,my husband began to eat the sandwich, and realized that they merely replaced the top piece of toast. The scrambled egg was still on the sandwich. My guess, is that they had leftovers from their brunch, and didn't want to waste it.

When the bill came, nothing had even been discounted. The server place ONE mini donut in the middle of our table, for the trouble. ONE donut. We called him over and said we were not going to pay full price for a sandwich that didn't come as he ordered it, and especially since he only got half a sandwich. The server explained he was new and had to ask the other servers what to do. Five minutes later they brought a new bill with a $5 off a $14 sandwich. We left the donut on the table and left after paying. We will never go back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank KMF0119

Toronto, Canada
“The best brunch/lunch place in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We love Uncle Betty's. It's our go-to place for brunch and lunch during the week and on weekends. It is very busy/crowded on weekends so be prepared to wait in line, but the wait is definately worth it. The servers are excellent and make the entire dining experience enjoyable. The food is not for the faint of heart - it's yummy but pretty high in calories. The BLT with avocado is awesome and the fries are the best in the city. Eggs are always done as ordered and portions are large. Salads are generous and delish and burgers are great. Love this restaurant!

Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“The service was, frankly, not good...food very tasty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

We arrived Saturday at 12:45 PM. A very busy time. Waited about ten minutes for a table (there are about twenty tables in the restaurant).

Our server immediately asked if we wanted water or coffee...but he did it so aggressively, it caused a little discomfort. We all simply ordered water. Minutes later, brunch menus arrived and quickly our order was taken.

We then sat for about 40 minutes (not kidding) waiting for our two breakwich sandwiches (egg and cheese inside a doughnut) and stacked French toast to arrive. I don't care how busy a diner is, 40 minutes is ridiculous.

When the food did arrive, my wife's sandwich had side bacon on it, rather than the peameal bacon she had ordered. Our server realized this was a mistake, but then aggressively insisted my wife immediately decide if she wanted him to take it back or would live with it. Considering we'd already waited the better part of an hour for the food, she opted to keep what we had.

At that point, I reminded our server that I'd also ordered a coffee. He brought it quickly and said he'd comp it considering the bacon mix-up. Then - you guessed it - the coffee appeared on the bill.

At this point, I was pretty much ready to pay and hit the road...but I decided to mention the coffee just to see the reaction. He was, clearly, not happy that I had brought this up. No apology...he just quickly re-printed a bill with the coffee removed.

The breakwich sandwiches and French toast were, all agreed, very tasty. But the service was, frankly, enough to make me think really hard about visiting Uncle Betty's again.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank slansky
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great diner with amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

i walked in to uncle betty's and instantly knew this would be a good diner by the decor. We got served and the food is amazing. The service is great and we got free dessert. The waiters are friendly and our food was made well.There were lots of options to choose from, so we had a hard time, but what we chose was great.I will go back soon.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Arthur P
Ontario
“Average Food - Terrible Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I recently dined at ‘Uncle Betty's Diner’ with 4 others for breakfast, while staying in the Yonge-Eglinton area. Last time I was in this area, we tried Sunset Grill and thought we need to try a better place next time.

Unfortunately, despite hearing ‘you got to try this place’ from a few different people, we quickly realized Uncle Betty’s was not much better than the aforementioned .

The food was OK at best, despite sounding really tempting on the menu. When we (eventually) received our plates, we all agreed it was not quite what we had expected, very underwhelming for sure. The portions were small and really not that tasty, somewhat bland, and we all had different items for the most part.

The service was non-existent, as evident in the many reviews of this diner. It is not often I suggest we don’t tip at all, but quite honestly leaving even the minimal tip we did just didn’t feel right, given our experience.

I don’t foresee being a repeat customer.

• Visited October 2013