“You get what you pay for, sort of.”
Review of Ada's Guesthouse

Ada's Guesthouse
Ranked #63 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“You get what you pay for, sort of.”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

While I expected to get the bare minimum here for such a low price, I expected a bit more in terms of cleanliness. There really was no assistance from the guesthouse. We were checked in and that was that, there is no front desk or customer assistance. We were supposed to get a free breakfast but if we can't get in touch with anyone at the house....you get the point.

I've stayed at other hostels in private rooms in Toronto for slightly more but I would gladly pay $5 more per night for a decent bathroom that's clean (not full of hair that isn't mine) with a functioning shower head. Beware drivers, parking is NOT included either so you'll have to risk parking in the residential area without a permit or spend some cash for a parking garage.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RapJs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 6 April 2013

good, clean, very safe place, near to many facilities and public transportation, good price
very good for short stay, but because no kitchen in it, only microwave, i won't recommend it for long stay
it is very quite, rooms are clean, contains TV, MICROWAVE, refrigerator, and free wifi

Room Tip: room in the upper stairs is much larger and has good view than lower one all rooms are very quiet...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Rastatt, Germany
Reviewed 8 October 2012

It was a bit hard to find due to one way streets,but once we were there getting about was easy.
The subway station is just a short walk away, as are various pubs.

Our room was clean, the bed was a bit tight after being used to a kingsized one, but comfortable. there was a wide screen TV, a fridge,microwave, and wifi.
All in all I can give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed September 2012
Ontario
Reviewed 13 September 2012

I have stayed at Ada's guest house twice while volunteering at TIFF. It is a great location and very close to the Sherbourne subway station.
Each room has a full bathroom, fridge and microwave, and large TV. I had room 7 this year; last year had room 1 which was larger and on the ground floor. However the room upstairs was more than adequate. The bed was very comfortable and I appreciasted the WiFi.

My only negative was the bathroom could have been cleaner but Norbert (manager) was most appologetic and planned to talk to the cleaners. The rest of the room was very clean.

Next year I may pass on the breakfast offered at Eggsmart restaurant across the street as there is a No Frills grocery store close by and negotiate a lower price and ask for a coffee pot in the room.
I love the quiet location, will be back next Film Festival!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank judylamb
Ottawa
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is my third stay. A series of appointments brought me to Toronto and I have now found my home away from home. My first stay is already posted (see August 2011 review). My second stay was at the end of May in Suite 1. The room is large and sufficient for two people.

This last stay, I had Suite 8, upstairs which is basically the entire third floor of the original house! The pictures on their website do not do it justice. It has a nice big hallway with mirror, a kitchen with an old Eaton’s full size refrigerator (can be noisy and goes on often), sink, microwave, table and two chairs. The living room has the original old brick fireplace (as does Suite 1 if I recall) which is not in use but nicely presented. A nice flat screen tv is affixed to the brick of the fireplace. All rooms have modern furniture (think IKEA). The living room has a sofa, two end chairs, a table, and an working table (with chair) where you can plug in your laptop or do some work. Also has large Toronto photos affixed to the walls. The bedroom also has a TV! What a bonus for late night movies/news! Large bed, two night tables, big closet and dresser. The bed did not have a duvet as pictured, but a blue blanket. I am not sure if they did this because it was the summer, but it was the same in May with Suite 1. The bathroom is a little small, just enough for one. There is a bathtub with a shower. The sink is a bizarre rectangle shape and you cannot bend your head down to wash your face etc. because you will hit the medicine cabinet which is placed too low. I used the shower to face wash.

From the bedroom, there is a big balcony! Huge! It sits right atop the addition to the original house. You can get a good skyline view of the buildings in vicinity and if you peak to the right, you can get the needle view of the CN tower! There is a small table and two chairs. I also found in the large closet a sun umbrella and hooked that up to the balcony railings as there is lots of sun! A nice way to spend a summer evening!

Suite 8 has three rooms, plus a balcony all at a great price! I stayed two weeks and negotiated a price and I also did not opt for the Eggsmart breakfast. You can stock yourself with morning brew at the Tim Horton’s, a 2 minute walk situated right across the Sherbourne subway or down the road at NO FRILLS. There is also a Shoppers Drug Mart to heal your weary feet after sightseeing. All is within walking distance to the major sites. Buy tokens to use the subway to save some money.

The manager is Norbert and the owner is Arthur. Both are very personable and are on the scene always looking after the place. Since my last May visit, they have put up an iron fence at the front area, flower beds, temporarily laid out patio stones near the flower area to be eventually used as a gathering area (ie: put some chairs, etc. so I was told) an imitation stain glass for the front door area. Keep in mind, I was told that this house is 150 years old.

The inside suites are nicely appointed, but those carpets that are in the inside need to go. Try to overlook that. I think that they may eventually get rid of them and go back to the original hardwood flooring. That would really add more pizzaz to the place.

The place is VERY quiet! There is little ambience to it because they are all separate rooms and there is not a gathering place so to speak. There is WiFi, AC (so needed because of record breaking heat this summer) fully channelled tv’s and each room has its own bathroom.

I do recommend this place and look forward to my next visit in the near future.

Room Tip: If you are staying for more than 3 or 4 days, I would suggest Suite 8.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bytowngirl
herzliya
Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at Ada's right after the place was opened. Owner very helpfull. Location was great, quiet but central. The tripple room was small, and bathroom/toilet definetly too small. Breakfest at the nearby "Eggsmart" was nice. Fair price.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 4 April 2012

My husband & I stayed in room #1 Mar 2-6. While we were concerned about the location before we got there, as it was in a different area of TO than we normally stay, I have to say that our stay was great. The area was quiet and almost "homey". There was a Shopper's and No Frills down the street and a Tim's and the subway about 5 minutes up the street. We liked the fridge and microwave. Loved the idea of Eggsmart and only paid less than $5 over our 4 days in extra charges. Unlike some other comments, we found the staff there exceptionally friendly. The room may not have been perfect but we don't spend a lot of time in a room while in TO. We have things to do and people to see! Paul was the best - lending us his umbrella, and phone. He is a lovely man with many stories. The bed was amazing - comfortable and warm. The price was very reasonable. We would definitely stay there again

Room Tip: Hot Air furnace so may not be suitable for people with allergies.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple