“Comfortable in Toronto”

Ranked #60 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Comfortable in Toronto”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here a few months back and stumbled across it looking for a guesthouse or hostel to stay at. We rocked up in the early afternoon after a flight from New York and found the place walking from the train station relatively easily. We did have to wait a bit at the front door to be let in but only one person was showing people around 2 guesthouses (the other one was around the corner) but it wasn't too bad outside.
The room was comfortable and the bathroom looked fairly new. The shower had good pressure. The bed was comfortable. My only issue was the curtains did let in a bit of light, either from the street lights or the sun early in the morning, but apart from that no issues.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GrabYourPassport

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay while in Toronto. We had room 2 which a lot of people have written negatively about but we haven't found any issues. The bed is in a little nook but we find this cosy. The location is great as it is right near a subway, bank, shops etc. Definitely try out Mansion Keg if you are staying here! The owner is very nice, it took us a couple of minutes to work out we had to phone him on arrival ( phone and number are outside the front door). Would recommend for a short stay in Toronto.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FrankieBH
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Perfect place to stay a few nights in Toronto. Good price and good location. Not far away from the next subway station, few food places around and we had a really nice room: comfy double bed, nice couch, fridge, water cooker, tv, everxthing you need for a few days. Parking was available as well. I would go back. Just maybe in the summer next time bc this winter was just a little to chilly :D

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank mtrauth
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Ada's is easy to find and in a nice area, very close to a subway station. On arrival we had to phone the owner but he arrived fairly promptly and was friendly. Our room was tiny and had an unpleasant smell in it. The bed sheets were clean but the bed was in such a narrow alcove we had to climb on from the bottom (no room either side). The ensuite shower was ok. There was an ancient tv in the room but nowhere comfortable to sit and watch it, other than the end of the bed. I know that I could find a much better room for only a little bit more money.

Room Tip: Looking at other reviews it seems that the other rooms are larger. Avoid room 2.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Joy B

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Great location and great basic room in a fantastic neighborhood. All the staff were friendly and helpful and it delivered in all my expectations. Rooms are bijou but thats what I would expect for the price and location .
I can highly recommend this guesthouse

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melb0urnetraveler
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My husband and I, together with my parents, visited Toronto at the ending of May and stayed for 3 nights. We really chose Ada's Guesthouse because all the others were already booked, or were to expensive for us. The prices were fine, but here are our impressions.

ARRIVAL AND PROPERTY:
First of all, the building is very well situated, near a metro station and even you can walk along Bloor Street if you like and reach Bloor/Yonge pretty fast. Near you can find some places to have lunch/dinner, different prices and styles. However, the building was a bit disappointing: it seemed all the rooms were converted into bedrooms, no little common living-room, or small kitchen... In the outside, near the door, there is a telephone so when you arrive you can call the owner to give you the keys (because there is no front desk), but his cell phone was off and we had to wait like 20 minutes. The building has space to park in the backyard, but the cost is 10 CAD per night. The payment is done at the beginning and you don't see the owner again (just leave the key inside the bedroom when you leave). We expected a little of "home warmth feeling" in b&b accommodation.

BEEDROOMS:
We had bedrooms 2 and 6. They both are pretty small, but they were clean (average clean, we expected more). My husband and I stayed in 2. The furniture is very old, the bed was located in a small square corner, the linen were too small for the bed so when I turned while sleeping I accidentally took off the sheets from my poor husband. We had a rough blanket also too small and it was very cold in the room, so sleeping quality was not very good, taking all these into account. The bathroom is small but fine. The shower had a low situated second water tap, which we didn't noticed, and I hit my ankle (nothing serious, but annoying). The room has, however, a small fridge and microwave and a electric kettle, so you can maintain some food and even prepare a cup of tea (if you bring the tea).

PROS AND CONS:
The pros are: cheaper than other B&B/Guesthouses in Toronto, very good situation, near metro and restaurants.
Cons are: small and old bedrooms, cleanliness fine but could be better, too cold in the bedrooms, the absolute lack of "guesthouse/b&b feeling".

In case I come back to Toronto, it is not likely that I repeat our stay here, we concluded it would be better to pay a little more and get something better.

Room Tip: Room 2 seems to be the smallest. Bed installed in a square corner, it was a bit stifling. Oriented t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank reina_darknova
Daly City, California
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This place has a great location, but not enough of a benefit to justify the cost when for a few extra dollars you can stay at another hotel and actually have a clean room and maid service. I had made the reservation on line based on the website, however when I arrived the website had obviously been done a long time ago because this place is in disrepair and filthy. All I can add beyond the pictures posted that I took is that the manager/owner appears to be a retired person who just wants to get as much money out of this place as possible because he has not repaired the place and tried to overcharge me when I checked in.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple