“Good Budget Hotel, Poor Location”

Days Inn - Toronto East Lakeview
Ranked #101 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 19 October 2011

When Kingston Road was the only eastern entrance to Toronto, there was a plethora of good inexpensive hotels and motels along the strip east of where Danforth Avenue and Kingston Road meet. The Lakeview Inn is the closest to the junction and perhaps the newest on the strip. The inn is clean and modern.

Our room, 129 was on the main floor and quite austere. It had two queen beds, a washroom, and an old fashioned TV (remember picture tubes?). There was a small table and two chairs and a small hutch for clothing that also held the TV. The coffee maker only came with one package of coffee but the bathroom was nicely equipped with lots of towels, shampoo, conditioner and hand soap.

The beds were moderately firm and the pillows soft and inviting.

I can't imagine who would find this hotel location convenient. The hotel is located in the former city of Scarborough, quite some distance from the attractions of downtown. We were staying one night as our nearby house was under renovation. People driving into Toronto from the east cannot access the hotel directly as there is a boulevard and no left turn into the parking lot.

There is a bus stop 60 metres east of the hotel. The only bus that will take you directly to the subway doesn't stop at that stop during rush hours. The 12 km ride to northeast Scarborough took 40 minutes with one transfer. I would guess about the same time to downtown. That said, the parking is free and that along with the free breakfast make it quite attractive.

BTW: No bedbugs were seen or felt. I believe posters should be careful using the bedbug card as it unfairly taints a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: Best for visits in southern Scarborough or eastern Toronto There is no view of the lake
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allan S

Reviewed 6 October 2011

Woke up with bed bug bites on my face the next day! The hotel is very much aware that the place is infested but will not admit it. We were offered a room without bed bugs (how is this possible when I`m sure the whole place is infested?) but we declined and left. The man at the desk was very rude about it too and accused us of lying. How could I be lying when there are bites all over my face? Terrible hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank polkadotsprinkles
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Days Inn East Lake view is the best Days Inn facility that I've stayed in so far (I've stayed in as many as 5 facilities). It is located in a neighborhood called Scarborough. It takes about $30 to get there by cab from downtown Toronto and $3 if you take public transit. By cab, you could reach in about 20 minutes if flow of traffic is free. By public transit (you need to take a bus and Toronto’s subway) it takes about 45-50 minutes in rush hours and slightly more than an hour off rush hours. The bus stop is located about half a kilometer from the hotel. The purpose of my trip was business and I took public transit all the time. I did not have to travel to downtown everyday, so the fact that it was not very close to the centre was not an issue to me. There’re fast food chains located within a kilometer’s distance from the hotel. It is a quiet neighborhood and may seem scary to venture out at night. I happened to go out after 9pm a couple of times and although it felt lonely, nobody bothered me and I had no incidents. I would however recommend using the cab if you need to go out late and public transit would be very inconvenient to use after 7pm anyway.

As far as the hotel itself is concerned, I was quite happy. The staff is very courteous and helpful. There is plenty of space for car parking. The facility is clean. Although corridors smell like cigarette smoke, the room itself was very clean. I did not hear voices from the neighboring rooms (as some guests have expressed concerns in other review sites). My room was a “queen size” and it was fairly spacious to accommodate a family of four. Room service was excellent. Breakfast was very good. Their waffle-maker is already popular in multiple websites. They provide plenty of fruits every morning. They do not start cleaning up the breakfast area as soon as the clock strikes 9.30 (like they do in some motels) as long as the lobby has guests who are having breakfast.

Overall, I was very happy with the facility for the price I paid. Toronto is an expensive city as far as hotel accommodation is concerned and staying anywhere within a 10 km radius from the centre you would end up paying over $150 per night. I would say, cheap price, good quality stay with a not-very-difficult access to the centre.

Bottom-line: Families with children who tend to get tired at the end of the day, consider this option if you could use a cab towards the end of a tiring day of sight-seeing. If you have a car or if your purpose is touring with a schedule where you would visit the city’s attractions during the day and just return to the place to sleep, then this is definitely the place for an economic stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank NYPhysician
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Awful hotel. Arrived late night from the airport, and were greeted by a group of prostitutes as we got out of the taxi. Sad to say, it went downhill after that. Rooms awful - uncomfortable bed, dirty, noisy...

Suffice to say, we ate in the restaurant at the CN tower the next morning, and took the maitre d's recommendation and changed hotels that afternoon!!

Never going to stay in a Days Inn anywhere in the world after that!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L0tusBoy
Reviewed 19 August 2011

After reading reviews on this hotels we were quite concerned about what we had booked, however we found the hotel was what we would expect for what we paid. Reception desk were helpful, we didn't expect to get a breakfast and found it had a fair selection and the receptionist restocked it often. The rooms were clean, quiet (no noise from next door), and plenty of tv choice.
The downside for us was that the hotel was further out of toronto than we expected and what money we saved on this hotel was then spent on taxi's in and out of toronto for 2 days.
Overall we would use this hotel again as an over night stop on the way further north.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank 1,234,186,408
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Given that this location is on Kingston Road, the standards are already lowered manifolds. The reception area gives this place a worse look than it deserves. The rooms are not that bad, I've been to worse rooms. Offers a breakfast out of the reception area which I find very odd. The staff look like they hate working there! The location is not that close to downtown but a comfortable distance away.
I hope I don't have to stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Ok il start with the 2 problems we had on the second day our toilet was blocked and our remote stopped working. The girl moved us one room away and there was no issues. Its annoying but not the end of the world.

Good points - Nice size rooms, Good tv choice, beds are ok, free news paper, its a great price we payed maybe $55

Breakfast is self served and pretty basic but perfect for the price you pay a great added extra and saves maybe $15 for a couple.

Staff were fine couldnt ask for much more they helped when asked and solved issues quick.

Location is key here, i booked on hotwire and did not expect to be that far away but i gambled and got it wrong. The location is fine if you have a car or your happy to use public transport. It will take you 50mins to get to the city center but its simple and just a short walk from the hotel to the bus stops. We done it with suitcases so anyone complaining id ignore.

At the end of the day it comes down to budget the hotel is great for the price.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple