“Lovely Stay”

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #25 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We stayed at The Old Mill for 4 nights in the autumn of 2013. The Inn is a cluster of Tudor-esque buildings located in a beautiful neighborhood which we strolled through enjoying the stunning fall foliage and pretty gardens just up the road. I told the front desk upon making our reservations that my priorities were 1. Quiet, 2. a fireplace and 3. a soaking tub for two people. We stayed in a Luxury King Room, which was nice, though smaller than I would have expected for almost $400 a night, but we didn't really care too much about that. However, my real complaint is that the "fabulous deep soaking Jacuzzi tub for two" is definitely NOT built for two. It is a corner tub and therefore is not actually even long enough for one person to really stretch out in, let alone two. As we were celebrating an anniversary, this feature was rather important to us. We made it work, but it was more work than we would have preferred. Fortunately, we are in love and have a sense of humor.
All of the staff we encountered were charming from reservation to turn-down, to housekeeping, to restaurant servers, to check-out. When I asked them to have champagne glasses in the room for us, the young woman on the desk asked what we were celebrating. I told her an anniversary, and when we arrived, not only were the champagne glasses there as requested, but there was also a complimentary bottle of wine and a card wishing us a Happy Anniversary. A really nice touch!
We never made it down for breakfast, but had dinner there one night and it was fine. There was a limited menu that night due to the entertainment. We took taxi's into downtown for most meals and the taxi ride ran about $28 each way before tip. There is a subway line less than 5 minutes walking distance if you prefer, for far less money.
We would definitely stay here again, but I would be even more clear about the tub I wanted. According to their photographs, there is a truly 2-person round tub option, but apparently only in a very few, somewhat more expensive rooms, but at this rate, in for a penny, in for a pound. I would spring for the room and tub I wanted, as I would have done this time if I had known.

1  Thank Rebecca W
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear GaiaLight,

Congratulations on celebrating your anniversary and thank you for sharing your most recent visit with us at The Old Mill Toronto. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall visit. Truly our jacuzzi tubs are built for two people to sit upright in. We do have our much larger jacuzzi tubs in our Deluxe King Suites, which I am sure on your next visit you would thoroughly enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We booked a king suite for our 25th wedding anniversary. When we arrived we were wished a happy anniversary and informed that they had upgraded us to their top suite! Absolutely breathtaking! A lovely card, bottle of wine and chocolates were waiting for us. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, ordered room service for dinner and relaxed in our giant sized jacuzzi! I cannot express enough appreciation to the hotel for helping to create a perfect memory!

Room Tip: King suite room 401...stunning!

Dear Lorri R,

Congratulations on celebrating your 25th wedding anniversary! I am delighted to know that we provided you with an exceptional experience for this wonderful milestone.

Knowing that we gave you the "perfect experience" makes us proud to know that our staff goes above and beyond to make each guest stay memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for many more of life's milestones.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I've stayed at the Old Mill on three occasions and have never been disappointed with the experience. The room is always ready upon arrival; it's clean and most comfortable. Kudos also to the staff - they always try and go that extra mile to make sure your visit is memorable.

Room Tip: I've always been most satisfied with my rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear patricia h,

Welcome back and thank you for sharing your stay with future Trip Advisor guests. We are honoured that you have chosen to stay with us on multiple occasion and that each time we provide you with service you have come to expect and love.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at the Old Mill for 2 nights, before and night of our wedding. We had a lovely suite, which was the size of many downtown Toronto condos. It was very comfortable and convenient for us. We'd definitely stay there again!

Dear Michelle L,

Congratulations on your nuptials! Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your wedding overnight and for sharing your experience with future visitors.

Our staff make every effort to ensure that all the details are tended to make each guest stay most memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back for more of life's special moments.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Since we have relatives living close to the Old Mill, this is our 'go to' place to stay when we visit. How fortunate we are! We stayed in room 510 this time, a king suite, and loved the room. Quiet, very comfortable bed, nice furnishings, slightly dated but very nice bathroom. The continental breakfast was included in the price of the room and was OK - the usual cereals, yoghurts and baked goods along with some deli meats, salmon and fruit. If you are looking for an elegant place to stay and price isn't a deal-breaker then you have found your place!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Demisemiquaver,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your most recent stay to the Old Mill Toronto. We are delighted to welcome you here as your home away from home when visiting family.

We take pride in all of our services and all that Old Mill has to offer and we look forward to welcome you back again and again!

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed at the Old Mill last week, because I had purchased a Groupon discount for this hotel, anticipating a visit to Toronto. I wanted to try this hotel, never having stayed here before. I was disappointed. The grounds of the complex are absolutely beautiful and I was expecting great things, from what I had heard from others, and the park- like setting, that greeted me, upon arrival. I was disappointed. It was more than an easy walk from the Old Mill Subway Station. Check-in was slow. My room was number 211, which was conveniently located within the complex, close to the elevators. The remote control unit for the television worked on a hit-or-miss basis. A note in the shower instructed me to "push the button" to divert the water to the shower head. I couldn't find it easily. After about 20 wasted minutes, I called the front desk. Someone arrived to assist me. The room was cold on arrival. No one had bothered to prepare the room in advance of my check-in. The much-touted fireplace was decorative, but not a heat source. The bed looked welcoming . However, the mattress proved to need replacing. The bed was hard and uncomfortable. Something kept disturbing my sleep during the night. I opted to skip the cold continental breakfast included with the Groupon. The upgrade to a hot continental breakfast didn't look very appealing. I skipped that, too. Everything about the menu looked "average", except the prices. I had noticed that about their dinner menu the night before. I won't be staying at the Old Mill again. I enjoy warmth and comfort when I travel and I want everything in my room to function, without incident. Value for money (VFM) here, was questionable, at best.

Room Tip: Make sure everything in it works as designed and that the bd is comfortable. Otherwise, ask them to...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear CanadianHere,

Thank you for sharing your review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry to hear that you did not get the experience you were looking for. Our staff made every effort to ensure that your needs were met through multiple visits to your room to show you how the various features worked in addition to accommodating an early check in for you hours before our check in time, and arranging for taxi service to the nearby subway just steps away from the hotel.

Old Mill has become famous for providing a good night’s rest and a heavenly experience for most of our travelers. We aim to please in every way possible.

While we strive to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable, it is clear that what we offer was not to your suitability and for that I do apologize.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The attention to detail and commitment to excellent service create a beautiful experience.If the location and venue are the crown, then the staff are the jewels in the crown. I can find no fault. The perfect escape to get away from it all. I will be back.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a Luxury King room which was beautiful - the bathroom was gorgeous but I imagine t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear 10Judy10,

Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with future Trip Advisor guests. We are glad that you found the "perfect pace for some TLC" here at the Old Mill.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.