“Fantastic Romantic Hotel”

Ranked #16 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Fantastic Romantic Hotel”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The Old Mill was a surprise I planned for my wife for Valentine's Day and it was just as I hoped it would be. The location is a little outside Toronto's downtown so it is nice and quiet, it is beside the Humber River and has a great amount of greenery (I would like to visit when it's actually green). The hotel is easy to access and has a nearby parking lot for convenience.

The room, a luxury king, was great. It was spacious, clean,had jazz playing upon our arrival, and a great big tub with jets. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows left something to be desired. They were a little too malleable so I felt I had no support but had enough substance as to get in the way while sleeping. I would like something a little firmer, even putting two together couldn't alleviate the trouble.

Overall, the hotel was fabulous an I would definitely return. Oh, the breakfast put any other continental I've seen to shame. With a variety of cheeses and salmon to go with all the fruit and pastries we were easily able to have a filling and tasty breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear EconoBoyd,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with future Trip Advisor travelers regarding your most first experience at The Old Mill Toronto. I am happy to hear that your Valentine's gift for your wife was so well received and that you both enjoyed your time together. I have shared your comments regarding our pillows with our Housekeeping Manager who will review our inventory as we continue to upgrade our bedding.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more romantic occasions.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was our first time staying at the Old Mill. We arrived early and they were able to take our bags, freeing us up to have a leisurely coffee. They also gave us a complimentary upgrade. the room was very comfortable and quiet. Loved the Jacuzzi.

What really did it for us was the continental buffet breakfast. There was a wide selection, particularly the fruit. It is likely the best breakfast buffet we have ever seen.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrSQL
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear DrSQL,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Old Mill Toronto. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded room and that our premium continental buffet breakfast exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

London, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We celebrated by girlfriend's 50th birthday here. The rooms were fantastic, the ballroom was great. The staff was discreet and helpful. The only let down was finding out at breakfast that the only choice was the limited breakfast/brunch buffets on Sunday. Given that we had dietary restrictions to accommodate, this was a let down and challenging.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Sarah E,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your girlfriend's 50th birthday at the Old Mill Toronto! Our continental breakfast is served until 10:30 am. We also offer an al carte menu for those who wish to order and then our Sunday Buffet brunch begins at 10:30 am which offers a wide selection of hot breakfast items as well as continental lunch cuisine. WE are happy to accommodate any dietary restrictions upon request.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Bradenton Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I spent a long weekend at The old Mill hotel, restaurant and Spa this February 6th through 9th.
They had a strong snow storm a few days earlier and the snow was piled up deep on the sides of the roads.
Check-in was a bit early and perfect.
Nydie and Nino were my check-in hero's! I rented a GPS thru Avis and had no idea how to program it. I threw myself on the mercy of Nydia and she programmed the hotel address in and showed me how to get to the home address menu! Nino had excellent suggestions for local beer and told me the name of the place. "Thee Beer Store" The selection of fine beers was excellent and it was close by! Thanks Nino! I settled for a local Canadian beer " La Fin Du Mond e. it is a Belgian Trappist recipe and 9% ABV. I bought 12 and they were wonderful!
Ate twice in the bar/ restaurant down near the lobby! Chicken one night and fish and salad the next! Both excellent.
Every night they have turn down service and fill up your ice bucket... a nice touch since I indulged myself in a few cocktails. Also brought a half bottle of wine back from the bar one night with no trouble from the front desk or bar. Some hotels frown on this.
The Jazz bands are good and soothing when they are playing in the bar.
Excellent and really good service. It's not cheap but neither is the food or service.
My room was a solid 9.5 for cleanliness and service.
The front desk service is a ten off the charts!
I will tell all my friends to stay here if they visit Toronto for pleasure or business!
The snow and the scenery were beautiful! Thanks again for the hospitality!
Kind regards,
Dennis

Room Tip: 311 is where i stayed. By the elevators but the rooms are very silent! TV's good too with lots o...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank daflenniken
Dear daflenniken,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting Toronto. We take pride in the service excellence we provide and our staff are delighted to know that they made such a warm impact on you during these blistering cold days.

We look forward to welcoming you back perhaps in the spring or summer for you to experience the beauty of our blooms and pleasant weather.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Spent a Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. Perfect. Checked in, soaked in the jet tub, dressed up and explored the incredible premises. Fantastic dinner in the Home Smith bar accompanied by wonderful jazz. Staff were friendly anywhere we went. Room was clean, classy, and well in line with the price. Very happy we chose to spend our time at the Old Mill. Would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Room 211 was quiet and a nice view of the Humber Valley.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Chuck D,

Congratulations on your anniversary! Thank you for choosing to spend this momentous occasion with us at the Old Mill Toronto. We are delighted to have been part of this wonderful celebration and that you enjoyed your stay with the comforts and relaxation you deserve.

We look forward to welcoming you back for many more of life's milestones.

Calne
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just spent a week at the Old Mill. We are now in the Home Smith bar in the hotel waiting for our taxi to collect us for our long journey back to England and we're talking about what a great time we have had here. The staff are amazing, so polite and helpful. The food is gorgeous and the Sunday brunch is an event not to be missed. Our room was a good size with a large comfortable bed and a sofa and armchair. The room was spotless and cleaned daily. The bathroom had a corner bath and a large walk in shower. The hotel is only a short 5 minute walk to the underground station that takes you to downtown Toronto. For people who know London the distance is like Richmond to Central London. We cannot say anything bad about the hotel. We look forward to visiting again one day and would not hesitate recommending it to friends.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear Vivienne B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit from England! We aim to please all of our guests from near and far.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the Sunday Brunch, to the comforts of your room.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Toronto!

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Planned a surprise birthday dinner for my honey and was really impressed from arrival through departure the next day! Had the dinner (appx 45 guests) in the Print Room which was fabulous..very cozy and intimate. Felt like we were dining in someone's very upscale home! The food was much better than I expected which is nice. Though the service was excellent in their ability and promptness (obviously lots of experience at this type of gathering) one of the servers was quite abrupt/short but nothing to ruin the evening. Our stay in the hotel was pretty much flawless. Room was very clean. BAthroom very spacious. I reaaallly liked that when we walked into the room, Jazz station was playing. That is a very nice touch and I don't recall ever walking into a hotel room that had the radio on. We did order room service and the server was very pleasant - professional but friendly. I found all the staff in our dealings professional but very warm and friendly. Very relaxed but accommodating. I would definitely recommend to family and friends to stay at the Old Mill and have every intention of going back myself!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear lisat39,

Thank you for choosing the Old Mill as the perfect place for the surprise birthday dinner you planned for your loved one. We make every effort to ensure all the details are met and expectations are exceeded for our guests to have a most memorable experience.

We are delighted to know that you and your guests had a wonderful time and we are glad that you enjoyed your overnight accommodations as well.

We look forward to welcoming you, your friends and family back to the old Mill for many more special occasions.