“Not as great as we thought”
Review of Old Mill Toronto

Old Mill Toronto
Ranked #19 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We chose to stay at the Old Mill for the night of our wedding and while it was a nice room and we enjoyed our stay, it was not as good as it could have been. The service was great and the staff was very kind. However, the bed was poor quality as we found it sloped in the middle which was disappointing especially for the money we paid. We most likely won't be back at the Old Mill as the quality did not match the price and the expectations.

1  Thank Stacey B
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Stacey B,

Congratulations on your nuptials! Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your wedding night. our guests have given us great feedback on the sleep quality of our beds. I am sorry to hear that you did not find our beds to be comfortable. It would be beneficial to us if the room number of your stay was disclosed so that we could look into matters further to ensure that any issues may be promptly taken care of.

Please contact me directly so that we may rectify matters. I look forward to hearing from you.

There are newer reviews for Old Mill Toronto

Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel and the grounds were beautiful and were conveniently located near the subway. The room was clean and spacious and stocked well with towels and toiletries but no toothpaste. The included breakfast was very good but no eggs, sausage, or bacon. Just lox and some cold cuts for protein. There is a menu for additional cost items. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped us with dinner reservations and other things. I do recommend this hotel however there are some important points that I would like to bring up that will hopefully help someone thinking of staying here.

The hotel is also a catering hall with as much as 13 catering rooms. They are in a separate part of the hotel so it really doesn't affect the guests during the day that are staying at the hotel. We did see many brides the day we arrived (Saturday) but that's because they were taking pictures outside. What DID affect us was parking (the lot was very full from valet cars from the wedding parties and it was hard to find parking) and our neighbors that were weddings guests. Saturday night we were woken at 2:30am with LOUD music, LOUD guests and the smell of cigarettes coming from underneath the door of the next room (adjoining rooms were locked of course). A call to the front desk took care of the noise but the cigarette smell was horrible (it's a non-smoking hotel) and kept me up most of the night.

Sunday night were apparently different guests next door according to the hotel staff and once again, loud music late at night and this time.....the smell of marijuana was wafting underneath the door. A call to the front desk did take of the music but the smell remained.

Monday night was wonderful as the room was vacant because "maintenance needed to work on it"....hmmmm I wonder why? I was in room 202 and the room in question was 201. A corner room which may be assigned to potentially raucous wedding guests.

So my advice to anyone would be to demand that you are not placed in a room next to potentially obnoxious and rude weddings guests. Since you cannot predict what wedding guests are rude, just say "don't put me next to ANYONE that was part of a wedding!"

Oh and we right above the bar with a jazz band playing loudly until 10:30pm on Saturday night so if you have young kids, stay away from 201, 202, and probably 203. I would also stay away from the rooms on the 3rd floor above those too!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lizzy731,

Thank you for sharing your hotel experience with us. We take our guest feedback very seriously and I am sorry to hear that your neighbouring guests prevented you from being to fully enjoy your stay with. As noted we actioned the concerns of noise immediately. With regards to the smell of smoke, as we are a non smoking property, the guests were dealt with at check out as per our non smoking policy. I am sorry we were not able to offer you a room move as were completely sold out during the time you stayed with us.

We take requests from our guests in advance and make every effort to accommodate our guests needs to make their stay as enjoyable as possible.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my second time staying here. Service is immaculate as well as the quality of the rooms. See James at the front desk. He will always look after you and do everything he can to make your stay enjoyable. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: August 2014
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear AnthonyCuch,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again for your overnight getaway here at Old Mill Toronto. We are honoured to have you visit us again. All of our staff make every effort to ensure they make a good first and long lasting impression and I am happy to know that James has provided you with the service excellence we have becomes famous for.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I have often listened to live jazz at the Home Smith Bar and felt that one day we should stay at the Old Mill. We made good on that wish and were not disappointed. Our room was spacious and well appointed. The staff was courteous and efficient . The location was a short walk from the subway system and we enjoyed an excellent continental breakfast buffet the next morning. And of course we lounged in the bar and listened to the music. We were staying on a package and of course the complimentary wine and ice wine chocolates were much enjoyed. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We were at the end of an upper hall and were not aware of any outside noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Niagaranomad,

Thank you for visiting us again for Jazz nights at the Home Smith Bar and choosing to stay with us overnight. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your stay and the many delights of your package. Coupled with our wonderful jazz line up, our overnight packages provide the perfect little escape to relax, recharge and renew.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

From a corporate view and a guest view, the Old Mill went above and beyond to accommodate every need. The service, food, rooms, staff, views, grounds, amenities are second to none! We will be back! From booking the rooms for the company, to the meals at the restaurant, the extra perks from front desk - simply wonderful experience from everyone involved. There was amazing jazz musicians Fri and Sat nights, where we were able to enjoy a nice drink with some top notch artists. The Old Mill has a classy, elegant and rustic charm. Could not believe that this was in Toronto - you feel like you were far, far away from all the city commotion.

Room Tip: Every room is amazing, the suites on the top floor have the BEST views!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ashley P

Dear Ashley P,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your company retreat here at the Old Mill Toronto. We are known for providing the perfect balance of versatility, ambiance and setting for our corporate guests.
We aim to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests by ensuring their business needs are met while providing a unique and relaxing atmosphere.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future whether for business or pleasure.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

It's truely a beautiful place to stay, the lobby, room, restaurant are unique in the architecture and the property itself is so beautiful... The only thing I felt needed attention was the breakfast.. Only some cold meats, fruits, cornflakes.. Also not forget to mention just below the hotel the Humber lake flows with a long trail for walkin in the mornings n evening.. I truely recommend the place to stay..

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Siby86,

Thank you fro sharing your overnight experience with future Trip Advisor guests. We value the feedback our guests give us as we are always looking for ways to exceed service expectations.

With regards to our premium continental breakfast, this is offered complimentary to our guests and it offers a wide array of items such as specialty baked goods, bread and cereal varieties, yoghurts, fresh fruit, cheese platter, deli meats and smoked salmon, fresh juices, tea and coffee. We also offer hot menu items for guests who would like to order and enjoy from our a la carte menu.

We are happy to know you enjoyed your overall stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Another wonderful stay at this exceptional property.

We arrived on the 15th for a 1-night stay; just a quick escape from our norm and without our kids in tow. I had purchased a Groupon certificate a few months ago and unbeknownst to me, my husband called and asked to get an upgrade. He upgraded us to the most luxurious suite available, the deluxe king suite. We stayed in this room once before for our 10th anniversary, but had to cut it short due to unforeseen circumstances. But this time it was all ours to enjoy, no worries and no stresses. As I didn't know this was the room my husband booked I was surprised when we stepped through the door. There was a bottle of champagne on the table (I just thought it was our included wine) and a tray of chocolate covered strawberries. I wanted to get some pictures of the room before we messed it up with our belongings, and then my husband asked me to come into the bedroom to check it out. Um, I was speechless. He had arranged with the hotel to surprise me with "will you marry me" written on the bed in rose petals. I was shocked, especially since my husband is not the romantic type or one to think/plan out such things. He even got down on one knee and asked me to marry him again (we were married at the Old Mill in 1997). Oh course I said "yes" and was basically in tears, more so from the shock of everything. We then had to rush downstairs as we had a spa appointment for a couples massage. The message was very nice albeit a little pricey, but then again it's pretty standard spa pricing in comparison to others out there. After that we went back to the room so that we could shower and head out for dinner. The shower head is amazing in this room, along with the tub that could easily fit 4 people. We did have a nice bubble bath later that evening. Oh and I think I mentioned this before in an earlier review of mine, the beds and pillows are heavenly here. Oh my, I always have the best sleep whenever we come here. The breakfast that's included is fine, nothing to rave about but certainly adequate for anyone to get a nice quick breakfast (typical continental) and the room itself is very pretty and calming. I can't thank the Old Mill enough, you certainly made this a very special stay for both of us... perhaps we may even consider you for our vow renewal.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful, if you can splurge, go for the deluxe king suite. On the weekends, asking f...
3  Thank twolittlebirds
OldMillToronto, Manager at Old Mill Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear twolittlebirds,

Thank your for choosing to stay with us again for your romantic overnight. Our team was so excited to be part of this wonderful occasion as it was the buzz amongst us to know how the proposal went...and we are delighted to know you said yes again!! In reading your review a moment of misty warmth came over me knowing that we were part of the magic and that you continue to feel the same way about Old Mill.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again for more magical moments.