“Service lives up to the restaurant's name - moribund and lifeless.”
Review of Le Canard Mort - CLOSED

Le Canard Mort
Cuisines: French
Neighbourhood: East End
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We live nearby in Riverdale and had been looking forward to going for a long time. A huge disappointment!

We had reservations and arrived on time - only to be left standing at the door and being ignored by every wait staff/server who walked by. Finally, the bar keep shouted a greeting from across the bar and came to take our coats. He apologized for the delay, sat us and said someone would be right over to take our drink orders. No such luck - until we finally caught someone's attention. Our server seemed completely flustered - as if it was the first time he had ever waited tables. Classic martinis we ordered were neither dry nor chilled. The bar keep arrived to apologize - again - for the delay.

Started with caesar salad that was smothered in globs of some kind of pasty dressing that completely overpowered the romaine. Awful.

For entree, I thought I'd try the duck - "When in Rome ...". It arrived beautifully plated - and cold. Not even a "lukewarm" kind of cold - just plain cold. I asked for it to be returned and re-heated. it came back marginally warmer - somewhere between cold and lukewarm. The bar keep arrived to apologize once again.

At this point in the meal, we were glad that we hadn't ordered from the prix fixe menu - we would have felt the need to stay for dessert. We asked for the bill and left as soon as we could. The bar keep arrived to apologize again and presented us with the bill including a significant discount for "the bumps in the road" we had encountered. Appreciated, but it wasn't really about the money.

The bar keep, to his credit, was professional, friendly and attentive but seemed to be the only staff person who had any "service sense' trying to compensate for everyone else who seemed to be "service challenged". They didn't seem to be lacking in personnel; if anything, it seemed to be the opposite with some older gentleman dressed in dark clothes who seemed to hover around the bar and kitchen with no clear purpose. He was completely oblivious to the customers.

Needless to say, we won't return and will warn off all of our Riverdale neighbours.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We were in the area for an early dinner, with no real destination in mind and happened to park in front of Le Canard Mort. On checking the menu, we decided that there were several appealing offerings.
Because we were early, we had very attentive service - not too rushed, just right. Great salads. Husband had a pasta specialty and I had a crab cake appetizer for main course. Both were very good and not too pricey.
Wine selections were good and prices were reasonable. All in all, we will be back.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

I had a terrible lunch here.
Lady Marmalade's kitchen was closed and this seemed like the next good option. I see everyone giving this place rave reviews, and maybe some of the other things on the menu are better choices than what me and my dining partner ordered, but our food was really quite bad.
We shared the crab cakes and they were unimaginative, also tiny for such a high price.
My friend had the Salad Nicoise and I had the Grilled Calamari salad. Both were so drowned in dressing you could not actually taste ANY of the ingredients. My calamari looked like it had gotten a tan, and had the chewing consistency of shoe leather. I did not finish it and I always finish my sea creatures. Our waitress seemed nice enough but gave us an annoyed eye roll when we asked to pay separately using two different cards. With so many excellent food choices on Queen East, I wish this duck would really just die.