“Fun Irish themed bar with good food”
Review of The Ceili Cottage

The Ceili Cottage
Ranked #631 of 9,121 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Went for a late dinner on a Saturday and the place was packed. All the servers were very friendly and make a point of joking with the customers. When the turnover at the tables was taking a bit longer than they initially thought, although they made sure to say that they couldn't make promises, they asked if we'd be ok at the bar, which we were. Started with an assortment of oysters - their mignonette sauce was my favorite. My husband had the bangers and mash which is served with onions and creamy mashed potatoes in a beefy stouty broth and was quite good and I had the cod cakes with a side salad and a remoulade sauce. The cod cakes were nicely crunchy browned on the outside and the remoulade sauce was very good. Didn't find anything too salty. Both meals were generous portion sizes. Lots of beers and whiskeys to choose from. Good and not too loud playlist. Definitely noisy, but not deafening. Parking is free after 6 on the street. We really enjoyed it for a quick casual meal.

2  Thank alwaysplanahead

Reviewed 12 November 2013

- great patio with seashells in the concrete patio
- a true Irish establishment with an irish dancing school practicing there
- owner's a world champion or recordholder for shucking
- nice desserts

3  Thank wuweee
Reviewed 16 September 2013

The location of this higher-end pub is perfect - a little further East than the bulk of the gatro-pubs along Queen East, this restaurant is filled with charm. The patio is really lovely and you can always find a cozy table inside. The service is warm and welcoming. The beer selection is great. The daily food menu is always a little out of the ordinary and that will either work for you, or it won't. My husband is not overly daring and so he couldn't find anything that he really wanted to eat (ie. steak). We ended up having the bangers and mash, cod cakes and the macaroni and cheese (there were three of us). I am not sure which meal was salty, but I woke up unable to take my rings off I was so puffy. We all noticed it and so we are not sure we would eat here again, we will definitely come back for the welcoming service and great beer selection.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

I have been waiting to go to the Ceili Cottage to eat for some time. Was very excited to finally go for dinner one night. My parents are N. Irish and I visit the island every year, so I am very comfortable commenting on the food at The Ceili Cottage. In two words, bland and boring.

I ordered the bangers and mash - served in a soup like broth which was supposed to be onion gravy.....not impressed in the slightest. I ordered their garden salad, boring and not enough dressing.

My dinner companion had the mac n' cheese (not particularly Irish but nonetheless) the first few bites were okay but eventually once you ate the top layer covered in cheese you were left with macaroni noodles that were dry and tasteless.

Unfortunately, not a fine example of Irish food which is always fresh and absolutely delicious. Too bad I won't be returning.

2  Thank Gem274
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I went here with high expectation that weren't really met. It was a rainy evening so the patio was closed and out party crowded around the tight little bar area. We could not have a table as they were for eating patrons only and they reached capacity in the building by 9pm and made people queue at the door. That being said it was a cute little spot but the bartender had a lot of attitude.

Been to The Ceili Cottage? Share your experiences!