“Try the cevapi... if they have the ingredients, and you're willing to wait”
Review of Hrvati Bar - CLOSED

Hrvati Bar
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Pub, Canadian, Croatian
Dining options: Reservations, Seating
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Toronto, Canada
“Try the cevapi... if they have the ingredients, and you're willing to wait”
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I went to Hrvati with a dozen other people. We arrived at 5:30 p.m. on a Saturday and were the first patrons of the night. Shortly after our arrival, we were informed that the cevapi and goulash were unavailable. Considering that there were only five items on the food menu, we weren't off to a promising start.

Some 45 minutes later, the chef returned with the ingredients for the cevapi and goulash. However, it would be hours before the goulash would be ready.

The cevapi was perfection; the burger was decent, though I'm not sure it deserves the rave reviews; and the schnitzel was good. The fries were quite overcooked.

You definitely do not go to Hrvati for fast service. Those of us who ordered the schnitzel had to wait an extra 30 minutes for their food after the rest of the party had been served.

Half an hour into our meal, another party sat down next to us at the communal table. They were told that the cevapi was not available.

It seemed ridiculous that they would have already run out of sausages if the chef had just returned with the ingredients!

• Visited February 2013

“A mediocre meal”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We tried the Cevapi which tasted bland, as well as the schnitzel sandwich which was very disappointing - the paper thin schnitzel was overpowered by the bread, lettuce & tomato .
Service was decent and the ambience felt cramped .

• Visited October 2012
“FANTASTIC CHEVAPI”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Tried chevapi for the first time and I loved it. I had burger before and it was amazing but chevapi are winner! Staff is very friendly. We had balkan national plum brandy and it was fantastic. Staff mentioned that they will be getting new selection including rakia from truffles. We are coming back for sure!

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place with great staff”
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I came this saturday , it wasn't bussy , food came out fast, loved the burger or they call it lepinja, meat was fantastic, beer selection blow my mind and will yours

1 Thank vivatibet
“Lost it's luster”
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We ate here on Friday night it was busy but considering most people order the burger why did we have to we have to wait for an hour for our food? There was only one server and apparently they were undergoing a management change as well as a new cook in the kitchen. I ordered the cevapi which lacked garlic and the flavour was very bland I make them more authentic myself I should have just went in my freezer and cooked them myself. The french fries were way too salty I would have sent them back but I was starving. The burger is good but not worth the wait I mean how long does it take to cook a burger the place only sits about 25 people. The sever was good but just swamped so I don't blame her for the wait she was very helpful and as efficient as she could be. I don't think I will be going back.

• Visited October 2012