“Clean, quiet, and comfortable.”

Castlegate Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #79 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Clean, quiet, and comfortable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

I recently stayed in this Bed & Breakfast for a week and really enjoyed my stay. The vintage looking rooms feel like they're out of a movie. All rooms and facilities are very clean, however, old. Don't expect any contemporary features or 5-star service. The staff is friendly and helpful but their office hours are usually very short, only 9am to 4pm most of the time, so if you have any questions or requests after that time you have to wait until the next day.

Breakfast falls a little short as there isn't really much choice but they recently added a few items such as bred and juices. Personally, I don't mind as I don't eat much breakfast anyways. But I can understand that some people do.

This Bed & Breakfast is suitable if you're on a business trip, solo, or travel as a couple. It's not really made for families or groups of friends.

The location is Downtown Toronto, in the northern part right outside of Dupont Station which makes commuting into the city core very convenient and easy. For example, it takes about 15 minutes down to King Street West and about the same time to the Eaton Centre.

Bottom line, Castlegate Inn is a friendly, clean little Bed & Breakfast with a cosy vintage flair. I recommend you ask for 2nd floor rooms as they are really cool. Keep in mind though, this is an old building and so are the rooms.

I hope this review helped a little bit in making your decision.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor rooms. They are more spacious than the rooms on the third floor and are all...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I like to call it 4 B's as in subject of my review, you try to save but you end up been suffering from rudness, bad service, arrogance and nothing else from being abused by the un-friendly staff / management rather than been treated as valuable guest.
Very old rooms stained carpets, towels, extermely small bathroom hardly can fit for one person, Internet so so bad one day working and three not, staff would knock your door to bring another guest to show him your room, regardless if you sleep, in the shower or toilet ...etc
Simply they treat you as you are staying for free, and take it or leave it...
Additionally as per many other reviews said your locked once paid you can't cancel despite the fact cancellation policy is a worldwide standard of one night on normal days and sometimes more han one based on season but not full stay charge.
In conclusion you choose to stay then get ready and don't complian..... I have told you.......

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BobH1970

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Worcester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

I didn't even stay at this establishment because I had such a terrible experience with the "manager" who would not give his name. Nowhere on their website do they have their cancellation policy. The policy is that if you cancel within seven days of your stay, you forfeit the entire amount of your booking. However, this cancellation policy was only provided to me AFTER we had made a booking, so we were locked in. We had to cancel. In fact, we cancelled because we read so many bad reviews of the place that it made us nervous. We even saw photographs of possible rodent activity, although there is no way to authenticate these photos are actually from the B&B. When I called to cancel I was told that I would need to forfeit the entire amount of a three-night stay. I asked to speak with the manager who was EXTREMELY rude to me. He even SWORE at me and suggested that I was wasting his time because he was with another customer showing them rooms. When I asked for his name, and called back to speak with someone else to ask his name, both refused to give it. He certainly did not know how to treat a customer, and to provide a cancellation policy AFTER the booking has been made and accepted is not good business practice. What a sour taste this establishment has left!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karen H
Sheringham, Norfolk, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

We booked this hotel through the BBcanada websit only to find an OK rooming house in need of some refurb and a miserable breakfast. As reviewed previously we were greeted in the morning with a self service of cold slimy muffins which were uneatable, cardboard cups and orange juice from a bottle. This is not what I would call a continental breakfast as advertised. When pointing this out to the receptionist I was told that was all they had.
Room OK and while you get what you pay for, disappointing.

Room Tip: At the back
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

My parents stayed here for a few days while visiting toronto for my graduation at UofT. They stayed in the queen room, it was about 80 or 90 $, which is an excellent price for downtown toronto. It was comfortable and we couldn't really ask for more at that price. The breakfast wasn't much though just some coffee and biscuits, but it didn't matter it was still a very nice room and that was all we cared about.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank arun a
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Me and my fiance had a wonderful stay at the Castlegate Inn. We weren't looking for anything fancy or expensive, and when we stumbled on the Castlegate Inn website, we decided to give it a try. We had a four night stay, and we were located on the second floor. The room was very cozy, we had a very comfy bed with fresh sheets, and we could get a nice hot shower. Even with the fact that the window faces Spadina, we slept great - we had the A/C on to keep us cool, as well as a fridge for water and snacks and a microwave for heating up our food. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, but it was exactly what we needed as we were in the city to vend at a convention. This place is SO close to the Dupont station subway!

Beforehand, when we were in the midst of making reservations for our stay, the Castlegate was very prompt at answering all my questions. Great customer service! We got into the city very late at night, and when we got to the Castlegate Inn there was an envelope with my name on it and all the instructions and things that we needed, as well as a parking pass for our vehicle. They were very thoughtful in giving us a large parking spot as we came in a Dodge pickup truck.

There is nobody on site 24/7 but they do provide you with a phone number to call should you have any emergencies. However, he had zero problems. At night we could hear people once in awhile walking around above us or beside us, but they in no way sounded like elephants and we had great sleep all four nights. Bumps in the night are to be expecting in such an old house - it gives it a little character. We will both definitely be going back! I highly recommend this place to anyone who needs a comfy place to stay, nothing fancy, and are on a budget - what a great price, and a cute little place.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 201 - it was clean, comfortable, and cozy.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilporkchop
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

This place does not qualify to be a 'bed and breakfast' in any way. It is a cheap hotel room with an awful breakfast consisting of fatty muffins and coffee/tea/bottled orange juice.
The attendants are not helpful and I find it strange that it does not show the name of the place at the door. It is just a house, with no ringing bell. Are they hiding something?
I DO NOT recommend it to anyone, unless if I want to punish someone. I wanted a bed and breakfast to enjoy with my family and I felt cheated with what they offered.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family