“Stay somewhere else.”

Castlegate Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #79 of 119 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Stayed in May for a few days. The arrogance of the owner is matched only by his incompetence. Key didn't work in a room I was transferred to. I couldn't get anyone on the phone. It was 9 o'clock at night. I ended up sleeping on the floor in the hallway. Never again.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Lloyd D

Reviewed 13 October 2012

When I couldn't get into residence for my third year at U of T, I ended up having to crash at my friend's frat for a month before moving into my own single room at the Castlegate Inn. I ended up staying there for two years. As a student with limited disposable income, I owe a lot of gratitude for the staff who charged me just $585 a month to rent a single unit, and even gave me a break when they knew things were tough for me. When I first moved in, one of the technicians told me that the manager really works hard to keep the place going for students and all that jazz. He was absolutely right. What with a fully furnished room that satisfied all my needs, compassionate staff concerned with your well-being, and a great location both for school and cheap eating, I consider myself so lucky to have found this place.

Room Tip: The room I had (223 Spadina, Apt. 7) had an A/C and heater installed.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I recently stayed in this Bed & Breakfast for a week and really enjoyed my stay. The vintage looking rooms feel like they're out of a movie. All rooms and facilities are very clean, however, old. Don't expect any contemporary features or 5-star service. The staff is friendly and helpful but their office hours are usually very short, only 9am to 4pm most of the time, so if you have any questions or requests after that time you have to wait until the next day.

Breakfast falls a little short as there isn't really much choice but they recently added a few items such as bred and juices. Personally, I don't mind as I don't eat much breakfast anyways. But I can understand that some people do.

This Bed & Breakfast is suitable if you're on a business trip, solo, or travel as a couple. It's not really made for families or groups of friends.

The location is Downtown Toronto, in the northern part right outside of Dupont Station which makes commuting into the city core very convenient and easy. For example, it takes about 15 minutes down to King Street West and about the same time to the Eaton Centre.

Bottom line, Castlegate Inn is a friendly, clean little Bed & Breakfast with a cosy vintage flair. I recommend you ask for 2nd floor rooms as they are really cool. Keep in mind though, this is an old building and so are the rooms.

I hope this review helped a little bit in making your decision.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor rooms. They are more spacious than the rooms on the third floor and are all...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I like to call it 4 B's as in subject of my review, you try to save but you end up been suffering from rudness, bad service, arrogance and nothing else from being abused by the un-friendly staff / management rather than been treated as valuable guest.
Very old rooms stained carpets, towels, extermely small bathroom hardly can fit for one person, Internet so so bad one day working and three not, staff would knock your door to bring another guest to show him your room, regardless if you sleep, in the shower or toilet ...etc
Simply they treat you as you are staying for free, and take it or leave it...
Additionally as per many other reviews said your locked once paid you can't cancel despite the fact cancellation policy is a worldwide standard of one night on normal days and sometimes more han one based on season but not full stay charge.
In conclusion you choose to stay then get ready and don't complian..... I have told you.......

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank BobH1970
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I didn't even stay at this establishment because I had such a terrible experience with the "manager" who would not give his name. Nowhere on their website do they have their cancellation policy. The policy is that if you cancel within seven days of your stay, you forfeit the entire amount of your booking. However, this cancellation policy was only provided to me AFTER we had made a booking, so we were locked in. We had to cancel. In fact, we cancelled because we read so many bad reviews of the place that it made us nervous. We even saw photographs of possible rodent activity, although there is no way to authenticate these photos are actually from the B&B. When I called to cancel I was told that I would need to forfeit the entire amount of a three-night stay. I asked to speak with the manager who was EXTREMELY rude to me. He even SWORE at me and suggested that I was wasting his time because he was with another customer showing them rooms. When I asked for his name, and called back to speak with someone else to ask his name, both refused to give it. He certainly did not know how to treat a customer, and to provide a cancellation policy AFTER the booking has been made and accepted is not good business practice. What a sour taste this establishment has left!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We booked this hotel through the BBcanada websit only to find an OK rooming house in need of some refurb and a miserable breakfast. As reviewed previously we were greeted in the morning with a self service of cold slimy muffins which were uneatable, cardboard cups and orange juice from a bottle. This is not what I would call a continental breakfast as advertised. When pointing this out to the receptionist I was told that was all they had.
Room OK and while you get what you pay for, disappointing.

Room Tip: At the back
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2011

My parents stayed here for a few days while visiting toronto for my graduation at UofT. They stayed in the queen room, it was about 80 or 90 $, which is an excellent price for downtown toronto. It was comfortable and we couldn't really ask for more at that price. The breakfast wasn't much though just some coffee and biscuits, but it didn't matter it was still a very nice room and that was all we cared about.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family