“Such a nice place to stay”

Castlegate Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #79 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Tampere, Finland
“Such a nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I've stayed in this B&B two times. Both have been pleasant stays. Location is brilliant, two subway stations are close, a walking distance from some nice bars and so on. People there have been really nice as well. The rooms are not very modern or up-to-date, but I haven't been bothered. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lacu2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Grand Blanc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I booked a room here via hostels.com. I then emailed the Castlegate directly to ask about the cost of parking, and they informed me that they were sold out for the dates I booked. After telling them that my reservation with Hostels.com was confirmed, they told me I would have to request a refund, as they would not honour my reservation. Since then, the Castlegate has done nothing to back up my request for a refund from Hostels.com, and even days after I was told my reservation would not be honoured, the dates were still showing as "available" online.

I normally wouldn't give a negative review for a customer-service related issue, but this is a situation that could have been prevented; the Castlegate should be informing the online sites to block reservations when they are full. And at the very least, they should be helping to make sure I get refunded, as this "error" was not from anything I did.

Based on my experience, I don't recommend the Castlegate, and I advise against booking anything through Hostels.com.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GreenGalTraveling

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

palmbeachFLA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I visit TO frequently and until now it has cost me a small fortune just for the use of a bed and a shower. Lets get real this is Not a place for luxury seekers but the price for the location cant be beat. I was happy with pretty much everything. I am not interested in room service . I actually checked in and out without meeting any staff. I arrived after the front desk was closed 9pm and chd out 5am before it was open. It was odd but kinda of nice not to be watched. I did speak with a woman from the hotel i needed an airport cab phone # she gave me a great one. So yes it is cheap and in a great location , and because of this was easy to ignore some tired furniture and dated bathroom

• Stayed August 2013
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Yes, this is a cheap place and yes they are about to turn it into a youth hostel but in case they haven't yet, do not go there. I have been in several B&Bs in different countries and this is by far the worst ever. The owners have no sense of customer service whatsoever. Cheap does not mean disrespectful. The owners do not even live nearby, they are an hour and a half away. There is no one to help you with anything. The front door did not lock properly when I arrived and they told me I should push it in harder. Three of us - other guests had tried to do this but she wouldn't listen. She just kept telling me how far she lived and to keep pushing it. The room had a stale, musty odor. There was nothing there to indicate where to go to eat, shop or tour. I asked about food and they told me there was a quick walk to Bloor street (10 - 15 blocks - not quick) and said there was nothing to eat around the corner - but there was. The comforter was shredded at the bottom. There were things left behind by previous tenants under the bed. The sink stopped up when you used it. The shower turned boiling hot once you lathered up. I had to return a few days later - because I had paid for it already and did not have time to look for other places. This room did not have a clock in it and they refused to wake me up so I would be ready for my train. My sister - in the states - had to call me on my cell because I did not have an alarm on that. The next morning there was no breakfast and the answering service said someone should be there by 10. Breakfast was meant to be served at 8:15-10:15. Several people were standing around but I told them about Bloor but said I did not recall seeing breakfast nooks there. Nor around the corner. I should also mention that they had these very stained drapes over the fridge/microwave - it would have looked nicer to have nothing over them. The drapes over the bed had probably never been cleaned either. Stains on the sheets as well. Oh, and don't let me forget to tell you that my neighbors for my first two nights - very young and virile and I could hear everything. Including the Nora Jones CD they were playing as foreplay. One last thing, they expect you to pay $20 to clean your room during the day! I wouldn't send my child there who was off to college.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

I absolutely loved it and I would definitely recommend it. I stayed here with my husband and we absolutely lived the location. I would definitely recommend it. Though the rooms aren't the best you definitely get what you paid for.

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed in May for a few days. The arrogance of the owner is matched only by his incompetence. Key didn't work in a room I was transferred to. I couldn't get anyone on the phone. It was 9 o'clock at night. I ended up sleeping on the floor in the hallway. Never again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Lloyd D
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

When I couldn't get into residence for my third year at U of T, I ended up having to crash at my friend's frat for a month before moving into my own single room at the Castlegate Inn. I ended up staying there for two years. As a student with limited disposable income, I owe a lot of gratitude for the staff who charged me just $585 a month to rent a single unit, and even gave me a break when they knew things were tough for me. When I first moved in, one of the technicians told me that the manager really works hard to keep the place going for students and all that jazz. He was absolutely right. What with a fully furnished room that satisfied all my needs, compassionate staff concerned with your well-being, and a great location both for school and cheap eating, I consider myself so lucky to have found this place.

Room Tip: The room I had (223 Spadina, Apt. 7) had an A/C and heater installed.