“Service weak, management absent.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Templar Hotel

Templar Hotel
Ranked #84 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Luxembourg
“Service weak, management absent.”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I spent 4 nights at the hotel with a group of business partners. We had booked 4 rooms. But let me start with the positive. Very nice design hotel, great location in the center of the city and great chef in the kitchen re-designing your breakfast every morning you decide to experience his dedication to food.
Unfortunately the negative outweighs the positive. There is a problem with their water supply. Or it comes out boiling hot (most of the time) or it is cold. Almost nothing in between. Impossible to take a shower or to brush your teeth without burning your skin. Same problem in all the rooms we had booked. As of day one we informed reception and every day after again. But as every day there was another person taking care of the reception they remained every day surprised by our complaint. Once we had a guy from management on the phone but he said there was nothing he could do. They must also have had problems with the construction. Plaster is coming down from the ceiling. Service is overall very weak. No reaction to your complaints. Minibar will not be filled up, etc. Biggest problem on Friday and Saturday: the nightclub next door. There is no way falling asleep before 3 in the morning. Again, reception desk just smiles and says there is nothing they can do. It is a pity. A nice hotel in a nice location. But a hotel should be more than real estate...

Room Tip: You must absolutely ask a room to the front and avoid the back of the hotel, too close to the noisy...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank eischen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
toronto
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at this property last night (a saturday) Found the hotel ok (there is no sign, but we had read reviews). The room was lovely at first glance, lovely designer fixtures a really interesting bathroom. There had obviously been some water issues above the room, there was some badly patched plaster on the ceiling and a piece of tape hanging from the a/c. We saw a lot of water damage in the ceilings on the first floor too. None of this would prevent us from visiting again, the location was great.
The hotel service was reasonable for a boutique urban hotel. We did have an issue with the TV that we needed to resolve (apparently a breaker was blown). The staff were pleasant about it and resolved it quickly once we found them.
The thing that will prevent us from ever visiting this property again is the astonishing amount of loud dance music eminating from adjacent dance clubs until well after 2am. Even with earplugs, we were able to feel and hear the bass on the 6th floor of the hotel. IT may be ok to stay there Mon-wed, but I would never consider it on a "club night"

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank canuck_nomad
Andrew V, General Manager at Templar Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent visit to Templar Hotel. As Templar Hotel is located in the heart of the Entertainment and Fashion District, our vision has always been to provide a calm oasis within this vibrant neighbourhood. As you had personally experienced, those who would operate outside of our city compliancy had breached this quiet enjoyment.

After a lengthy and tiresome process, it is with great pleasure that I am able to announce that the nightclub that had effected the quiet enjoyment of the Templar Hotel, and many of our past Guests, is moving out and will no longer be the vexation that you and others had experienced.

The Toronto Entertainment District is home to world-class theatres, galleries, and performing arts centres, boasts five major-league sports teams at their home venues and an array of cultural, family and convention attractions. An urban neighbourhood packed with a wide array of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs, it features something for every taste.

Templar Hotel values the dynamics of our neighbourhood and we support all those who operate inside the appropriate bylaw administration and enforcement throughout the District and the City.

I understand the frustration that this had cause to you. We are please to reiterate that this will no longer be a factor in the future. We do look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto, the Entertainment District and Templar Hotel.

With all my very best,

Andrew
Dubai
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I will try as always to be fair in my review, so let me start with the positives:
+ Good location
+ Friendly staff in general (Tom at reception and the 2 ladies)
+ Some nice design elements

Now the negatives (some not witnessed in any hotel we used anywhere in the world!):
(-) Small room for the price
(-) Other staff with a "take it or leave it attitude": hotel deal came with a 330ml Grey Goose vodka - NOT a 200ml Absolut (we complained to another member of staff and agreed to a complementary breakfast instead)
(-) No flip flops, no shower cap
(-) Room not serviced the last day of our stay, despite us reminding the staff twice about it ("Oh, really? No one came to do the room?")
(-) Check-out staff already using the credit card you gave upon check-in to check you out, without giving you the option e.g. to pay part cash (to get rid of extra Canadian dollars for instance), or contest anything
(-) Management ignoring our email feedback

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BecharaYen
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Templar Hotel while on business. I selected this hotel due to the proximity to my meeting the next day. As other reviewers have said, there are some features of the hotel that could be perceived as negative. For me; I thought it added to the charm.

For one, it is almost impossible to find the hotel from the street. Our driver had never heard of it, and once you get there, there is no signage to indicate you are in the right place. The name of the hotel is carved into the marble wall near the entrance, but there is no sign or even address visible from the street. Finding this place is a process of elimination.

In addition to the trouble we had finding the hotel, I had trouble finding my room. I haven't seen other mentions of this, but the room numbers are etched into the marble floor boards. Why on earth would I look there? I ended up trying my key on all the doors on my floor until the right one opened.

I was surprised that the bed was on a platform and rather low. At first, I wasn't sure I'd like that, but the bed was extremely comfortable. I was a little nervous that there wasn't an additional dead bolt on the door, so I was never actually sure the door was double locked.

To address some of the things others have said: my room did have a blow dryer and glasses for water. I didn't even notice that there was no phone. Perhaps they have addressed some of the issues in the past year.

The biggest issue I had was with the heavy bathroom door. When getting ready in the morning, I had to open it a dozen times. I would prefer it if they just took the door off. The room is very small anyways; I would only stay here alone or with my husband.

There are ample dining options around the hotel. I stayed on the 4th floor and had no trouble with wifi, although it probably wouldn't have been fast enough to stream a movie (but this is the case with almost any hotel you stay at these days). I didn't try to stream anything from the iPad, that might have been on a different and faster router.

TL/DR The room is minimalist, but clean; it is quite different than other hotel experiences, and you must be open to that to enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank shayes915
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Templar one night and wish it could have been longer. The entrance is a bit unsettling with no real signs that it's a hotel, but you are actually in the right place! Check in was much simpler and quicker than other hotels. I stayed on the 4th floor and didn't have any issues with noise. The rooms are small but considering the location and price, I think it's fair. They include an iPad for you though I never found the charger for it. Also has an Apple TV but I'm not sure of the point since you have to use your personal Apple ID for it. The bathroom was gorgeous with marble and multiple shower heads. My favorite part was the bed. It was very comfortable with linen sheets. So comfortable I plan on contacting the hotel to see where I can get them. Hotel is a few blocks from nearest metro but has several great restaurants nearby, including a Thai place that seemed incredibly popular. I will stay here again if in Toronto.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mainereason
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We've stayed for a weekend back in december. it is a 4 out of 5 for me as there are some good and some not so good parts. Here are what i loved and what i've disliked:

Like: - The lobby ain't typical, in fact it is small, modern and barely occupying space. i love that they went different since it pulls them apart from all the other brands

- The bed was so ohhh comfy.

- Very well located, you get a lot of restaurants around. plus if you go to a rogers center event like we did, you don't have the fuss of trying to drive around all that crazy traffic after the event.

- Service is really awesome.

- Huge bath, nice modern furniture.

- We were on the 6th floor and even there, the ipad and it's free wifi worked properly. Maybe it was because of our corner room, but i dont think it made a difference.

Dislike: - First, make sure you get the address because the cab driver probably won't know where to go and even when at destination, its a bit hard to tell during the evening.

- Yes, the bathroom door is really heavy.

- Even on the 6th floor room we could still hear the nightclubs' music during the night.

- For what we've paid, we could have gotten a bigger room elsewhere as room space and bed size.

I guess not having a coffee machine in the room would be a bad idea, but for us, we just don't drink coffee anyway. So it wasn't much of a big deal. In all, i would rate my stay a 4 stars out of 5. And sorry, if i do typos as my main language is french.

Room Tip: high floor have a bit less clubs noise during weekends.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bluezombi
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Nice location and great services. Clean and stylish. Remind me about CitizenM in Amsterdam.

However,

1. No sign, might be good for private purpose, kind of like this idea.
2. No coffee machine in the room.
3. No phone and poor WIFI so the iPad in the room for FaceTime isn't very useful
4. Close to a club so very noisy during the night.
5. The bathroom door is somehow very very heavy...
6. The room service menu is out of date... If they want the guest to talk to the chief first before making any choice, why not just list in there, so no waste time on going through the menu...

Overall is a good hotel but not as good as I thought before checked in.

Stayed January 2014