Hostelling International Toronto
US$253
US$276
US$244
  • Restaurant
All reviewshi hostelbed dormbasement barfemale dormdaily activitiesniagara falls tourtop bunkmixed roomi stayed in a private roomshared roomking stationcommon areastoilet and showerchurch streetfree breakfastwell equipped kitchenst lawrence market
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week in May 2014. Pretty good location for the price. Had another friend from England meeting us at the hostel that booked later and there was no problem moving him into our room. Decent breakfast deal downstairs that we had 6 out of 7 days too. It's not luxury but great value in a nice city.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 nights. Location isn't amazing but close to the metro so you can get to most places in downtown fairly quickly. The staff were really friendly (especially Rebecca who went the extra mile to help me out with a separate issue).

Pro's:

Cheap - I paid $24 CAD per night which is pretty damn good.

Clean and plenty of restrooms available - only had to wait once to shower.

Locker room - great for storing large pieces of luggage

Lift and pool table - free pool table which is great for meeting people and the lift was handy.

Con's:

Wifi - the wifi is plain awful. The only decent place to get coverage is the common room and that's just about fast enough to check emails etc - no chance of streaming a movie! I wasted many hours trying to get a decent signal but to no avail.

Atmosphere - the atmosphere in this hostel is kind of weird. The common room is cramped and full of travellers just sitting there quietly to take advantage of the faster wifi speeds.

Bar - the Cavern bar downstairs is equally as cramped and has poor lighting so it's usually really dark. Atmosphere isn't that bad but could be so much better.

Loud music past 11pm - I'm a student so I appreciate that a hostel will be a little noisy but they have a live band on for 2-3 nights whilst I was there and the music was bloody loud, going on past midnight on several occasions. This breaks the hostels own rule of 'quiet time past 11pm'. The live band music was just rock/metal so avoid if you can.

Overall, this is one of the poorer hostels I've stayed in whilst travelling around the US & Canada. It could be so much better but is let down by a poor common room and bar area, and lack of atmosphere. In future, I would consider staying here again due to the cheap price but would look at one or two other better rated hostels in Toronto first.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Ashir94
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hostel for 1 week. Overall we were very happy with our stay. We stayed in 3 different rooms due to changes in our plans, thus we had change room in accordance to availability. Below are the pros and cons in my opinion:

Pros:
Atmosphere, effort and thought behind it all was brilliant
The cellar was fantastic, food was great, layout and feel works!
Entertainment was fun and of high quality
Location could not have been any better!
Staff were helpful, attentive and polite
The discovery package is such a great deal! Having it all organised is a huge bonus.
Security was good and locker space was always available

Cons:
Initial night my pillow wasn't exactly clean (hairs on it etc) - thereafter tho it was all clean and tidy :)
The front 'pool table room' seemed crammed and seats were hard to come by at times
The wifi seemed to get worse the higher up the building you were - not ideal if you're staying on the 7th floor.
Due to our changes we had to have a private double room which was great! However I feel it was over priced slightly.

I understand some of the cons would be difficult to solve such as the space aspect. However the wifi could certainly be improved and would be worthwhile investing in, as this would in turn reduce the crammed feel in the pool table room as people could utilise faster wifi in their rooms.

In final, a fantastic place! I will be recommending this place without hesitation.

Jon

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank JonCartwright1992
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I had one of the worst hostel experiences of my life so far. The rooms were tiny which can usually be excused by the good company and the great staff however in this instance the vibe of the hostel was sad, quiet and uncomfortable. The staff were less then helpful and extremely unfriendly. I would not wish this travel experiences on my worst enemy. I extremely recommend planet traveler, nicer rooms, beautifully friendly staff and free breakfast. Cheers

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Spent 6 nights at HI from 18th-24th April this year. Stayed in a 6 bed dorm which although a little small, was comfortable and the en suite bathroom was an added bonus. Beds were fine, if a little squeaky and the room was kept in good condition.

Downstairs the communal washrooms on floors 3 and 4 are kept clean and well looked after. However, as with most hostels you need a bit of luck to walk straight into a free shower. Small storage lockers are available within each dorm, while larger facilities are found on the 2nd floor. We had our own padlocks, but I think you can buy these at reception if required.

The Cavern bar provides a decent breakfast and dinner selection. We received free meal tickets within our package, but were surprised to find not all items on the menu are included - for example only tea and coffee were free of charge in the morning, while orange juice cost an additional $2.

Most evenings were themed with Comedy, Games and Live Music main events. Drinks are reasonably priced and the Jalapeno shots provide an added kick! However, while there is always a good atmosphere and the staff are very friendly, it can become cramped with the
low ceilings and compact seating areas. The other downside is because they want to make the bar a success, subsequent bar crawls and organized nights out are now no longer provided which makes it a little harder to meet new people.

However, the hostel provides daily tours/packages you can join and sign up to. These include sporting events, open top bus rides and the opportunity to venture further afield to Niagara Falls etc...Reception staff were very accommodating, especially Rebekah and were always available to provide further information on eateries, night life areas and prices for activities.

HI is in a decent location, slightly off the main city centre with all major landmarks within walking distance. For example the CN Tower is about a 20 minute walk, while the main shopping area is nearer 15. Trams run throughout the day and cabs are very easy to flag down. They are not expensive, especially if you're part of a group. Highly recommend the Jack Astor's pub at the bottom of the road also - good food and the female servers provide excellent eye candy!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and received value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends