“Life is a Cabaret!!!!!”

Ranked #99 of 536 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 26 February 2014

WOW, WOW and more WOWS!!! My husband, myself and my parents who are both 80 had the opportunity to visit the Lower Ossington Theatre this past Saturday afternoon and loved everything about it. The venue was perfect, I love the idea of the theatre being so intimate. Also the cast was out of this world. Kudos to the directors, stage managers and choreographers for the show. I would definetely recommend this show and the theatre to anyone and everyone. Thank you all.

1  Thank grajam
in 39 reviews
in 9 reviews
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 24 February 2014

My friend purchased tickets through travel zoo so they were half price and a great deal. I performed in Cabaret in a community theatre production so am not an easy sell. This current production is dramatic and provocative with an intensity under the obvious entertainment value.
The underlying theme of the growing threat of the NAZI regime is underscored especially in the sub plot with Cliff's landlady and the Jewish shopkeeper. Adam Norrad as the Emcee is a triple threat with great voice, dance ability and a standout acting talent that deserves a standing ovation. He is sinister, sensuous and utterly decadent. He almost becomes a symbol of the threat or "storm" that is coming. We indeed do forget our troubles as members of the audience as the characters on stage have so much to contend with in their lives. We are drawn in. Kylie McMahon is a sympathetic Sally Bowles with her bouncy blonde curls and carefree attitude which masks a severely unhappy woman, gains our sympathy. The big show piece as she sings the title song is a dramatic tour de force. We feel the sadness, poignancy and waste of her life. David Light as Cliff gives a most believable performance, it is so understated and true. I can just see him playing Tony in West Side Story. All the leads gave excellent performances. The big disappointment was the Kit Kat girls who were just too young, squeaky clean and homogenous. They need to be sleazy and individual. The costuming let them and the audience down as they were all dressed alike like Bavarian bar maids at Oktoberfest. They were good dancers and the overall choreography imaginative for such a small stage.

What a unique and memorable interpretation.

1  Thank GMurray
Reviewed 21 January 2014

After seeing Avenue Q around 8 years ago in London (England), I was left with a very high expectation for the show in Toronto, and we weren't disappointed. I would absolutely recommend to anyone who wants a fun, relaxed evening out to give this a try. The evening left me with a positive appreciation of the Ossington Theatre too; what a great little, intimiate venue.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed the quaintness of this theatre. It is small so every seat is a good one with the presentation being heard loud and clear. The seats are a wee bit hard but they have added pads and a break in the performance to stretch. They have a small refreshment stand with limited choices but they allow you to bring a coffee with you into the theatre. They are helpful in pointing out your seat location, but as I said, the venue is small. Not a big crowd to deal with. Parking is just down the street.