“Short Toronto Business stay”

Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer
Ranked #10 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Mandurah, Australia
“Short Toronto Business stay”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This was my first time stay in this hotel and I certainly would recommend this Hotel. The location is great near to most facilities and good restaurants. I like the fact that this hotel is not large and it has a very nice feel about it. The rooms are a good size with a very warm and pleasant decor. Currently there is a large new building going up next door but this has no great negative effect on the hotel. I can't wait for my next stay in Toronto in this nice hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hotel Le Germain is hands down the best hotel I've ever stayed at. My husband and I brought our 15 lb Pomeranian mix and stayed in room #1008. We travelled with my parents who had a room one floor beneath us (#901). We stayed one night (July 5th 2013).

The most important aspect of the hotel for me was the fact that they allowed pets. This was my #1 concern. They got the entire thing correct. They provided a dog bed, dog bowls and a complimentary bag of dog treats. They are 2-3 blocks away from a beautiful dog park in Clarence Square-- something that not one, not two but three different hotel staff asked if we knew about and gave us very helpful directions.

In regards to some recent reviews about the comedy clubs, etc. with rooftop bars being located across the street -- you chose to stay right in the center of the entertainment district of Toronto. It should be given that this part of the city is going to come alive at night. We went out for a few drinks and dessert, came back and went to bed with no sound issues. Our dog never barked because of noise. We all slept like babies. The hotel provides ear plugs in each room if you have super sonic hearing and feel you should need them.

In regards to some recent reviews about staff not helping with luggage, etc. We found it to be the opposite. The staff was so attentive that my husband and I took a complimentary apple (located near the filtered water outside the elevators on each level) and waited to see how long it would take for somebody to replace it. No more than 30 minutes! We had staff offer to help us move the luggage from the car, then to our room. They even offered to help bring it down and put it in the car. We never opened the front doors for ourselves once (and we used them quite a lot because we needed to take the dog out for bathroom breaks). We took advantage of keeping our luggage in the bellman's closet after we checked out and then came back to pick it up several hours later for no extra charge.

Our room was very clean and had no issues with it being "too dark". I'm the type of person who likes a lot of natural light during the day and no light what-so-ever while I sleep.

This hotel was so nice that my husband and I didn't even leave to explore the city our first night because all we wanted to do was enjoy our hotel room. We had pizza delivered from a place called 'North of Brooklyn' and it was the best pizza we've ever had. The ONLY very slightly teeny, tiny negative thing about our entire Hotel Le Germain experience was that they charged around $1.30 for local calls. But it was worth paying $1.30 to order the best pizza to be delivered so we could enjoy our hotel room.

All in all, the staff was excellent, the breakfast was great, the décor was very aesthetically pleasing and modern, the room was very clean, the bed was so comfortable that I am tempted to buy one off their website for myself and most importantly, they went out of their way to accommodate our dog. If I could give them 10 stars, I happily would.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Just got back from a weekend visit to Toronto. I will echo the below comments regarding the staff.......everyone is very friendly and attentive and the concierge staff is top notch. Our room,was on the side away from the nightclubs, so no issues there. Room was clean,with a great shower and plenty of hot water and pressure. Location is perfect.....everything Downtown is easily walkable. We did hear a few late night party type twenty something's returning to their rooms at 4 in the morning, but really......it's a big city, the kids are going to make some noise....and we couldnt get over what a clean and welcoming, safe, friendly city Toronto is. The top floor patio is really nice for a late night cocktail and a view of the CN tower. The staff helped me get flowers in the room for a Birthday surprise for my girlfriend and on top of that a Happy Birthday surprise treat was delivered as well. The 50 dollar gift card for Umbra is a nice touch as well. The small gym was fine, with functional and modern equipment, a modest free weight rack, two treadmills and a stair stepper and two small weight station machines.....one for legs....one for upper body. The only negative we could even think of was a lack of a swimming pool of large whirlpool tub of some sort.

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 8 July 2013

After a very delayed flight from Vancouver to Toronto, our day was practically over upon arriving at the hotel. The lady at the front desk was so helpful and eagerly so compared to the guy that was beside her. The guy was imposing and, should I say, not front desk material. But his abrasive attitude did not leave me rating this very nice hotel in downtown Toronto as one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in.

I always consider the bathroom as the window of the elegance of a hotel and while this hotel did not have a bathtub, the bathroom was huge and you could walk into it and still have enough space to move around or view it from the bedroom. The bathroom has one of the best shower experiences you can get in any hotel. Water runs strong and the drinking water is self service on the corridor of the hotel facing the elevators. You will find the water bottle in the room, the ice machine along the corridor and you can have all the water without having to go to some 7-11 or convenience store in the corner.

But here's the deal. The interior of the room is beautiful! I stayed in a larger room size and I found this sprawling for a party of two. The room smelled wonderful (no stank cigarette smoke) and the lobby was just right. Breakfast could be partaken at the mezzanine and food was not an in your face buffet! It was the healthy kind.

The location was great considering that it was just a few blocks away from the CN Tower (the guy told us to just go there when we arrived because all the stores are already closed by 7PM and that there was nothing to do in Toronto at night). When we attempted to explore Toronto the following days, we discovered that once you crossed the back alley, lo and behold is the public transport system just across. The Filipino staff were very helpful as they guided us on how to get a day pass for the transport system that came in handy.

Sleep was great because you were away from all the noise during night but the construction right beside the hotel woke you up early. The bed provided great sleep.

Great bed, great bathroom and lovely hotel. You could have complimentary coffee in the lobby or in your bedroom!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2013

On balance, we would recommend this hotel. The location is terrific (with a caveat I'll note below), just a short walk from theaters, restaurants, the ballpark, and shopping; and walking distance to both the waterfront and Chinatown. All of the staff -- especially a concierge named Jeffrey -- are wonderfully friendly and helpful. The rooms are very nice. And breakfast is good. The problem? The bar across the street, which has an outdoor patio on the roof and is VERY loud until the wee hours of the morning. Seriously, it's loud enough that it's just about impossible to sleep, even with the earplugs that the hotel provides. I don't know if the north-facing rooms are quieter, but they almost certainly can't be louder! Would I go back? Yes, but not at a time when I expected the rooftop bar to be open.

2 Thank crs107
DinoGurusamy, Director of Operations at Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear crs107 ,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and the service and I will be happy to pass on your comments to Jeffrey. Being in the entertainment district close to theaters and restaurants the area does get lively over the weekend but we do work with local business to keep the noise down. In the future please do not hesitate to contact the front desk in case of noise concern and we can look at different options including moving you to a different part of the Hotel. We Look forward to welcoming you back!

Best Regards

Dino Gurusamy
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Stayed at the hotel for three nights, at the beginning of July, Wednesday - Saturday.

The positives:

I booked our room directly through the hotel site. My rate was for a king size room, with shower, included continental breakfast, parking. The rate was comparable to other hotels in the area. I did notice that there were few open lots close to the hotel, with all day rates, but I would recommend using hotels valet parking.

The location was perfect. A few blocks walk to Chinatown, Kensington Market, CN Tower, Queens Street West, Maple Leaf Stadium and St. Lawrence market. Close enough to Beer Store, Grocery Store and Drug Store to stock up on items. Plenty of cafes right behind hotel on King Street - although they seemed a bit touristy and higher priced.

The hotel lobby is very inviting. Plenty of comfortable couches to lounge on. Bright and smelled like a mesquite fire. Plenty of newspapers to read and a nice library of large cocktail table books to browse through. The best - and truly decadent feature - was the complimentary 24 hour coffee machine (and coffee is not doing it justice) that is in the lobby. Cappuccino, mochaccino, Cafe au lait, flavored coffee and tea all available whenever we wanted it. Perfect for a mid-afternoon pick up in between our adventures.

The European Continental breakfast was good. Self serve - but with very attentive waitstaff offering coffee/tea and clearing dishes. Friendly and nice. The room was warm and cozy with wood paneled walls and high backed chairs at the tables. There was also a communal high top large table. The breakfast consisted of several pastry and muffin options, hard boiled eggs, three different cheese selections, sliced meat, yoghurt, 5 different types of granola (amazing) and fruit. It was perfect. I don't think there is a traditional american breakfast (pancakes, french toast, eggs) served at the hotel but there are plenty of places nearby.

The employees of the hotel were terrific. Friendly, welcoming, knowledgeable, helpful, happy, smiling, accommodating. The hotel didn't seem very full when we were there, so we had little wait for our car to be pulled up. There was a concierge seated in the lobby for most of our stay - we didn't need to use her services because I yelped everything, but nice to have the service available.

The decor of the lobby is beautiful, big fireplace, cozy couches, floor to ceiling book shelves, bright, two stories tall. There are two hotel guest elevators and one service elevator, they were fast, never had to wait. Hallways in the hotel were wide, nice. The room decor was fine, lots of wood, nice lean linen, large window that opened for a little fresh air. We with a queen bed room, it was fine, but I would have preferred king (more on that later). The bathroom is fabulous, beautiful shower, large bathroom, separate toilet room. We were on the 10th floor there wasn't much of a view, but it's in the middle of downtown and I wouldn't expect one. Plenty of storage in the room. The room was clean.

Negatives:

Upon arriving at the hotel, we found that there was a high rise condominium being built right next door, abutting the hotel. I expected there to be a lot of noise from the construction so I requested a room on the other side of the hotel. There were no king size bed rooms available on that side so we took teh queen. It was a hot day and we pulled in around 3:00, dumped our bags, put the a/c on and headed out for a few hours. Wehn we came back and decided to take a little rest before our evenign, the linens on the bed were moist and the carpet felt moist. It was very odd. I called the front desk and asked for a dehumidifier and they offered to change our room because they didn't have a dehumidifier. We moved to the room next door and it was not wet. So, I'm not sure what the problem was.

The room was very dark. I had all the lights on and the window shade up and it was still dark. I would say it's a little depressing. I like to have the option of having light in the room. The ceiling is painted a brown color, there was a lot of wood in the room and maybe that is why it was so dark. I would like to see brighter bulbs in the room, either in the hallway, or the bathroom.

Also, I like to keep my phone plugged in next to the bed, there were no plugs next to the bed. I would like the hotel to provide an extension cord in the room. I didn't ask for one, maybe they are available. Simple solution.

Our room faced Mercer, we were on the 10th floor, kept the windows closed. There are two nightclubs located directly below our room. Both with roof top lounges, didn't realize this when I checked into the hotel. They were noisy, but not as bad as I would have expected. I don't know if the other side of the hotel would be quieter. I would opt for higher floor when booking this hotel in the summer.

The workout room is small, on the 11th floor, a few machines. Nice little putting area outside and a small outside patio to sit on. We didn't use the workout room because we did so much walking in the city.

I would stay here again, at the prices we paid which was around $330 night including taxes, breakfast and parking. For a city hotel, rooms were nice size, clean and had good storage. I ranked it average because of the lighting issue and the plug, both which matter to me, but may not matter to anyone else.

Room Tip: Higher floor in summer when rooftop lounges are open