“First Class Service and Facilities”

Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer
Ranked #10 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Guelph, Canada
“First Class Service and Facilities”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a very well kept, contemporary property. Our first impression was excellent due to the excellent service from the valet, reception and concierge. The rooms are very stylishly decorated with noticeable attention to detail. The continental breakfast was excellent quality with many delicious and nutritious options. I highly recommend this property compared to others in this price range and area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I can give the Hotel Germain in Toronto high marks for its location and amenities. Located in the Harborfront area, the CN Tower is a short walk. Union station with access to trains and subway is across the street. All the main sports and entertainment venues are within a small walkable radius and the hotel itself is a gem. The ferry to Centre Island is a 15 minute walk.

Our room was modern and comfortable with a view of the CN Tower (and also a lot of construction - more info later). The shower is positioned in the middle of the room and is glass on two sides so that you can see into the bedroom and through the windows to the Toronto skyline. Might be a little disconcerting for some folks, but there are blinds on the shower glass that you can close if you want privacy for modesty's sake. But I recommend taking in the view while you take your shower. Most surprising? Our room number etched on the glasses.

Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful when assistance was needed. All the amenities were provided, including ear plugs for those who might want to keep sleeping after the morning construction and traffic begins. We were on the 5th floor and the construction/traffic noise was not a disturbance for us. From a security standpoint, guests can only access the floor of their room, the 2nd floor where breakfast is served, and the lobby. This was not a problem for us. In fact, I liked that our floor was secure only to guests with rooms on the floor and hotel staff.

The only slight "negative" I have about the hotel is the breakfast. First, it is a wonderful continental-serve-yourself breakfast served until late morning. The options include a wide variety of breads and pastries, oatmeal, cheeses, boiled eggs, and an assortment of high quality cold cuts (ham, chicken, beef, etc). The first two days choosing and partaking of the selections were great, but the selections did not vary and by the 4th-5th day of our 7 day stay, I was hoping for more variety.

Breakfast aside, I highly recommend the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

1 Thank TxTraveler832
Toronto
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed here several times on business. Excellent Wifi. The continental breakfast included is more than muffins and fruit. Hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, etc available. Great bar off the lobby and central to many attractions in Toronto. The rooms are fantastic with every amenity well thought out and appointed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
DinoGurusamy, Director Of Operations at Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear TashLB,

Thank you for taking the time to review us, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards

Dino Gurusamy
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great room but what made the stay absolutely awesome was the staff. I mentioned we were staying for my daughter's 10th birthday treat and after returning to our room from a concert we found birthday cake, fruit cookies and walnuts. My kids were overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness of the managers. They are already talking about our next trip! Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
London Ontario
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed one night for a Jays game and was really impressed with the decor and service. Our bed was amazing and the pillows were perfect pieces of heaven! Loved the shower with the glass door and lots of mirrors for multiple people. The complimentary breakfast was amazing. Possibly the best americano I've had in my life.

London
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a stylish "minimalist" hotel in a good central location, with pleasant staff and a reasonable (and fresh) continental breakfast. My wife at first found it a little clinical, but the amenities, and especially the charm and knowledge of concierge Nancy won her over. It's by no means an inexpensive hotel - but we had a good time here, slept well, and valued it even more in retrospect by comparison with some other Canadian city hotels we visited. If you stay here, pop up to the roof and enjoy the views, the air, and the sense of freedom.

Room Tip: Perhaps the back of the hotel (backing onto the parking lot) is slightly quieter to the front - wher...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place is nice enough, but really really expensive. It's in the club district and this fact escaped me when I booked the room for a Saturday night wedding downtown. It's not as loud as The Drake Hotel (not nearly!), but it can get noisy not only from the club across the street, but also the various club-going guests who party before/after the clubbing happens. I was shocked that our room didn't have a bathtub and I was super disappointed because I'm 8 months pregnant and had had a very long day being a bridesmaid and was looking forward to getting into a bathtub before bed. I just never imagined that we would spend so much on a room that only had a shower. The shower was really nice though - big, rain shower head, major water pressure - but just wasn't what I wanted that evening. I called down to the front desk with questions about the included breakfast, the bathtub/room category, etc. and each time I spoke to the evening front desk person on July 5th, he couldn't really give me a straight answer about anything and kept saying that I booked through Expedia and that I'd have to contact them to find out information!! I have traveled the world and used Expedia to search out hotel reviews and locations, and quite often booking through the website as well. Never in my life have I had a hotel treat me differently or point it out at every chance that I was not a guest of the hotel, but a guest of Expedia!! It was...rude and embarrassed me quite frankly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MissusScamper
DinoGurusamy, Director Of Operations at Le Germain Hotel Toronto Mercer, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear MissusScamper,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and please accept my apologies for the inconvenience during your stay. We are indeed located in the heart of the entertainment district close to clubs, restaurants and theatres. It does get animated but we do work with the city and our neighbouring business to minimize the noise. Most of our rooms have the glass enclosed shower with the rain shower head but we also have some rooms with bath and are always happy to honor requests based on availability. I would invite you to mention your preference for bath at time of booking so we can have it ready for you. Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your interaction with one of our front desk staff; rest assured that it will be addressed. If you would like to discuss further I invite you to contact me at 416 345 9500. In the meantime, I wish you all the best with the arrival of your little one.

Best Regards