The positive points about this B&B are as follows:
1. The location in terms of distance from the city centre is good as it is only some 15 minutes walk to the Eaton Centre.
2. The hosts are friendly and the atmosphere in the B&B is relaxed. It is more like staying with friends rather than a commercial deal.
3. The breakfasts are both wholesome and sufficent for most peoples needs.
4. It was not particulary expensive.
The negative points are:
1. The area that the B&B is situated in, is not the most salobrious. Indeed on arrival by taxi from the train station I started to wonder if the driver was heading in the wrong direction. The problem with the area for those of a nervous disposition is that the B&B is situated in the east side of the city. As with most big industrial or port cities the east side tended to be populated by the workers and consequently was generally last to receive any positive attention from the city authorities.
Whilst I had no particular problem with the area I could see where others would be put off as there are a number of single mens hotels and homeless refuges in the area, though not in Seaton Street itself. If you are concerned about walking in this type of area, this B&B is not for you!
2. Seaton Street and its immediate environs are situated in an area that is presently undergoing something of a renaissance. The B&B itself is an old period house that sits in a quiet tree lined street with similar type properties on both sides of the street. This is obviously an area that is now being populated by the better off of the city and there is clear evidence of significant renovation and redevelopment of the existing property in the area, but there is still away to go.
3. If you visit the home website for the B&B, I would warn that in its present form it substantially oversells the property, e.g. the west wing is really just the large front room of the property and the rear garden and sauna is not really something to write home about.
4. Whilst friendly and easygoing the guys who own the property need to realise that if they wish to encourage guests, particularly women, to avail themselves of the kitchen facilities then they need to ensure that it is kept clean and tidy at all times. I am afraid that used dishes and pans left in the sink and on the cooker does not leave a good impression.
5. They also have to realise that guests expect to have their towels changed, or at least be offered a change, on a daily basis and that rubbish bins in the room should also be emptied. We found that this was not done, even though I would describe myself as being a fairly low maintenance type of guest.
6. The "shared" bathroom was right out of the 1960's, however the B&B is closed for renovations for four months and the rooms are to be fitted out with en-suite facilities so this issue should be resolved.
In conclusion, I was disappointed with the overall standard of the accomodation on offer. This was my first stop on a five city vacation to Canada, which I was visiting for the first time. I am glad to say however that this negative experience was not repeated throughout the rest of my journey.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Private bathrooms for all! Experience casual elegance in downtown Toronto. We have carefully planned the decor of our bed and breakfast, which was completely renovated in 2007, to ensure you instantly feel relaxed and comfortable. Whether you are enjoying the garden patio, rejuvenating yourself in the sauna, drifting off to sleep on our new mattresses, or savoring a delicious hot breakfast, we look forward to making you feel at home every minute of your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your A Seaton Dream B & B reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.