“You could do better than this B&B!”

A Seaton Dream B & B
Ranked #12 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Cumbernauld, Scotland
“You could do better than this B&B!”
Reviewed 29 October 2006

The positive points about this B&B are as follows:
1. The location in terms of distance from the city centre is good as it is only some 15 minutes walk to the Eaton Centre.
2. The hosts are friendly and the atmosphere in the B&B is relaxed. It is more like staying with friends rather than a commercial deal.
3. The breakfasts are both wholesome and sufficent for most peoples needs.
4. It was not particulary expensive.
The negative points are:
1. The area that the B&B is situated in, is not the most salobrious. Indeed on arrival by taxi from the train station I started to wonder if the driver was heading in the wrong direction. The problem with the area for those of a nervous disposition is that the B&B is situated in the east side of the city. As with most big industrial or port cities the east side tended to be populated by the workers and consequently was generally last to receive any positive attention from the city authorities.
Whilst I had no particular problem with the area I could see where others would be put off as there are a number of single mens hotels and homeless refuges in the area, though not in Seaton Street itself. If you are concerned about walking in this type of area, this B&B is not for you!
2. Seaton Street and its immediate environs are situated in an area that is presently undergoing something of a renaissance. The B&B itself is an old period house that sits in a quiet tree lined street with similar type properties on both sides of the street. This is obviously an area that is now being populated by the better off of the city and there is clear evidence of significant renovation and redevelopment of the existing property in the area, but there is still away to go.
3. If you visit the home website for the B&B, I would warn that in its present form it substantially oversells the property, e.g. the west wing is really just the large front room of the property and the rear garden and sauna is not really something to write home about.
4. Whilst friendly and easygoing the guys who own the property need to realise that if they wish to encourage guests, particularly women, to avail themselves of the kitchen facilities then they need to ensure that it is kept clean and tidy at all times. I am afraid that used dishes and pans left in the sink and on the cooker does not leave a good impression.
5. They also have to realise that guests expect to have their towels changed, or at least be offered a change, on a daily basis and that rubbish bins in the room should also be emptied. We found that this was not done, even though I would describe myself as being a fairly low maintenance type of guest.
6. The "shared" bathroom was right out of the 1960's, however the B&B is closed for renovations for four months and the rooms are to be fitted out with en-suite facilities so this issue should be resolved.
In conclusion, I was disappointed with the overall standard of the accomodation on offer. This was my first stop on a five city vacation to Canada, which I was visiting for the first time. I am glad to say however that this negative experience was not repeated throughout the rest of my journey.

• Liked — Location in terms of city centre.
  • Disliked — The slip shod attitude to cleanliness.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled with family
66 Thank Jigsawman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 4 June 2006

This was a great B&B to stay in. We felt so welcomed by our hosts. The room was great, as well as the breakfast every morning.
I had originally planned to stay in a hotel, and am glad I chose this option. It is a lovely, cozy house to come home to at the end of the day.
Everything was clean and well cared for.
We were able to walk downtown within minutes, or take a street car to major attractions.
I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2006
43 Thank Aradia76
North Petherton - Somerset
Reviewed 21 April 2006

Firstly let me start by thaking other people who have written reviews about this place, it was this that prompted me to book this B & B.

Our hosts Alan & Jamie were great, Jamie is a good cook, and we looked forward to our beakfast everymorning, because everyday was something different.

The room we had was at the front of the house and it was lovely, tastfully decorated, and spacious. Both of us usually find hotel beds uncomfortable after a couple of days. The beds at this B & B were so comfortable, and we had a really good nights sleep everynight.

Considering we were only a 20 minute walk from the City Centre (Well the Eaton Centre) it was also so very peaceful.

I wasn't looking forward to having to share a bathroom, but as they said in the advertisement, it was not a problem, even when the house was fully booked, we still did not have to wait for anyone else to vacate it before we could use it.

On the day we arrived Jamie gave a few pointers on where we might like to eat, and all the places he suggested were very good, be warned the portions are on the large size

Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts, and you can be sure my husband and I will be returning again. They are going to be doing some work on the property adding ensuite bathrooms and then re-decorating, so can't wait.

I am only sorry I did not take any photos of the property for others to see how nice it was, but i'm sure anyone who stays won't be disappointed

We were going to stay in one of the hotels by the waterfront, and I am so glad we didn't, we were right in the heart of the community

• Stayed April 2006
40 Thank Lissypops
Chester
Reviewed 18 October 2004

We stayed here for a fabulous week in August and Jamie and Alan were the perfect hosts. Fantastic breakfasts (we didn't have the same one twice), beautiful bedrooms and garden. They don't have any en-suite, but we had the downstairs room and the bathroom was right across the hall and we had sole use of it. They were really helpful with any queries we had, in fact they couldn't do enough for us. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2004