“Thrifty accomodation at a great location”
Review of Homewood Inn

Homewood Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Homewood Inn
Ranked #74 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia
“Thrifty accomodation at a great location”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I have been staying at Homewood Inn for a number of years now, each June-July for Pride weekend/Canada Day weekend. I first was directed to it about 5 or 6 years ago when a friend's B&B was full. It's perfect for me as far as location, as I have a friend who lives around the corner who I spend time with while I am there, plus the village is just a few short blocks to the west.

If you are looking for posh, you need to go to the Mariott. However, if you are looking for location at affordable prices, this will work for you. The breakfast is a good size, at least I think so. I generally only get half of what's offered.

I look forward to my stays there each year, particularly to see Dolores and Eadie.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank H G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Port Bruce
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Toronto is 100 miles away. I am there often. I could not afford downtown hotels and the antiseptic impersonality of them is not comfortable for me. Last weekend, again, I stayed at the Homewood Inn. And thought what a good place and how lucky I am to have it. On a quiet still not overly gentrified street right downtown in the Toronto neighbourhoods, the Church Wellesley Village and Cabbagetown, close to everything in Toronto's great downtown on foot or nearby streetcar, bus and subway. Shady front porch where people sit. A good 24-hour grocery a block away. Nice communal kitchen, which is important to me. It has been there for decades, founded by its present owners who with all their experience are the people who look out for you as their guests in every way that you want and let you live your independent lives. All the rooms are different, some palatially large, some small. Comfortable beds. Generous breakfasts. Shared bathrooms except for the suites that have their own bathroom. Nearby Allan Gardens Victorian glass house of exotic plants. A handy branch of the Toronto Public library. A great original theatre, Buddies in Bad Times.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nick486
Elliot Lake, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Homewood Inn has become my "home away from home." Since finding this amazing B & B in spring 2012, I have returned every trip back to Toronto.
Delores and Eadie always make sure I feel welcome coming through the door checking in. Always a smile and a genuine "how was your trip here today?" I travel at least once a month from Northern Ontario to Toronto, a six (6) hour drive.
Upon checking in, I know I can relax in the quiet and comfort off my room.
A hearty breakfast with your choice of coffee, tea, juice, hot or cold cereals and choice of bacon or sausage, eggs the way you choose, potatoes and toast. All types of condiments are available to complete this.
Full kitchen available if needed, and bar fridges in rooms. The patio, is a great place to relax and chat with guests.Private parking is available as well.
I have been staying here for eighteen (18) months now, and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else in Toronto.

Room Tip: Rooms are quite large and well suited to the business person to families. The rooms in front of eith...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bob N
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Location: right in the heart of downtown TO. 3 mins walk from Wellsley station. Shared kitchen to cook your own food if you want.
Cost: $80 for a double bed with shared bath. Can't beat that.
Decor: home feel, retro into the 60's, a bit old but very tidy.
Experience: the breakfast is generous and fresh. Lots of return customers, and most of them want to keep this place a secret as none of us want the price to go up :> Very friendly owners Delores and Eadie, eager to show you where and how to get to places in their hometown. I was very lucky to get upgraded to their Norfolk Suite (very large suite with private bath in the main house). Thanks Eadie. See you folks next time. Patrick

Room Tip: Try to stay in the main house. I think the rooms are better maintained there.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrick19642013
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I've been to Toronto a number of times and wanted a different experience (plus none of the available hotels were places I could afford or would want to stay at). Homewood Inn seemed like a nice change of pace.
The neighborhood is not bad, not great, but not bad. The location was great for our needs. We were greeted by the owner and after a quick orientation were shown to our room. We opted for the private bath which meant a 3rd floor room. Now, I am all for charming but, this place needs some serious updating. We get to our room and I have to say it was much larger than I expected. The down side to that was, it was a very hot day and the AC unit could not cool the room enough. The bed was surprisingly comfortable. The couch was not at all comfortable.
After a solid night's sleep, we went down for breakfast. Now this is not the first B&B I've been in so I had expectations. I was disappointed. When we got to the breakfast room we were offered cereal or oatmeal and had to ask if there were other options. Eggs (any style) were offered. We opted for over medium. Coffee and juice were available for the taking. The eggs were done correctly and came with hash brown potatos the only problem was there were literally 6 pieces of hash browns. the woman who came into the dining room after us knew what to expect and asked for extra hash browns. She got 8 pieces.
Check out was painless. Sooo, final evaluation: pluses: Good location, comfy bed, big room free parking. Minuses: worn out facility, lame breakfast, overall room comfort lacking.
Would we stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rjfmkt
Sarlat-la-Caneda, France
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This is a small tiny place, nothing fancy, but clean and quiet, thouroghly enjoyable. It's in walking distance from the centre, the people are really nice, I really didn't lack any comfort. Great value for money. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: It's a small place, and the shared bathroom is really ok.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Jiang Xian, China
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Every year when I come to Toronto for a short visit, I stay at Homewood Inn. And each year when it is time to leave the city, I return home with fond memories of my stay at the inn. It's just so warm and cozy with the friendliness of the hostesses, Dolores and her daughter Eadie, and other guests. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and breakfast is enjoyable. In the summer one has the pleasure of sitting on the front porch in the early morning and evening with a good cup of coffee or a cool drink just like at home. These occasions can be quiet and relaxing or spent in amiable conversations with other friendly guests from all over the world. Downtown shopping and entertainment are a walk away, as are the subway lines for those who wish to go out more often. Hotels are too impersonal and lonely for me, along with being too expensive in comparison, so Homewood Inn is where I like to stay each year when I'm in town. Thank you Dolores and Eadie for your warm hospitality. And Eadie, I look forward to doing more crossword puzzles with you on the front porch next summer when I come back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo