“Not as expected...”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #53 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 18 October 2007

There are many things that have to be renovated and repaired on the room: many things on the bathroom, walls to be painted, furniture and lamps to be well cleaned... The decoration, particularly on the bathroom, was sloppy. Examples: the wash-basin was not glued on the wall; there was a support for 2 candles on the wall, but there was only one candle... The view from my room was unqualified - to a dirty and dark back of the building.
Good things: The bed was big and very comfortable, and the room had good dimensions too. Some people of the staff were very kindly. Great location too.
The lobby is too dark and small. We arrived at night, so it was not very comfortable and cozy to get to the hotel, as we wished… The runners are also dark and not very well cleaned and treated. The decoration is to dark and not very comfortable. When we arrived at our room, just in front of our door there was an opened door to the stairs, with dirty dishes of the room service on the ground…
The breakfast is poor for the supposed quality of the hotel. After my stay on this hotel, I stayed on the Novotel Toronto Centre, which has a smaller rate, and I had a wonderful breakfast, on a much more decent and bigger room. I confess I got surprised, because on the internet, this one looked like one of the most modern and sophisticated hotels at Toronto (it is not so easy to find a sophisticated at Toronto…).

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank marialbuquerque
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 14 October 2007

I stayed in Toronto on business recently. I was booked into one of the suites on the 4th floor, and was really pleased with the decor & room size, and was really looking forward to using the spa as much as
possible. The hotel lobby and rooms I saw were great. The service left a lot to be desired.

The drain in my whirlpool tub and in the sink were broken and a repairman had to be sent up to fix them (which happened, promptly). The battery on the room phone was drained and the phone would work for a minute and then drop calls. That never got fixed. Room service
I ordered for dinner one night sat outside my door until 2pm the next
afternoon.

I booked a massage at the spa my first day. I told them of my interest in the water spa (the WHOLE hotel is built around this theme), and was informed that the whirlpool was broken. In general, the service at the spa was weak. The massage itself was good, but they had double booked us and there was a terribly awkward moment in the waiting area while they sorted out who would see which therapist.
I pressed on afterwards to use the steam room and sauna. They were buried down the hall past the elevators and hotel gym in a locked room that felt like a big janitor's closet. Nothing was turned on so they told me I could use it but I'd have to wait while they heated up.

Don't spend your spa money here - go instead to the Hammam Spa which can be reached by subway/tram. That's a real deal spa with a huge steam room and proper spa feel. They don't have a dry sauna or plunge
pools, but it's a gorgeous space and great service.

Overall, this is a nice hotel - great looking, good bedding, well thought out from a design standpoint, but it doesn't seem to be very well maintained. Service was spotty all around, despite some helpful people.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank pollysmama
Reviewed 17 September 2007

Tired after a transatlantic flight from UK, the hotel was a quiet oasis.

Arrival was smooth (used the valet parking, bit expensive at $30) and check-in was efficient (even though we were bit early).

Stayed in a deluxe suite (booking via travelzoo) and we were absolutely delighted with the room. Immaculate, spacious and quiet. Unexpectedly the room also had a washing machine/dryer with complimentary powders etc which was a convenience for us!

No time for us to use the spa so no comment on that!

Breakfast was simple verging on basic but came with the package so can't complain I guess. Served in lobby (which is really small) and bit chilly (a/c setting questionable) but nice enough.

Staff were pleasant, courteous and helpful throughout.

It's a really nice place, close to the Eaton shopping mall and convenient for most city centre pursuits also.

Loved it! Wouldn't hesitate to use it again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PunxsutawneyPhil
Reviewed 15 September 2007

It seems like people have had bad experiences here, but I really couldn't find a single fault in my whole stay! I mean, the room was beautiful and everything worked like it should. The staff were attentive and very helpful. The food was, though not top notch, well priced and very nice. And, best for me, the hotel was in a great location at queen and yonge, right beside the Eaton Centre and from where I could go anywhere in downtown toronto easily. The point is, this was a flawless stay and I really don't understand why people were unhappy.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank maxben111
Reviewed 7 September 2007

Arrived at the hotel after a 14hr journey to a warm welcome. Stayed in a deluxe suite (worked out the same price as a reg rm by booking with travelocity) and we were absolutely delighted with the room. Immaculate, spacious and lovely views.
Contrary to previous comment, we both used the spa and found it an excellent experience, discounts offered to guests at hotel.
Breakfast was great, continental came with package and was more than enough. There was a complimentary turn-down service in evenings. Staff were only ever helpful and friendly.

Totally made our stay, would recommend to everyone. It really was first class.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2007

It was my friends 40th and we wanted to head to Toronto for the week-end. I found this hotel on Expedia and it looked good on-line and looked good when we arrived.

Our room was huge, full kitchen, decent bathroom, and decorated well. VERY quiet hotel, as it is all plush carpeting, and padded beds.

Great location for night life, however we did get lost. Front Desk gave us the wrong directions. Went to JUMP for dinner, and then a nightclub.

breakfast was the best! Downstairs in the diner.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2007

The spa is physically beautiful and relatively new. However, I would never go there as the staff are incompetent and have no idea how to run a spa. I paid for a session in the whirlpool and a massage with a Registered Massage Therapist. I got neither. I was not told where the whirlpool was but was escorted into a waiting room with an acquarium in it. This area was nice and was relaxing. They offered me 1 glass of water (nothing else) and I sat and waited for my massage. The therapist came and he performed the massage. I asked for an RMT but was told only upon checkout that they don't employ many RMT's and that my therapist wasn't an RMT.

Once my massage was over, I inquired about the whirlpool and was told it was out of order. I went into the ladies changeroom only to find out the showers were also out of order. Picture this - massage oil all over your body and no shower to wash it off with. I was not given a refund for the lack of amentiies which weren't available to me (I paid $15 for the whirlpool treatment). I complained to the manager and never even got a phone call back.

Why this spa or hotel is still in business is beside me.

Even upon entering the hotel to inquire where the spa was, the front desk staff were obviously more interested in having conversations and hanging out than serving their customers. I felt very unwelcome.

I'm not hard to please, but do expect to receive the services for which I have paid for.

Stayed: May 2005