“Lovely boutique hotel”

Ranked #54 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa, Canada
“Lovely boutique hotel”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed for the weekend and really enjoyed this hotel. The doorman greeted us by name on our arrival and remembered it- WOW! (good at reading luggage tags because we didn't give him our name), friendly staff on check in and when we went in and out. The hotel has a very small lobby, a nice lounge where you can get breakfast in the morning and in the evening they had a light menu, drinks, live entertainment on the weekends. We enjoyed sitting by the fireplace by the windows, having a drink and dessert while watching the world walking by. Also on the main floor is a 'living room/library' type area where it is quiet and great for small groups to congregate.
The rooms are on the 10-17th floors. The rest of the building is condos but the elevators are for hotel floors only. Only a few rooms on each floor so we had no hallway noise. The rooms are spacious with really odd shapes. Lots of light from the windows, but being in downtown in the heart of the city, the views are mainly street or the building directly across. The rooms were well maintained. Standard bathrooms but nice showerhead. Kitchen is well laid out. Washer and dryer in unit. Free wifi. Older style televisions which was surprising considering everything else was so updated. Beds were very comfortable. Pull out couch is fine for kids or teens, not great for adults for sleeping on as the mattress is quite thin. There is a small gym for hotel guests and a very nice spa with hot tub and saunas as well as treatments.
The only downside was that on check out, the wonderful attentive staff who had worked all weekend had been replaced with someone with a less enthusiastic attitude.
There is no restaurant on site (just the food served at the lounge) but on the corner in the same building is Fran's Diner, an icon in Toronto which has great prices. It has a separate entrance from the hotel.
The location is excellent for those wanting to be in the heart of the action (but without the noise we have often experienced staying in other nearby hotels). Steps from the Eatons centre and 10minute walk to the St. Lawrence Market and waterfront area. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank anmejoshme

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The hotel is central and attached to a 24 hour cafe next door. The room was comfortable though the lighting is poor, much like Paris hotels, making it difficult to read in bed. Room was comfortable and the bed firm. Charged $12.00 a day extra for wifi in the room, but free in the
small lobby. All in all a good value for the money. Of course, anyone coming to Toronto in January should be able to get a good deal.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room off the street. Faced an alley, quiet except for 6:30 a.m. when the garba...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Fotodaze
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed at the Pantages for 3 nights while visiting Toronto on business. The location was excellent, close to a good variety of restaurants and busy shopping areas. I had a Queen Suite (Ambassador Boutique Suite) which was well appointed. The bed was quite comfortable and there were two flat screen TVs, one in the bedroom and one in the living area. The furniture in the living area was a little worn/stained and dated, but otherwise the suite was clean and in good condition. The bathroom had a deep tub with a rainshower shower head. Water pressure and temperature were good.
The kitchen is fully equipped and even comes with a dishwasher! This would be a good option for a small family as the sofa folded out to a double bed. The reasonable rate for longer stays would help make this an affordable option.
Breakfast was a little expensive for a basic continental buffet, and given the kitchen facilities one would be better off buying supplies at a local grocery and eating in your room.
Traffic noise was barely noticeable, even with the tram going past often and ambulances arriving at the hospital across the street. All the suites are located on higher floors (10+) so this helps.
The staff were friendly and efficient. Particular kudos to the waitress at the breakfast buffet for her excellent service!
I did not visit the spa.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Travelling_Axe
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at the Pantages Hotel for 2 nights with friends and had an amazing time! It was a unit inside of the Hotel, but privately owned!! Who knew? I ended up paying a fraction of what they rent it for on their sites. I went to www.flipkey.com/toronto-condo-rentals/p262447/ from a link I found on TripAdvisor. Saved a ton, and it had everything including a kitchen, washer/dryer, dishwasher - the mix. Will definitely rent again!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jeff B
Toronto
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Located at the heart of Toronto right next to Eaton Center. Everything is almost from walking distance and 10-15 minute walk from the ACC. When we first got there the hotel is very chic for the upscale for young couples and the business class. The receptionist were nice and our room was fabulous. Very romantic and the interior design was modern. The washrooms were clean and the room was very spacious. The only problem is the parking was very confusing and you have to pay additional everything. Like the parking, the wifi and the food is very expensive for what they give you is somewhat small and mediocre. Your basically paying the presentation of the food. Overall the place was great.

Room Tip: Get the higher rooms it's more quieter Bring extra cash if your a shopper. Great store around
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravellerFeet
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I cannot believe my experience here. I had to actually write to the general manager as his staff were incompetent, insulting and extremely condescending. Here's a story for you:

I booked a boutique suite through Travel Sensations valued at $309.00 for 4 guests. I have documentation for this reservation. Upon arrival, I was asked to sign some waivers and was informed that my reservation was correct for the amount and for 4 guests. The woman pointed out that any additional guest(s) will have an extra charge of $50/person. I explained to her that my reservations include the 4 guests so there should not be any additional costs. She clarified it for the second time that the reservation was for 4 guests.

Next morning, at the time of checkout I spoke to a gentleman named Ibrahim who surprised me with an amount of $409.00 for the rate of the room. He told me that I was being charged for the extra 2 guests. Astonished, I questioned this charge and all he said was, “You signed the papers”. Even after presenting my reservation documents from Travel Sensations he continued to say that I had signed the papers without providing any explanation. At this point, I asked to speak to the manager. Ibrahim notified me that “Tom” was manager on duty but was unavailable as he stepped out. Furthermore to my disappointment, he was unable to tell me when Tom will be back to assist me. I asked Ibrahim to contact me when Tom immediately comes back as I am not authorizing this payment until it is settled in fairness.

While waiting for Tom's call, I decided to go back after two hours. To my surprise he was back at reception. After explaining the whole matter to him including the provided documents from Travel Sensations, all he told me was “Is this your Signature?” “Well, you signed the papers,” and “How much more clarification do you need?” I not only felt baffled but also belittled as his tone and language was extremely condescending and inappropriate towards any client for that matter. In addition, he stated “Personally, if it was me I would have read the papers more thoroughly”. After feeling insulted, I asked for his manager’s number and was presented with the General Manager's contact.

After three days I finally got in contact with the General Manager (Mark) who reviewed the case. All he replied to me was "I have enclosed the adjustment to your credit card and apologize for not making this correction during your check in."

I am still extremely disappointed with Pantages Hotel as it's not the $100.00 I was concerned about but rather the customer service. The staff here are disrespectful, condescending and extremely rude. Avoid this Hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Do not book any rooms in this hotel. Save the hassle and book elsewhere. The worst customer service...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Slushee
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I pre-paid for two nights through an internet site, showed the confirmation email upon check in. Gave a credit card for incidentals when upon check out, the card was billed again! My stay consisted of a Friday-Sunday stay. I was charged as a "no show" on Saturday night! How is that possible? I am working to get $500 of the $800 back from this hotel! My bank can't do anything. I am in the states fighting to get my money back! I am extremely unhappy with this experience. The room was not what I expected either. Not to mention this was my birthday trip. An unhappy birthday it was.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends