“Bad Experience For The Price Paid”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #53 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 7 May 2008

My stay was 2 years ago, but I feel that people deserve to know that you don't always get what you pay for.
I booked my stay a month in advance and requested a jacuzzi suite. I could not find any available for that weekend in the same area and my boyfriend and I had our heart set on a jacuzzi.

I called two weeks before my stay and asked to upgrade to the romance package. It included a bottle of wine, rose petals and chocolate dipped strawberries. I wanted it to be a surprise for my boyfriend and asked that they make sure everything is ready when we arrive. I called the day before to confirm that we are getting the jacuzzi suite and let them know that we will be in by 4pm.

We got to the hotel, the bellman was too busy smoking to even come and offer to help with our bags. As we were walking by him, rolling our own bags he asked for the keys. My boyfriend said its ok, he will take it, but the bellman said its only valet. We walk in, and I must admit it is a very nice property, but the front desk personnel were too busy to notice us right away. We checked in, and went up to our room.

The room was very nice, beautifully furnished, real classy and modern. My boyfriend went looking for the jacuzzi, ... what he found was just a small tub that becomes a jacuzzi, but it was small, and not what we expected. I have worked at a hotel that had jacuzzi suites, and this was nothing like that.
To top it all off, the special package was not even there! I was furious, because now I have to go down to the front desk and have to explain to my boyfriend what is wrong. So I called them and was given several excuses, but no real answer. I wanted everything to be perfect, but it was not and it completely ruined our night. I know it shouldn't have, but when your heart is set at something it is hard.

Someone came up with the things and she sat down and asked me whats wrong. So I told her that I am not happy with the room, not happy with the fact that the rose petals, strawberries and wine was not waiting for us, I didn't like the service from the minute we got there.

The manager called up a few minutes later and offered us complimentary breakfast. It seems like that is what they do, they mess up and then the manager calls.
We salvaged the night, and the next morning we went down for breakfast. Oh yeah, we could not get room service; that is not how this comp breakfast works! The place is literally a diner! The server was barely awake and looked like she did not want to be there. I got the french toast which was yummy, and my boyfriend got the scrambled eggs very well done. He got his eggs runny and completely turned us off.

Oh and let me not forget, no beverages were included in this comp breakfast, no juice and no coffee/tea!

We went back up, packed and checked out. Checking out was fine... I would NEVER go back, I would rather pay more money than that and stay at the fairmont or four season. The pantages is a disgraceful hotel, they know nothing about the industry.

If you want to go to toronto, and you are looking for average priced rooms, try the holiday inn downtown... absolutely phenomenal service and rooms!!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cruiseluv28
Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 25 April 2008

the hotel is nice and I like the downtown location- Toronto is great
we were impressed with the hotel email,1 week before our stay, informing that they couldnot wait to see us and asking about our special drinks & magazin (fantastic!!) we noticed some minor problems and had A major problem with breakfast as personal overslept . We received an survey and got a reply from David Zalzman,the manager ,that he couldnot believe that we were talking abt his hotel,but the next day he confirmed our remarks and he was hoping to see us next time in his sister hotel.They refused us to compensate for not available breakfast service and when I complaint THEY BLOCKED MY EMAILS (THEY BLOCKED MY IP) The problems where minor but should not excist in a 4 star hotel and not even in a 2 star hotel.
The staff refused to do anything,after massage had to go to my room to get money as couldnot charge to the room, the Spa is a mini wirepool,no slippers available and had to leave without breakfast after waiting til 7.25 (breakfast from 7am!!) But the
handeling of these complaints was terrible, unheard, unprofesional and without respect for the guest.
I would never ever advise this Toronto Pantages Hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Paul B
Reviewed 18 February 2008

You get what you pay for, lovely rooms, great ambiance. If you just want a room to sleep it this may not be for you. This is an upscale place for young professionals rather than a family hotel. I look for places that are better for singles and child-free couples and this suits the bill.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 February 2008

This hotel is perfectly located for a show at Massey Hall or the Canon Theatre - no need for a taxi. We stayed in a "serenity" suite on the 4th floor. Soft lighting, fountains, serene music. Very comfortable king sized bed with duvet and lots of pillows. Rain shower in the bathroom was great, although the jacuzzi tub didn't look that clean. The staff we encountered were all very friendly - maid, parking attendant, front desk clerk. The continental breakfast was very good. High quaility teas and coffee, fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, waffles and very nice cheese. It is a short walk to the Eaton's Centre and Yonge street for shopping.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2008

This review has taken awhile, but I will share my experience with you. In October 2006 my wife and I were getting married. We were looking for a nice hotel at a decent price where we could spend our wedding night. After checking a number of hotels, we were very satisified with the Pantages (in terms of price, room size, layout, etc...), and decided to book it at least 3 months prior to the actual night we needed it. Everything seemed to be in order, I even received an email from the Manager a week before our stay saying that everything was taken care of, and I had more important things to worry about then the hotel.

On Wedding Night, we arrived at the hotel and recevied the keys to a room not the one we had selected. I asked if this was the same room, and the front staff said it was 'similar'. When we got to the room there was nothing similar about the room. I called back down to front desk and was told that someone had taken the room we had wanted, and left their belongings which meant that the hotel staff could not remove it. At this point I was thoroughly disgusted. I will admit that the hotel manager did get on the line with us and said he would do whatever it took to make us feel better. He said he would comp us for the room, however, that really wasn't what we were looking for. Eventually we ended up going to the Cosmopolitan which is a sister company of their's (which they comped), but the whole experience left us very bitter.

After returning from our honeymoon I sent the Manager an email stating how dissapointed I was in their service and the fact that I never even received an apology letter. She did send me an apology letter after and called me as well to tell me how sorry she was, but it wasn't enough.

It's been more than a year since this incident has happened, and the experience still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I strongly urge all potential guests of this property to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T-dot_Traveller_76
Reviewed 27 January 2008

The location of this hotel is terrific, the staff were courteous and friendly, but the hotel itself is need of repairs, painting and generally updating. We were put into one room at first that had a loose floor, water stains on the walls, bedspread with holes in it and grubby looking furniture. When we expressed our disappointment with the room the staff were great and moved us to a different, bigger room. The only thing was that the same things were wrong with this room! There were many scratches on the furniture, baseboards falling off and the artwork on the wall had dents all around the corners! We soon found out the reason as it kept falling off the wall! The rooms were basically shabby. But the staff were nice, the service was good and the location is great.

• Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank suburbanmomCanada
Reviewed 20 January 2008

What a fantastic hotel. The staff is friendly and professional. The hotel is clean and well appointed.

We booked a superior room but upgraded when we got there into a room with a big living room and separate bedroom. Somehow they found out we were celebrating my birthday and they sent a nice cake and even sang!

The people who work there look like they are having fun and they were so helpful in directing us to the best shopping and dining experiences.

This was my first time in a boutique hotel but it will not be my last!!!

The rooms had a washer and dryer and a kitchen. The hardwood floors were really nice.

We had a great time at Pantages and will be back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)