“Looks can be deceiving” 2 of 5 bubbles

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #47 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
“Looks can be deceiving”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2005

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Pantages Hotel and enjoyed the location. That is the best part. I agree with a previous review that the fixtures, furniture and amenities in general are poor quality. Wear and tear are noticeable. The worst part of the experience was the quality of the bedding. After a great night out with friends, we were underwhelmed by the hard pillows, heavy comforter and scratchy sheets. I have stayed at many hotels and believe the bed is the most important feature. Not at this hotel. The staff worked hard to meet our needs. I hate to be so negative, but...the key cards did not work most of the time...Did not go to the spa due to the poor quality of the rest of the hotel. Design is nice.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2005

As a former Torontonian, I've had an opportunity to stay at various hotels in the city centre area. The new Pantages hotel by fax exceeds expectations every time. The bellmen remember you and welcom you back. The rooms are spacious with no details overlooked. The beds are so comfortable and have a featherbed for added luxury, I was actually looking forward to going to bed every night! Room service was timely. I love the spa which is so relaxing and the area is fantastic if you enjoy shopping and very good restaurants in a trendy central area. I will definitely be back.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2005

I have stayed at this hotel on a couple visits to Toronto and I will stay there again. I like the contemporary design. I have always had great and helpful service. The location can't be beat. I love having a washer and dryer in the room. I am a big fan of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
8 Thank apricots-raspberries
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2005

My husband and I stayed at Pantages for 3 nights. I was attending at conference at Marriott Eaton Centre but chose to stay at this hotel based on previous positive reviews. We're so glad we did! The Marriott is lovely but Pantages is really special. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the attention to details is wonderful. The decor is hip and contemporary yet warm and soothing. Retro furnishings, black and white photography, frames of bubbling water, soft lighting, wood and Zen touches define the lobby and hallways. A cozy nook in the lobby, with fireplace, is a great place to have an evening cocktail. We really enjoyed the restaurant, Fran's, which offered a varied comfort food menu as opposed to the more formal offerings at bigger hotels (many great restaurants just a stroll away on Elm Street). The staff in the restaurant and hotel were very friendly and efficient. Andy was very knowledgable and helpful with restaurant selections. The lobby also offers a mini-market that is stocked with great little nibbles, including an ice-cream freezer.

We stayed on the Serenity Floor which was perfect for us. We did not require the "suite" amenities. We really appreciated the cleanliness of hardwood (laminate, actually) floors vs. dusty carpet. The room offered an air purifier, a large vase of tall twigs with a lit, quartz water fountain at their base(great night light), super comfy bedding, TV tucked into an armoire, CD player, separate shower and hydro-tub, beautiful Asian style sink, dimmer lights, wonderfully scented bath products, fluffy towels...it just goes on and on. We liked the unique touch of placing semi-precious stones on our pillows instead of chocolates (bought our own Cadbury's in the mini-market). The robes were thick and warm, something I really appreciated when I came down with a cold during our stay. The Serenity Floor hallways were scented with good quality aromatherapy fragrance...very light and pleasant. I also took advantage of the beautiful spa and enjoyed a great massage.

Our room also included full or continental breakfast at Fran's. The full breakfast selection was fine but the continental breakfast offered, among other naughty pastries, an amazing apple streudel. The hotel's location is very convenient though the block it faces is somewhat glum. We were not disturbed by city noise, including the hospital located across the street.

It was a wonderful stay in everyway!

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
8 Thank Linny15
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2005

Having had the chance to stay at many hotels worldwide for business and leisure, I expected so much more from the Pantages Hotel. This hotel opened in April 2005 with a very inexperienced team of staff to run it. The Pantages calls itslef a "boutique hotel" and at first glance it is a cool spot. However once one settles in - it becomes apparent that corners were cut at every opportunity with it's cheap bathroom fixtures, hollow doors, low quality laminate flooring, shoddy messy construction and (while a kitchen in your room can be a good idea) the Goldstar microwave, Citizen TV and Danby fridge are bottom of the line. This hotel has obviously not thought through the needs of the traveller and only concentrated on attempting a NYC boutique feel. A phone, but only on the desk far from the bed - inconvenient for wake up calls. No clock radio so you have to rely on hotel wake up calls which are not reliable at all. Dark, jumpy elevators which scratchy repetitive music - same sound track on repeat every hour it seems.
Most frustrating were the Sales Staff who were unproffesional, rude & unaccommodating with almost every request. Double booking rooms, inadequate knowledge of group functions and very poor customer service will keep me from referring or bringing back business - with work or or for leisure.

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2005

This lovely boutique hotel in Toronto was everything I expected and more. The service was absolutely wonderful from the valet, to Melissa on the front desk. We had a suite which had all the amenities you needed. The bed was perfect and the fact that the windows opened was really nice. The ambiance is serene and upscale. We had massages in the spa where we were treated like a King & Queen. This is the third boutique hotel we have stayed in in Toronto, also South Beach and by FAR the best! The little restaurant is not too trendy and overpriced. The price is amazingly good, especially for the Romantic Retreat pkg. we had. We highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2005
8 Thank notsohappy12
London England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2005

After reading rave reviews for this hotel I was considerably disappointed once I arrived. The first issue was hot water, or lack of it, and after asking four times for it to be fixed I was finally moved to another room (albeit better), where there was no bath plug (something which took another three days and numerous mentions to fix). If you order food it comes from the adjacent cafe, and is served in plastic cartons and is often not warm. Plus the hotel is already feeling a bit run down - the corridors are already in a state of disrepair. I don't think there's enough staff to go around in general. Considering the cost I think this hotel requires a serious management overhaul.

• Stayed August 2005