“Do Not stay here. Rudest customer service ever.”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #53 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal
“Do Not stay here. Rudest customer service ever.”
Reviewed 29 January 2006

We arrived at the Pantages hotel on a Friday evening by car. There was no free space to leave our car so we had to double park while we waited about 20 minutes for a valet to come and park our car for us. When we finally checked in, we found our completely filthy. It was covered in dust with bits of debris scattered all over the carpet. The staff was understanding and accomadating at this point and assigned us a new room which was satisfactory. Everything was fine up until the following night when we returned by car to the hotel at around 11:15 pm, and again, there was no valet. This was surprising considering the hotel charges an outrageous 30$ per night for parking. Again, there were cars in the small driveway which left no place to leave the car so while my boyfriend double parked I went inside to talk to the front desk to request someone to come out to park the car. The man at the desk barely loked up and told me the valet goes home at 11 pm. He rudely told me to leave my car where it was and someone would eventually move it. I told him that I was double parked and I was not comfortable leaving the car where it was. He then SNAPPED at me - barking sarcastically "that's why we have a driveway". I couldn't believe how rude it was. When I told him that there were cars occupying all the spaces, he didn't seem to care, and told me to park the car accross the street until someone could come out. This hotel is in a dangerous area of downtown Toronto, and I was not about to leave the car unattended for an undetermined amount of time - he got very annoyed, threw a ticket at me and with a raised voice finally agreed to park my car. He came outside and by this point, there was a free spot in the driveway so my boyfriend had just pulled in. He looked at me and accused me of lying about being double parked!
It took all that I had inside of me to keep calm because my blood was boiling. When my boyfriend asked him if there was a problem, he was equally as rude to him. He threw us a card for the general manager and told us to talk to him if we were unhappy. We certainly plan on doing just that, but I'm not sure it will accomplish anything.
I travel a great deal for business, and I could honestly say that I have never been treated like this at any hotel. Ever. This ruined our stay. I never write in to post reviews on websites like this, but I felt as if customer service like this should never be experienced by anyone. There were other staff who were very friendly and helpful. It is a real shame that the behavior of one person (compounded with the hotel's parking policy) could erase the hard work of the other hard working staff members.

Stayed January 2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Reviewed 26 December 2005

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Pantages Hotel and enjoyed the location. That is the best part. I agree with a previous review that the fixtures, furniture and amenities in general are poor quality. Wear and tear are noticeable. The worst part of the experience was the quality of the bedding. After a great night out with friends, we were underwhelmed by the hard pillows, heavy comforter and scratchy sheets. I have stayed at many hotels and believe the bed is the most important feature. Not at this hotel. The staff worked hard to meet our needs. I hate to be so negative, but...the key cards did not work most of the time...Did not go to the spa due to the poor quality of the rest of the hotel. Design is nice.

• Stayed December 2005
Reviewed 18 December 2005

As a former Torontonian, I've had an opportunity to stay at various hotels in the city centre area. The new Pantages hotel by fax exceeds expectations every time. The bellmen remember you and welcom you back. The rooms are spacious with no details overlooked. The beds are so comfortable and have a featherbed for added luxury, I was actually looking forward to going to bed every night! Room service was timely. I love the spa which is so relaxing and the area is fantastic if you enjoy shopping and very good restaurants in a trendy central area. I will definitely be back.

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 7 December 2005

I have stayed at this hotel on a couple visits to Toronto and I will stay there again. I like the contemporary design. I have always had great and helpful service. The location can't be beat. I love having a washer and dryer in the room. I am a big fan of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2005

My husband and I stayed at Pantages for 3 nights. I was attending at conference at Marriott Eaton Centre but chose to stay at this hotel based on previous positive reviews. We're so glad we did! The Marriott is lovely but Pantages is really special. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the attention to details is wonderful. The decor is hip and contemporary yet warm and soothing. Retro furnishings, black and white photography, frames of bubbling water, soft lighting, wood and Zen touches define the lobby and hallways. A cozy nook in the lobby, with fireplace, is a great place to have an evening cocktail. We really enjoyed the restaurant, Fran's, which offered a varied comfort food menu as opposed to the more formal offerings at bigger hotels (many great restaurants just a stroll away on Elm Street). The staff in the restaurant and hotel were very friendly and efficient. Andy was very knowledgable and helpful with restaurant selections. The lobby also offers a mini-market that is stocked with great little nibbles, including an ice-cream freezer.

We stayed on the Serenity Floor which was perfect for us. We did not require the "suite" amenities. We really appreciated the cleanliness of hardwood (laminate, actually) floors vs. dusty carpet. The room offered an air purifier, a large vase of tall twigs with a lit, quartz water fountain at their base(great night light), super comfy bedding, TV tucked into an armoire, CD player, separate shower and hydro-tub, beautiful Asian style sink, dimmer lights, wonderfully scented bath products, fluffy towels...it just goes on and on. We liked the unique touch of placing semi-precious stones on our pillows instead of chocolates (bought our own Cadbury's in the mini-market). The robes were thick and warm, something I really appreciated when I came down with a cold during our stay. The Serenity Floor hallways were scented with good quality aromatherapy fragrance...very light and pleasant. I also took advantage of the beautiful spa and enjoyed a great massage.

Our room also included full or continental breakfast at Fran's. The full breakfast selection was fine but the continental breakfast offered, among other naughty pastries, an amazing apple streudel. The hotel's location is very convenient though the block it faces is somewhat glum. We were not disturbed by city noise, including the hospital located across the street.

It was a wonderful stay in everyway!

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2005

Having had the chance to stay at many hotels worldwide for business and leisure, I expected so much more from the Pantages Hotel. This hotel opened in April 2005 with a very inexperienced team of staff to run it. The Pantages calls itslef a "boutique hotel" and at first glance it is a cool spot. However once one settles in - it becomes apparent that corners were cut at every opportunity with it's cheap bathroom fixtures, hollow doors, low quality laminate flooring, shoddy messy construction and (while a kitchen in your room can be a good idea) the Goldstar microwave, Citizen TV and Danby fridge are bottom of the line. This hotel has obviously not thought through the needs of the traveller and only concentrated on attempting a NYC boutique feel. A phone, but only on the desk far from the bed - inconvenient for wake up calls. No clock radio so you have to rely on hotel wake up calls which are not reliable at all. Dark, jumpy elevators which scratchy repetitive music - same sound track on repeat every hour it seems.
Most frustrating were the Sales Staff who were unproffesional, rude & unaccommodating with almost every request. Double booking rooms, inadequate knowledge of group functions and very poor customer service will keep me from referring or bringing back business - with work or or for leisure.

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2005

This lovely boutique hotel in Toronto was everything I expected and more. The service was absolutely wonderful from the valet, to Melissa on the front desk. We had a suite which had all the amenities you needed. The bed was perfect and the fact that the windows opened was really nice. The ambiance is serene and upscale. We had massages in the spa where we were treated like a King & Queen. This is the third boutique hotel we have stayed in in Toronto, also South Beach and by FAR the best! The little restaurant is not too trendy and overpriced. The price is amazingly good, especially for the Romantic Retreat pkg. we had. We highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2005