“Would come back again!!”

Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #53 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
A TripAdvisor Member
“Would come back again!!”
Reviewed 8 March 2006

I have traveled for business quite often and have not stayed at a hotel anything like it. I am quite a hotel snob and really picky with the cleanliness of hotel rooms. The entrance of the hotel/lobby is not that big but very trendy and inviting. When I got to my hotel room (deluxe suite), I was so impressed with everything! I loved the wood floors, the ultra-metro furniture and bed and the bathroom was very clean!! I am so picky with the details of hotels I stay at, however this hotel made me feel right at home. The bed had quality white linens, fluffy white pillows and was very comfortable to sleep in. I usually have a hard time sleeping in hotels by myself but this one I had no problem. The location of the hotel is also GREAT. I am right on Yonge street, which is the main street in Downtown Toronto. It is across the street from Eaton Centre which is famous mall in Downtown Toronto. It is also near Toronto's underground subway which I took to work in the morning and that was an experience itself. This hotel has made my stay at Toronto a very pleasant one. I absolutely loved my stay here and want to come here everytime I stay in Toronto.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 February 2006

The Pantages is a new hotel that is really close to the Eaton Center. The Eaton Center is ‘the shopping mall’ in downtown connected to the PATH system linking office buildings underground. It lies between 2 subway stops: Dundas and Queen.

There was a lot said about the hotel service in previous reviews. I think to be fair, the staff performance were satisfactory or good during my stay, for Canadian standards. There is of course room for improvement with regards to customer service there, which often involves a lot of fine tuning and proper training of staff.

Security is important. The staff checked whether I was hotel guest whilst I was using the free internet in the lobby. Hotel floors can only be accessed after inserting the hotel room card in the lift, which did not work in the last 2 days of stay. The surrounding streets and the hotel, being right across from Massey Hall and St. Michael’s Hospital, are well lit; although downtown has a lot of people on the streets still. Toronto is relatively very safe compared to other North American cities.

Check-in was quick and smooth; the lobby was hip with seating on both sides of the fireplace. Serenity suites (without the kitchen appliances) were on the 5th floor, closer to the spa I guess. I had 1416, probably quieter the higher up. The regular suites are very well equipped except there was no safe: magazines, daily newspaper, hairdryer, well stocked fridge, microwave, dishwasher, different dishes/bowls, glasses, wineglasses, linen, sink, faux granite kitchen counter with stove, coffee/tea maker, washer/dryer, iron/iron board, 2 bar stools, and some fake apples. Storage was ample.

There was for sure enough room to walk around in, with a custom desk/sofa unit close to but not right against the window drapes. The lighting were appropriately positioned. The bed was queen sized, with quality linen and lots of big pillows. The floor was hardwood laminate, but very clean. The suite resembled the build quality in some Toronto Condos. There were some scuff marks on the laminate furniture and walls. But overall, very clean.

Being a downtown hotel, there is bound to be some noise from the streets, namely sirens, which is unavoidable in any big city, no matter how well insulated the windows are. There was the expected fridge noise not too far from the bed. The ‘flatscreen’ (CRT) TV was good sized with all the channels from Rogers Cable. I did try out the in-hotel gym which was quite new and had a view to the east.

Other hotels I have considered: the Courtyard Marriott with the new bed, the Sheraton with the renovated rooms and a nice pool, the new Cosmopolitan, the new 1 King Street, and the Cambridge Suites. I would definitely stay at the Pantages again for the location, and the comfortable room.

Toronto is a destination full of nice people, whether your visit is for business or pleasure. Come to the Pantages for the location and the unique boutique feel- the Canadian way.

Montreal
Reviewed 29 January 2006

We arrived at the Pantages hotel on a Friday evening by car. There was no free space to leave our car so we had to double park while we waited about 20 minutes for a valet to come and park our car for us. When we finally checked in, we found our completely filthy. It was covered in dust with bits of debris scattered all over the carpet. The staff was understanding and accomadating at this point and assigned us a new room which was satisfactory. Everything was fine up until the following night when we returned by car to the hotel at around 11:15 pm, and again, there was no valet. This was surprising considering the hotel charges an outrageous 30$ per night for parking. Again, there were cars in the small driveway which left no place to leave the car so while my boyfriend double parked I went inside to talk to the front desk to request someone to come out to park the car. The man at the desk barely loked up and told me the valet goes home at 11 pm. He rudely told me to leave my car where it was and someone would eventually move it. I told him that I was double parked and I was not comfortable leaving the car where it was. He then SNAPPED at me - barking sarcastically "that's why we have a driveway". I couldn't believe how rude it was. When I told him that there were cars occupying all the spaces, he didn't seem to care, and told me to park the car accross the street until someone could come out. This hotel is in a dangerous area of downtown Toronto, and I was not about to leave the car unattended for an undetermined amount of time - he got very annoyed, threw a ticket at me and with a raised voice finally agreed to park my car. He came outside and by this point, there was a free spot in the driveway so my boyfriend had just pulled in. He looked at me and accused me of lying about being double parked!
It took all that I had inside of me to keep calm because my blood was boiling. When my boyfriend asked him if there was a problem, he was equally as rude to him. He threw us a card for the general manager and told us to talk to him if we were unhappy. We certainly plan on doing just that, but I'm not sure it will accomplish anything.
I travel a great deal for business, and I could honestly say that I have never been treated like this at any hotel. Ever. This ruined our stay. I never write in to post reviews on websites like this, but I felt as if customer service like this should never be experienced by anyone. There were other staff who were very friendly and helpful. It is a real shame that the behavior of one person (compounded with the hotel's parking policy) could erase the hard work of the other hard working staff members.

Stayed January 2006
Reviewed 26 December 2005

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Pantages Hotel and enjoyed the location. That is the best part. I agree with a previous review that the fixtures, furniture and amenities in general are poor quality. Wear and tear are noticeable. The worst part of the experience was the quality of the bedding. After a great night out with friends, we were underwhelmed by the hard pillows, heavy comforter and scratchy sheets. I have stayed at many hotels and believe the bed is the most important feature. Not at this hotel. The staff worked hard to meet our needs. I hate to be so negative, but...the key cards did not work most of the time...Did not go to the spa due to the poor quality of the rest of the hotel. Design is nice.

• Stayed December 2005
Reviewed 18 December 2005

As a former Torontonian, I've had an opportunity to stay at various hotels in the city centre area. The new Pantages hotel by fax exceeds expectations every time. The bellmen remember you and welcom you back. The rooms are spacious with no details overlooked. The beds are so comfortable and have a featherbed for added luxury, I was actually looking forward to going to bed every night! Room service was timely. I love the spa which is so relaxing and the area is fantastic if you enjoy shopping and very good restaurants in a trendy central area. I will definitely be back.

Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed 7 December 2005

I have stayed at this hotel on a couple visits to Toronto and I will stay there again. I like the contemporary design. I have always had great and helpful service. The location can't be beat. I love having a washer and dryer in the room. I am a big fan of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2005

My husband and I stayed at Pantages for 3 nights. I was attending at conference at Marriott Eaton Centre but chose to stay at this hotel based on previous positive reviews. We're so glad we did! The Marriott is lovely but Pantages is really special. As previous reviewers have mentioned, the attention to details is wonderful. The decor is hip and contemporary yet warm and soothing. Retro furnishings, black and white photography, frames of bubbling water, soft lighting, wood and Zen touches define the lobby and hallways. A cozy nook in the lobby, with fireplace, is a great place to have an evening cocktail. We really enjoyed the restaurant, Fran's, which offered a varied comfort food menu as opposed to the more formal offerings at bigger hotels (many great restaurants just a stroll away on Elm Street). The staff in the restaurant and hotel were very friendly and efficient. Andy was very knowledgable and helpful with restaurant selections. The lobby also offers a mini-market that is stocked with great little nibbles, including an ice-cream freezer.

We stayed on the Serenity Floor which was perfect for us. We did not require the "suite" amenities. We really appreciated the cleanliness of hardwood (laminate, actually) floors vs. dusty carpet. The room offered an air purifier, a large vase of tall twigs with a lit, quartz water fountain at their base(great night light), super comfy bedding, TV tucked into an armoire, CD player, separate shower and hydro-tub, beautiful Asian style sink, dimmer lights, wonderfully scented bath products, fluffy towels...it just goes on and on. We liked the unique touch of placing semi-precious stones on our pillows instead of chocolates (bought our own Cadbury's in the mini-market). The robes were thick and warm, something I really appreciated when I came down with a cold during our stay. The Serenity Floor hallways were scented with good quality aromatherapy fragrance...very light and pleasant. I also took advantage of the beautiful spa and enjoyed a great massage.

Our room also included full or continental breakfast at Fran's. The full breakfast selection was fine but the continental breakfast offered, among other naughty pastries, an amazing apple streudel. The hotel's location is very convenient though the block it faces is somewhat glum. We were not disturbed by city noise, including the hospital located across the street.

It was a wonderful stay in everyway!

• Stayed November 2005, travelled on business