“I would stay here again, despite the issues”
Review of 89 Chestnut

89 Chestnut
Ranked #99 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Netherlands
“I would stay here again, despite the issues”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is a former hotel that is now a student residence.

My room was pretty well the same as what you'd find in a hotel, but it was €15 cheaper than other proper hotels in the area. It had everything that a hotel room has, but it was not quite at the standard of a modern hotel room.

I had a beautiful view of the city. Strong aircon that you can control. You cannot open the windows. I couldn't hear the neighbours through the wall.

The breakfast was a surprise. Really quite good in the circumstances.

The location is outstanding. It's closest to St Patrick subway stop but College is also easy walking distance away. Dim sum, pho, kimchi, sushi, caffe latte, are all within 200 metres of the front door. Heck, the entire Eaton Centre (and much more) is with a 5 minute walk.

The residence, once a big, proper hotel, is now a little frayed around the edges. It needs more maintenance than they are willing to do.

There is no wifi. However, I found a connection anyway and was able to use my phone in my room on the 16th floor. For C$5 they rent you a modem which you can set up in the room to connect your laptop. Annoyingly old-fashioned system. They're trying to get something better.

As you might expect, kids and students stay here. Not really upscale.

Some things here feel institutional. For example, they don't want you to take coffee mugs back up to the room. When I tried, I got a humiliating lecture by the security guard. Protesting only led me to this weird realisation that this guy thought he could tell guests what to do. Not service oriented. Ultimately this single incident almost spoiled my stay here. Be prepared to surrender your dignity for the €15 you save by staying here. Or be prepared to follow their "dorm rules".

However, I would stay here again, especially if there was nothing else available in this general price range. I was thinking it was too expensive for what you get until I saw the breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank zwerf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

where should i start - this is a university student residence - NOT a hotel... and shouldnt be on accommodation hotel websites. it is a room with a bed and a bathroom - and breakfast.

there is no drain in the bathroom - so the bathroom floor is always wet - since the tap features are almost falling off, you turn it to cold to get heat and vice versa, the towels are tiny, thats when you are not using them to try and dry the bathroom floor (no extra towels in 3 days)

there is a small room on my floor that has a microwave and a fridge (thats it) the floor and one of the walls is pretty dirty - and hasnt been cleaned or the rubbish removed in 3 days

when i rang for a mug to make some tea in (using the microwave) i was told to go out and buy my own, since the room comes with a flimsy plastic cup - obviously not allowed to use any of the mugs used in the complex for events - and definitely not allowed to use a mug from the breakfast area....

it might sound petty - but there are no coathangers etc etc... its literally a bed and a bathroom and a desk / lamp... there are two breakout rooms (one is closed is closed for maintenance) on the top floor... with some lounges and a couple of TVs... telling me my free internet works up there (but only if you're a university of toronto student!!!!)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

89 Chestnut has an unbeatable location at the heart of Toronto city, close to city attractions, the CBD, Chinatown and transport links
The food at the cafeteria (Chestnut tree) is of a high quality and there is much variety available
Staff are friendly and hospitable.
I enjoyed my stay :)

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank edwinkyw
Brownsville, Texas
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed there in mid August for a chess tournament for my kids......
The good things first....excellent location very close to Eaton center, Dundas square, light rail and subway. The staff was helpful and friendly.
But the rooms are horrible. It probably won't even get one star. Carpet filthy,don't feel like stepping on it bare feet. Furniture old ....won't even buy from a garage sale. There were 2 desks and 2 chairs...one was really old,broken with ripped upholstery and the other has lot of hair on it !!
No headboard on the bed,each pillow different size. The sheets not the best bit they were clean.
The bathroom sink was broken, missing drain stopper, tub faucet dripping....can go on and on.
AC in the room didn't work when we got here.....they sent someone,he had to replace the whole unit and left all the mess after him. And mind you no house keeping. It is done only once a week. We stayed for 7 nights so had to get toilet paper and trashcan liners from front desk when we needed more.
It is a student dorm so don't expect hotel service. If you are getting exceptionally good deal and are willing to tolerate all this .......will never stay there again.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that are better apparently.....probably 4/5th floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Trakru
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

A total disappointment to be in this "hotel", if they like to call it. It caters to college students who stay there for a long time periods. It was shocking to see that authorities get away with such horrible rooms, service and decor. The room was not cleaning before our arrival and there was debri everywhere. The carpets had not been cleaned in ages and you are guaranteed to throw up if you dare to pick their common refrigerators on each floor. No tvs, no free phone calls to U.S., cleaning service available only one in 5 days. You have to go down to the front desk to collect your "ration" of fresh towels and soap every night. The a/c unit made loud noise and the worst pillows I have ever slept on. The mattress box did not have covers and the comforters looked unwashed. The elevators take forever to come up and down. The only good things about this place was the proximty to the city centre and the elaborate breakfast that was part of the stay. Other than that the hotel owners should be sued for the quality of service they provide to their customers. A total rip-off! Go across the street and you will find much better hotels for almost the same price. Pay more if you need to but do NOT stay here. You will thank me for this advice!!!

Room Tip: The Eaton center is close by and the CN tower is a few blocks away. The aquarium was due to open in...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank desiyatriUSA
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The original booking was done through Booking.com for July 16th to July 19th. Prior to arriving I called to verify some questions about bedding, air conditioning, lounge area, breakfast, towels, etc. We arrived on July 16th at 3:30 pm and were assigned a room on the 21st floor, Upon arrival in our room we turned on the air conditioning because the room was very hot. The room had two double beds with soiled carpeting. The room temperature did not change after a half hour so we went down to the front desk. Front desk put in a call to maintenance to have the air conditioning fixed in lieu of offering us a different room . We were forced to leave our room and go into into the sweltering heat of Toronto while this was being done. Upon reentry into the room we found first that the air had not improved and secondly that there were new boot prints all over the carpeting from maintenance. The carpeting on the side of the bed beside the air conditioning unit was wet and we stepped on it with our stocking feet. I called down to the Front desk to advise them that the air was still not working and they asked that I give them a minute and they would call me back. They called back and asked that we meet them on the 14th floor to see another room. We were relocated and finally re situated in a new room by 6:45 pm. I asked that the Manager be called and the Front Desk called Krishna. After I explained the entire situation to him and told him that it took over 3 hrs for us to get a proper room he said he would have to check with his team and that I could call him back the next morning. I asked that he call me back the next morning. I cancelled my morning plans and waited for his call which never came. My Husband finally called Krishna from Montreal that afternoon because the whole situation was unacceptable. Krishna said that he had not called me yet because the day was not over, He told me husband that the air was working fine and that the carpeting was wet because it had been washed (it was not wet anywhere but by the unit and only after it was worked on and if it was washed is it policy to send guests into a room with wet carpets). My husband said that the whole situation was unacceptable and that I would be leaving on the 18th rather than the 19th of July as planned. Krishna would not admit to any fault but said that I would have to deal with Booking.com since that was who I booked my hotel through. I did get a $55.94 credit for half a day but when I received my billed via email from Booking.com it stated that I should have only been charged for 2 days, but Chestnut Residence charged me for 2 and a half therefore further credit is due to me. I would also like to point out that the elevators were constantly malfunctioning and broken. Krishna the manager lacks in Customer service. Due to his inability to take immediate responsibility for the mistakes made instead of blaming Booking.com, our trip was ruined and cut short. We felt mistreated and mishandled. To sum it all up, I would not recommend the Chestnut Residence to anyone, not even if they had nowhere else to go.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Weary T
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Worst front desk ever. I call down to the front desk to let them know that the bathroom has no hot water and she said its not their problem. I then call couple more times and eventually went down to young Asian lady and ask to speak to her manager. Then she said my manager don't deal with guest and gave me the dirties look ever. However, I find the security desk guys way more helpful. That night pretty much made me wanted to pack my stuff and leave. Worst front desk but good price and location.

• Stayed July 2013