“Not So Happy”

Ranked #82 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I bought this hotel on a Dealfind to check it out as I visit the city often. It is run by young people, which is fine, and most of the guests are young people with ice buckets in hand. The first room they gave me hadn't been cleaned at all. They immediately gave me another, and it was fine, clean, all in order. I was only there 2 nights and missed breakfast both days because it's held too early, but that's up to the hotel. When I checked out, I was given a bill for the taxes, the usual Dealfind voucher thing. When I get home there are two $100 charges on my VISA. I called and they were for 'incidentals' and somehow, one was a mistake and both would be removed and to call back the next day to speak 'with the accountant'. I called the next day and the girl at the desk was helpful and removed the charges and said it would take 1 to 3 business days. I've already been out of the hotel 2 days and now I need to wait over the weekend and then another 1 to 3 days. The second $100 charge was a 'mistake' I was told, and also, 'the accountant is offsite'. I have just returned from a 3 week trip that took me to 3 provinces and to the United States on business. That I have to deal with this is very annoying to me as there's a huge pile-up of work. I told the girl today that I've stayed at many hotels and many are high-end hotels or mid-range, including the one I had just left to come to the Comfort Inn, and not one had an 'incidentals' charge on my bill. In fact, I've never seen an incidentals charge on my credit card because, presumably, they remove them immediately. The Comfort Inn in Toronto downtown is a good hotel in terms of being relatively clean (I had to wipe crud off the desk myself) and well situated. But do pay attention to your credit card. No one likes to have to deal with things like this after a trip, and it's all so unnecessary. If they are charging cards because of the young clientele ('we charge because there might be damage to the room'), then they should get a handle on older clientele, unless this is just a youth hotel, in which case, advertise it that way.

Room Tip: Pay attention to your credit card after you've checked out.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bellesque
Kumar S, Manager at Comfort Inn City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Good Day;

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Comfort Inn City Centre, Toronto. Your feedback is very important to us.

At The Comfort Inn City Centre , we strive to provide a superior guest experience, and I am sorry yours did not meet expectations.

My sincere apologies, we have investigated the matter and have implemented a procedure to minimize the inconvenience to the guests whilst complying with hotel policies.

Rest assured appropriate measures are being taken to prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Comfort Inn City Centre.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for a business trip. The lobby has been recently renovated and is clean with coffee and newspapers available. The rooms are large and very clean. The bathroom in my king room was quite small with limited counterspace - but was spotless. The decor of the rooms is dated, but they are well appointed with new TVs, fridge, Keurig machines, etc.
The front desk staff was friendly and helpful every time we had a question. They also held our luggage for the day after we checked out.
It is within walking distance of OISE, the ROM and lots of shopping. There are a large number of restaurants in the area.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Good Day;

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Comfort Inn City Centre.

Your feedback will be shared with the team to serve as recognition and encouragement; as we strive to continuously improve our guest experience.

Comfort Inn City Centre.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel is tired and needs some TLC. Other than central location, there really isn't much in favour of this hotel.

This was the worst hotel stay my family and I have ever had. We needed to get up early to do the Sporting Life 10k run, however we did not get any, and I mean ANY sleep. None. Zero. All night long, there were a bunch of drunk idiots in the hallway yelling and making a lot of noise. I called the front desk at 2 a.m., and they did come up and warn them. That last for a few minutes before it got loud again. I called the front desk again at 3 a.m. They were again warned, however it did no good. I ended up going out at 5 a.m. to speak to these morons and they finally became quiet. However, we had to get up at that time anyway. This was completely unacceptable. I would strongly advise against staying at this hotel, unless you don't require any sleep whatsoever - in which case, it would be perfect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Good Day;

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Comfort Inn City Centre.

At the Comfort Inn City Centre , we strive to provide a superior guest experience, and I am sorry yours did not meet expectations.

Rest assured appropriate measures are being taken to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Comfort Inn City Centre, Toronto

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I paid 80 with tax for one night here and I was surprise at how great it was, what a hidden gem! A 5 min walk from young and dundas it is in a perfect location. Clean. Newly renovated rooms. Only downside is no parking and continental breakfast was just ok. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a good bargain!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Kumar S, Manager at Comfort Inn City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Shan;

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Scored a good deal for $70 a night. Room was spacious, clean, pretty, and nice. Bed was comfy, very big bathroom and overall I was pleasantly surprised because I had low expectations for the price we paid! I liked that they had comfy, nice carpet. It seemed a bit more upscale for the motels I am used to paying that much for. Would I pay over $100? Probably not though. P.S. Parking is $20, or you can do what I did. & Use the parking lot down the street for like $7, but it's only till 6 am I think, so up to you how you wanna work thay out.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Madam;

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We booked this with Choice Hotels and got a great price. It is right opposite Ryerson University and as mentioned inn other reviews within walking distance of the Eaton Center and Dundas Subway. The rooms are very nicely renovated, the hotel being an older building. They have retained some of the charm by keeping the original staircase. We were on the top floor, 4 story building and I would not wanted a room in the basement. The breakfast room was down there and there are windows but they had to out lighting in the windows to brighten the room. You get free internet in your room which is rare at hotels in downtown Toronto. The breakfast had choices of waffles, scrambled and hard boiled eggs, cereals and fresh fruit-apples and oranges. We were 2 nights and didn't have to repeat which was nice. The lobby is small but very welcoming with a fireplace and seating area. Our room had a fridge and microwave. Great for leftovers and storing drinks. There is a mini- mart directly across the street. Our room faced a brick wall, no view but very quiet for sleeping. We would definitely use this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you can handle the stairs take a 4th floor room.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catherine K
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Comfort Inn City Centre is a nice newly renovated three store hotel with small but comfortable and modern rooms. It's a bit pricey but worth the money if you cherish good night sleep and want to explore the city by walking. For example 15 minutes walk to bus station and the restaurants nearby and 25 minutes to Hockey Hall of Fame

Room Tip: The street in front of the hotel isn't too busy but asking for a room away from the street gives...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple