“Won't exceed expectations”

Ranked #79 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Won't exceed expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a great place to stay for the budget minded traveler, however you will have to know to temper your expectations. The rooms were a nice size and clean, and featured a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom has a modern design, however the shower doesn't close so it can get drafty, and the floor will get wet. The hallway light in front of our room door was burned out for most of our stay, the front desk let us know it was back ordered, and by the second to last day of our stay it was installed. The location is convenient to public transit, as well as bike share racks.

Unfortunately we had some negative experiences with housekeeping, including a day where our sheets were either not changed or we were given dirty sheets (we weren't sure, and the front desk told us that the sheets were for sure changed daily). The front desk staff did their best to make it right, bringing up new sheets and helping us to put them on. The next day, we saw the housekeeper in the hallway, said hello, but she gave us a cold look and kept moving. We weren't sure if the front desk had let her know about our sheets and she had a chip on her shoulder or was just having a bad day. Either way it made for an awkward encounter.

This is a great homebase for exploring Toronto. There are a few parking lots within walking distance where you can store your car (factor in an extra $20-$25 a day for parking). The free breakfast is a plus with hot waffles, a protein (bacon or sausage) and eggs. One of the highlights of the service staff was the breakfast attendant, who was more than happy to offer suggestions about things to do in the city and other general conversation. The front desk staff showed their inexperience in hospitality. I would say that they are understaffed, it seemed as though there was only one person working the front desk at a time, so if there was any issues with a guest, they would leave the desk unattended to handle the issues. This caused longs waits to check in, to get our issues resolved, and put a noticeable strain on the workers.

All in all, this is a decent place to stay, if you aren't expecting the world. With a budget type of hotel there are some sacrifices you expect to make, however the service shouldn't be one. I think if the staff was better trained/more supported (i.e. more than one person working the front desk), our stay would have been better. However, there weren't enough negatives to preclude us from staying here again, just lots of room for improvement.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor, but with the higher floors be aware of the elevator. It is slow, small...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
North Bay, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

There's not a whole lot to complain about at this hotel save and except for the fact that there's no parking, whatsoever, at the property. I stayed for two nights this past week and I have nothing, really, to complain about that's of any substance.

That being said, I do have a couple of small concerns. Firstly, I was on the 100 level which is actually in the basement of the hotel. As you might imagine for an underground floor, the hallway smelled a tiny bit musty but, to be clear, there was no hint of that in my room.

When they set up for breakfast in the morning, they put a sign up in the narrow hallway making passage difficult for all but the agile. The complimentary breakfast was fair but the scrambled eggs seemed a little overcooked. The staff are quite friendly but, when checking in, there was absolutely no one in the lobby to check me in and I and another gentleman had to wait for a long time (20 to 30 minutes or more) before someone showed up. The gentleman ahead of me couldn't check in at all because of some issue with his credit card and because they're not set up to take debit for some strange reason. He had to go across the road to an ATM machine.

In any case, I was able to park about a block and a half away at the Ramada Inn underground parking ($25/day plus tax). The hotel location isn't bad but you should be aware that it's in a bit of a run down area with working girls just steps from the hotel entrance and a provincial courthouse right next door. All told, I would recommend this hotel for anyone not too particular. I spent about $150/night, taxes in, which I found a little steep given the nature of the place. Normally, I stay at the Chelsea just three blocks away for about $25/night more and I think I will continue to do so.

You have to walk at least a couple of blocks to get to a good restaurant.

The last thing I will say is that, when getting back to my room after an all-day meeting, the chambermaid showed up at around 5pm tp make up my room. I had to go away and come back.

All told, this is a reasonable stay for what it is if a tiny bit overpriced. The free breakfast makes up for some of that, though.

Room Tip: I only experienced the bottom floor but I would advise you to try to get a room on a higher level.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Blizzardave
Kumar S, Manager at Comfort Inn City Centre, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Good Day Dave;

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Comfort Inn City Centre , Toronto,Your feedback is very important to us.

At The Comfort Inn City Centre , we strive to provide a superior guest experience, and I am sorry yours did not meet expectations.

Rest assured appropriate measures are being taken to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns and hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Stayed at the Comfort Inn for 2 nights a couple of weeks ago. We were happy with our room which was fairly modern and clean, as was the bathroom. For 3 guests (2 adults + child) we found the room a little small though. Breakfast was fine and included within the room rate although again, the dining area was very small. The hotel Wifi was free and worked with no issue and we found every member of staff very friendly.

In terms of location, the hotel is about 12 mins walk from the Eaton Centre / Dundas subway station, down Jarvis St then across Dundas St. The neighbourhood doesn’t at face value look fantastic but we encountered no problems at all so that should not put you off. It was handy having a grocery store opposite the hotel too. A major downside of the Comfort Inn is that there is no on site car parking. My recommendation is to park down the road, 2 mins walk away opposite the Hilton where you do so for $17 all day and night. The hotel suggest the Ramada but it’s $23 although you get in and out privileges.

Overall and taking everything into account, I’d be happy to stay here and recommend it to others, it's a very good no frills hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid Level 1 which is in the basement. Level 2 is the best.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nellym
Kumar S, Manager at Comfort Inn City Centre, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Good Day Nelly;

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Comfort Inn City Centre.

Your feedback will be shared with the team to serve as recognition and encouragement; as we strive to continuously improve our guest experience.

Thank you again for sharing. We hope your next visit will be even better.

Comfort City Centre
Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Coming to the hotel we were expecting much worse. Rooms were tiny, but clean and comfortable. Bathroom was large with a spacious shower. Breakfast room is super small, maybe for 5 people :-)

I think for a city trip, if you need to accommodate whole family this hotel is just right.

Room Tip: Go for 2nd-3rd floor. 1st floor is a basement. For higher floors rooms you might rather use stairs...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Good Day Sir;

Thank you again for sharing. We hope your next visit will be even better.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed two nights at the Comfort Inn on Jarvis last weekend and got an amazing deal through team buy.ca but were incredibly disappointed to learn upon arrival that our room was in the BASEMENT. That's right…rooms on level "1" are downstairs. I have never experienced this before at a hotel. The room was very tiny and our one (barred) window looked out a "beautiful" brick wall. When I expressed shock at the room's location at check-in, the front desk clerk made no attempt to reassure me or offer another room if that one didn't satisfy us. He just shrugged it off. We were disappointed but because we got the room so cheap through a cheap deal website, we just made due and vowed not to stay there again. I figure selling off cheap rooms through sites like team buy and team deal are how the hotel pawns off their crappy basement rooms.
All in all….it was okay. Good thing we kept ourselves busy and didn't spend much time in the room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kumar S, Manager at Comfort Inn City Centre, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Good Day;

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Comfort Inn City Centre. Your feedback is very important to us.

At Studio 6, we strive to provide a superior guest experience, and I am sorry yours did not meet expectations.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Murdochsroomate
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I booked into this hotel this week as I had to do a business trip on a budget, and this was one of those weeks in Toronto when a lot of the decidedly ordinary rooms are going for upwards of $150.

This one was $10 cheaper than the Holiday Inn, and depending on what the rates are like in Toronto when you're here, I'd say the rooms are anywhere from $10 to $30 less nice.

The reviews here actually paint a pretty good mental picture of the place, and I arrived here feeling like I got exactly what I was expecting. Which is to say, the decor is unusually nice for a budget hotel. But there is plenty of wear and tear to the once-lovely reno: stains on the shower floor, the odd bubble in the bathroom wallpaper, a big gash out of a corner of the wall where a heavy suitcase obviously hit it. And yes, the elevator is painfully slow and creeks a lot, making you wonder if it's just going to plunge to the ground at any minute. Also, be warned: no luggage carts.

Having said that, I would hardly describe this place as a dive. The place is clean and generally attractive. Compared with many 2.5 stars I've seen, it's downright nice. And it's consistent in quality to some three stars I've stayed at in town. Also: free breakfast.

As an $89 or $99 a night hotel, I'd consider it solid value for money. At $140, which is what I paid, it feels like the compromise that it was. But I'd come back here in a pinch. Nothing particularly wrong with the place. You could do much worse.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Kumar S, Manager at Comfort Inn City Centre, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Good Day;

At the Comfort Inn ,we strive to provide a superior guest experience, and I am sorry yours did not meet expectations.

We appreciate your sharing your concerns and hope you will give us an opportunity to better serve you in the near future and want to gain the confidence of business travellers like you.

Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I bought this hotel on a Dealfind to check it out as I visit the city often. It is run by young people, which is fine, and most of the guests are young people with ice buckets in hand. The first room they gave me hadn't been cleaned at all. They immediately gave me another, and it was fine, clean, all in order. I was only there 2 nights and missed breakfast both days because it's held too early, but that's up to the hotel. When I checked out, I was given a bill for the taxes, the usual Dealfind voucher thing. When I get home there are two $100 charges on my VISA. I called and they were for 'incidentals' and somehow, one was a mistake and both would be removed and to call back the next day to speak 'with the accountant'. I called the next day and the girl at the desk was helpful and removed the charges and said it would take 1 to 3 business days. I've already been out of the hotel 2 days and now I need to wait over the weekend and then another 1 to 3 days. The second $100 charge was a 'mistake' I was told, and also, 'the accountant is offsite'. I have just returned from a 3 week trip that took me to 3 provinces and to the United States on business. That I have to deal with this is very annoying to me as there's a huge pile-up of work. I told the girl today that I've stayed at many hotels and many are high-end hotels or mid-range, including the one I had just left to come to the Comfort Inn, and not one had an 'incidentals' charge on my bill. In fact, I've never seen an incidentals charge on my credit card because, presumably, they remove them immediately. The Comfort Inn in Toronto downtown is a good hotel in terms of being relatively clean (I had to wipe crud off the desk myself) and well situated. But do pay attention to your credit card. No one likes to have to deal with things like this after a trip, and it's all so unnecessary. If they are charging cards because of the young clientele ('we charge because there might be damage to the room'), then they should get a handle on older clientele, unless this is just a youth hotel, in which case, advertise it that way.

Room Tip: Pay attention to your credit card after you've checked out.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bellesque
Good Day;

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Comfort Inn City Centre, Toronto. Your feedback is very important to us.

My sincere apologies, we have investigated the matter and have implemented a procedure to minimize the inconvenience to the guests whilst complying with hotel policies.

Rest assured appropriate measures are being taken to prevent future occurrence.