“Friday night after work go to spot” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Friday night after work go to spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

My friend and I come here nearly every Friday after work to have a pint and a bite to eat.

We stumbled across this place on our way to Brownstones or the Artful Dodger, two other Friday night after work favourites, when we spotted the sandwich board special sign.

$5 pints!!! Used to be $4..75 for a pint, and we are talking about Sapporo, Steam Whistle, Creemore Springs and more! They have other great bears for 0.25 cents more.

The menu is quite good and so is the food. The Friday night special is Quesadillas and a 60 oz pitcher for $16.95. Some chicken for the quesadillas is slightly extra.

We have ordered nearly everything on the menu and so far so good. I liked the burger, and for 6.95 it comes with fries.

Service is always good and so far so is everything else.

The washrooms are always stocked and clean..

Since our discovery of Urban House, we have tried one or two other places and wound up back here anyway. The other place were disappointing price wise and taste wise in comparison.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank mmrf57

Ottawa, Canada
“Out of the way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

A group of us were in Toronto for training. We came upon this small cash only café as a result of a search on Urban Spoon, after being soaked $8.50 for a pint of beer at Barvolo.
We came in, looked at the bar menu and decided to stay for dinner. What a treat!!! Not only is the menu eclectic enough to meet every palate, the service was great! We started off with drinks and then came dinner... WOW!! is all I can say, it was reasonably fast, great and tasty food for such low prices. The background music was good too; not too loud... just great to have a conversation with 7 awesome colleagues!

Just remember to bring cash... if you don't, there is an instant cash machine.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank rswendt
Toronto, Canada
“Service improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

So I visited the Urban House Cafe last month and received terrible service by one staff member. The guy that sat me down was nice enough, but the woman was incredibly rude. I visited the Urban House Cafe intending to write a positive review and after taking a few pictures the female staff reprimanded me and made a scene. So I told her how unprofessional she was being and I grabbed my stuff and left before ordering. That is how upset I felt with her inability to handle the situation in a professional manner. And here my plan was to hype them up.

Fast track to last night. See, the Urban House Cafe is located down the street from my apartment and several good friends visit this establishment and they encouraged me to give them another shot. So last night I did.

When we arrived, the patio was pretty full, but the main dining room had several empty tables available. So my friend and I sat ourselves inside and shortly after John, our waiter came over and provided us with menus. So far so good. I perused the menu, and was happy to see the price point. I had been craving nachos so I ordered nachos without onions for $6.95 and we also got the daily special; wings and a pitcher for $15.95. John asked us what kind of beer we wanted and I asked him for recommendations. My friend and I like strong, dark beer, so John recommended the Black Oak Pale Ale and noted that it would cost $1 more. We were okay with that.

We got our nachos in a reasonable amount of time, followed by the wings. A waitress came by to check in on us and asked if we needed anything else, so we told her that we were still waiting for our drinks. She asked us what our drinks were and I was drawing a blank (I had forgotten the name of the beer), so she summoned John over to ask him and he apologized for the oversight. A few minutes later we had everything we had ordered.

Sadly I found the portions to be quite small, so my friend and I decided to order something else. I chose a grilled cheese with sweet potato fries (fries are extra), and John recommended that I get the grilled cheese with bacon. Sold! My friend and I shared the grilled cheese and I would have to say that the grilled cheese and the sweet potato fries were best food items of the night.

I am so relived that this time around we were addressed with respect and the service was a million times better. Sure, there were errors, the portions were small, the nachos needed more toppings, but all in all John and the staff were kind, attentive, relaxed and made us feel welcomed in their establishment. I am definitely coming back.

Visited August 2013
6 Thank Itanni
“Great food, great coffee and great beer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

Yuuuuummmmmy and cheap in a nice and cozy atmosphere with friendly staff. For me definitely the best place in town :)

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Briddaa
Toronto, Canada
“Cheap FGood, Cheap Beer but Good Food and Great Beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

So happy to see a place like this open up in the village. Nothing is over ten bucks...doubles are 5.50...WHAT!?
Breakfast is only 4.95, for real and its great. Lots of food and money left in your pocket. Quite the change from what used to be there, when a burger and fries was nearly 20 bucks. Great patio tucked off Yonge Street! Welcome to neighbourhood, so happy you're here.

• Visited September 2012