“The 'captain' refused to take picture with, a smile finally shown on his face after a big tip ...”
Review of Flightmaster

Flightmaster
Ranked #109 of 145 Fun & Games in Toronto
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Bought a groupon, paid for the higher tier so we can have 4 people play this game , turned out that the 'plane' is really small ,we all thought that it would be at least an enclosed unit with motion like it would shake if the plane turns or crashes ...anyway , walked in , the girl greeted us in a proper manner , but the captain ignored us and avoid eye contact.

So Captain came in , told the kids to claw inside to the seats , with no 'welcome' or is this your first time or any type of introduction , he just gave instructions to the kids and start the computer game , English is hard to understand , not much interactions with the kids on the seats never mind the 2 of us who were supposed to be seating behind them ..(the 'plane' is so small , no way for us to even get in ) so me and my wife just sat outside of the 'plane' and wait....

At the end I asked the Captain to take a picture WITH us , he misunderstood it and took a picture FOR all of us , sure, great idea , then I asked again to take picture WITH him , guess what ? ......he pointed to his wrist (with no watch) and just walked out ! WTF ?

What is worse is that ,fine , if my time was up and the next party was coming in, I would understand , but the Captain was just sitting there the same way when we walked in , relaxed , don't care ... he then showed me the terms and conditions on the groupon that tax and tips are not included , I repeat, he was showing me the text that he highlighted on the paper , implying ' you HAVE to pay me a tip , it is black and white ! '

So I gave the girl a $20 bill , both herself and the Captain were strugging to get me change (not even attempted) as if they are not a business unit at all , so I told them to keep the change , they both all of a sudden lightened up with big smiles etc like you would have expected as soon as you walked in BEFORE the game (and the tips)

Overall , not worth the money , go find something better to do on the weekend.

4  Thank Bestjsg
There are newer reviews for Flightmaster

Reviewed 3 September 2013

With high anticipation but only to find we could not understand the instructor's English. Would suggest the instructor demonstrate how to fly the simulator first before letting us novice take the control.

3  Thank Pansonne
Reviewed 23 June 2013

My family had an awesome time, with about 4 different flying and landing scenarios run during their one-hour "Captain's Flight", although they could have had more if they didn't crash so much! :) Best part of the experience was having the real controls to play with. When I wasn't following their adventures, there was an extensive collection of memorabilia and toys to look at. Their instructor was very helpful and enthusiastic!

Just a few caveats:
1. In the fine print of a Groupon certificate is a notice that taxes and gratuities are extra. This is unfortunate if you are buying the session as a gift, because the participant pays the taxes! Not only did we have to pay cash because their credit card machine was "down", but they didn't have appropriate change.
2. It was very warm in the facility, with no apparent air conditioning. It was about 20C outdoors, but felt like 25-26C indoors. However, the cockpit had some kind of fan in it for the participants, and my family had no further complaints. Note to owner: the heat is not good for the electronics.
3. Be prepared to wait outdoors until your session starts, as the receptionist is also a session operator. I wouldn't want to leave my front office unattended either!
4. As for those gratuities, they don't "expect" them, but then they have a pretty flashy tip tray in the reception area. I have never seen it suggested that tips might be appropriate for most entertainment facilities, however our instructor insisted they are providing a service just like waitresses. I wonder if she ever tipped one of her own instructors? My issues with gratuities could fill a book, so I let it go. To her credit, my protest didn't seem to reduce her enthusiasm and professionalism one iota.

Overall, I would recommend it for the airplane and video game enthusiast.

1  Thank famdamily99
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I had found a voucher for flightmaster on groupon and I have to say that I got a pretty good deal! I paid 50$ for an experience that is worth $135!! I had taken my little brother with me and I have to say that we both loved the experience! We got to sit in and control a professional flight simulator, I decided to let my younger brother have a little more fun and I took the co-pilot seat! We were very excited to be able to sit in a real cockpit and use all the controls without fear of crashing and burning.. haha.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming and you can tell that the flight trainers are real pilots that use their own personal expertise and professionalism to make your experience that much better! I don't know who enjoyed it more... me, a full grown man, or my 8 year old brother!

We are planning to host my brothers birthday party at flightmaster this coming summer. They have a great venue that would accommodate a pretty large crowd and they even have a wing from a real airplane that is set up as a table for your buffet, which I thought was pretty cool.

I would highly recommend this experience and I know Im going back!

1  Thank Alex F
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I purchased a deal voucher for $50. I'm glad I only paid that since the regular price is apparently $135. I don't feel it is worth $135. Myself and my 12 year old son went. It was a bit of fun but I agree with another reviewer that it's nothing above the computer game that my son plays. Sure you have some gadgets to play with here but not enough to make it seem real. The screens are up above your head which made it less realistic to me as well. I guess I was expecting a lot more realism.
We arrived at our appointment time and were immediately ushered into the simulator. We weren't given a tour and nobody approached us to explain or show us their collection of miniature aircrafts. The instructor was friendly but kept grabbing the controls when my son and I were not flying correctly. I felt like we weren't allowed to make mistakes. We had to land correctly every time no matter what. It is just a game after all so I didn't see the point in that. The other reviewer is right in that both the pilot and co-pilot controls do the exact same thing at the same time so essentially only one person is really flying at a time. This didn't really bother me though since I was happy to let my son do most of the flying since I bought the voucher for him to enjoy anyway.
If you use a deal-find voucher (WagJag, or Groupon etc) you DO have to pay the taxes (ours stated so on the voucher so that wasn't a surprise) but we were told AFTER our simulator experience that it's CASH ONLY. I had to run to the bank and come back. They'd be better off telling people that beforehand as a less honest person might not bother coming back!

All in all, it was a bit of fun but I don't think it's anywhere near worth what they charge.

2  Thank MLJE