“Enchanting Experience!”

Shangri-La Hotel Toronto
Ranked #10 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Heard many great things about Shangri-La Toronto and we decided to try it for ourselves. I absolutely blown away by the lively yet elegant facilities of your hotel. Great meal and classical piano during our family gathering high tea made it that much special. I take my hat off to your staff particularly to a young lady named Lynn at the reception. She was absolutely amazing to have been so attentive with our children during our high tea. Our family absolutely blown away by her charming attitude since many high end places that we've visited do not treat children as such poise and grace. Bravo, Shangri-La! Highly recommended for its excellent all-round services!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Laura K
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your review. We are so thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We strive to deliver genuine hospitality from the heart and I am delighted to hear you found Lynn very friendly and helpful during you stay. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back to the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto soon!

Richard Cooke

Write a ReviewReviews (1,272)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Overall attention to details is not exactly Fairmont Gold standards but as a relatively new high-end hotel in downtown Toronto, the Shangri La offers modern comfort and excellent WiFi. The hotel restaurant (Bosk) is excellent (most of the time), and the convenient store across the back street (Simcoe) is indeed convenient and well stocked. There is live music on Friday nights (at least) that is pretty good. A very business style hotel, much better cleanliness than the rather dated Sheraton and Hilton on the other side of University Ave.

Room Tip: Be careful with water running out of the shower stall and making a puddle in the bathroom!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jacksonw166

Dear Jackson,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay at our hotel, in particular, Bosk restaurant and the live entertainment in the Lobby Lounge. We hope to welcome you back to the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto in the near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Let me start by saying I am a hotel snob- and by that, I mean I love staying in luxury hotels with excellent service . We live an hour outside of Toronto and visit the city often for weekend getaways. This was my first time at Shangri-La. We spent a night at the Toronto (4 star) Hilton on Feb 14 (see review) and this 5 star hotel on Feb 15th. They are worlds apart, not a star! We booked through a 3rd party and got a room at the Shangri-La for under 300 which in itself is amazing. From our first step inside the hotel to when we checked out everything was just perfect, and when it wasn't- it was corrected immediately. We arrived at 3pm to find our room was not ready - they comp'ed us drinks in the lobby while we waited. Andrew at the front desk was an absolute delight. He was so attentive and unpretentious. At some 5 star hotels you have a lot of attitude and along with the luxurious surroundings- this hotel is not one of them. Andrew took our bags while we waited and then personally escorted us to our room, when it was ready to let us know how to operate the room sheers/drapes and lighting. He reserved a table for us for the lounge that plays live music. I'm so glad he did because it is not easy to come by a table. The room itself was luxurious, spacious and immaculately clean. The bathrooms were huge. The amenities are l'occtaine- one of my favourite brands. The pool area was a bit noisy as there were many families with young children when we went (and I only thought this because we were spending a couples weekend away from our kids). The staff at the gym and pool area is also very attentive. I wish we had known about the afternoon tea before as they needed a 24 hr notice to accommodate (as we are vegetarian). The spa was unfortunately also booked and we did not get a chance to experience it. All the more reason to return. You must try the "French Connection" cocktail- also one of the best I have ever had. Pricey but it was perfect. Of all the places we have travelled around the world, I have never had a more perfect experience. Congrats to the Shangri-La for getting it just perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shenoy16
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Shenoy16,

Thank you so much for your review. We are so delighted to hear that your stay at the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto has exceeded your expectations and we will be sure to forward your comments to Andrew from Front Desk. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed our spacious rooms, our L’Occitane amenities and our 'French Connection' cocktail; that cocktail is rather good ! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future, to perhaps enjoy our afternoon tea.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Big room and bathroom, iPad controlled lighting/curtains, pool/gym is fabulous. Probably the best hotel I've stayed at so far. Excellent customer service. would definitely return. Excellent location for business

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear Mahlow,

Thank you for your comments! We are so delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay in one of our spacious guest rooms and enjoyed our Health Club facility. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Yes, we had to meet up with Canadian family and plowed north through the snow from Manhattan to Toronto, via NOTL. We have always stayed at the Windsor Arms, but wanted to try something different, and we are glad we did. A mini suite worked well for us, husband and wife in one room and two kids in the second connecting room. We all loved the vibe of the hotel, from the sleek, modern decor, the doormen rushing to valet your car as if you'd really just driven to LA not frozen Toronto. Except, here there is no attitude, no endless LA tipping, just smiling faces and genuine concern for our well being. The in-room coffee and tea amenities are fantastic.

The lobby is an oasis in the morning, sit by the perpetual fireplace and relax with the paper and steaming coffee. As the day progresses the lobby cranks up. By tea time it's bustling with a truly lavish tea spread. Be sure and reserve! Very popular.
The reason I rate this hotel so highly is because every time something went wrong, they fixed it.
The concierge was patient and positive. No room for tea because we didn't know to reserve?
A slight complaint his way, and viola! a call to our room that of course we could have tea.
Another complaint his way when I couldn't eat early with my teenagers at the insanely popular Momofuko Noodle Bar next door...and yes, viola! we were in.
Much appreciated.
The other best part? We three escaped a sick husband and literally wanted to live on the pool floor, with our own cabana, tv, towels, cold beverages, heated pool, sauna, you name it!
High end service here with just the right touch.
I personally cannot believe that this staff is from Toronto. I think they flew them all in from one of their other hotels in Asia! That good.

Room Tip: My main tip is to reserve spa treatments, tea time, and restaurants ahead if you can. Many locals co...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BoysieW

Dear BoysieW,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are so delighted to hear you and your family had a wonderful stay at the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto. We strive to provide genuine, sincere service from the moment you walk into our hotel and we are so happy to see you were able to enjoy the facilities and services we had to offer. We also believe in making our guests feel like they are part of our family by showing our core values of sincerity and genuine hospitality and we are so pleased to know that our staff made you feel welcomed at the Shangri-La hotel, Toronto. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Toronto.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

The Shangri La is, in my opinion, hands down the best hotel in Toronto. To quote Eloise - I just love, love, love the Shangri La.

I own a travel PR firm and have travelled for a living for many years, staying in luxury hotels around the world. Here are the reasons I love this hotel:

1. The doormen are super professional and friendly, and always have a kind word for me even when they are busy or the weather is bad. They remember my name and always have a smile for their guests.

2. The lobby is lively and social, with great lighting. The fireplaces make it warm and welcoming, in the manner of great hotel lobbies in great cities. Some times I sit and have tea just to enjoy the lobby, and I always use it to host clients when they are in town. The windows show the streetscape of University Avenue and make the space feel airy and light.

3. The Shangri La has the best hotel pool in the city, a divine, beautifully lit salt water pool with natural light, an infrared sauna and hot tub beside it. On cold winter days, coming to this pool is like a staycation that clears out the cobwebs. The gym has great equipment and again, the large windows make it feel so open and bright you are motivated to work out!

4. The food at Bosc is healthy and delicious with quick, unfussy service. The bar is also a great place to occasionally enjoy a beer after I work out and clearly deserve a cocktail.

5. The Presidential Suite is a great place to hold a reception and all of my clients enjoy the rooms, particularly the multiple international plugs.

There are lots of hotels in Toronto, and yet this one is my home away from home, in my very own city. I would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to even the most discerning guest.

Ann Layton

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ann L
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Ann,

Thank you so much for all your comments. We are so delighted to hear that our hotel services and facilities have exceeded your expectations! Thank you for selecting us as your number one choice of hotels in Toronto. From your home away from home, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hotel was extremely nice and elegant! The room exceeded my expectations with the TV in the bathroom mirror and room controls managed by an ipad.

Located in a great part of Toronto with welcoming evening music to unwind from a long work day.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Richard C, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for your comments. We are so delighted to hear that our guest rooms have exceeded your expectations, in particular our technology such as the iPad. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel very soon.