“Bedbugs, worst experience of my life”
Review of Mina's Guesthouse

Mina's Guesthouse
Ranked #43 of 118 Toronto B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This was the worst stay of my life. In November 2012 I had booked several nights here. After four days I finally realized what the strange rash was that I kept getting, my first encounter with bed bugs. They were everywhere in the mattress.

What was even worse was the landlord's reaction. He accused me of having brought them, told me he would not reimburse me for what I had paid up front, and so on. He didn't sound surprised, so I assume he has had this problem several times. He also would only do something the next day, since he didn't want to drive in all the way.

So I was forced to move out. I later received a partial refund, the landlord talking about me having damaged the TV, which I didn't even turn on once. I contact the Ontario Landlord and Tenant board, but it did not fall in their responsibility because of the short term rental nature.

I had to clean my laundry several times, keep everything quarantined in plastic bags. I did manage to not spread the pest, this is the only thing good about the whole stay.

I can safely say this was, by far, the most unpleasant experience I have ever had.

(In case you do not care about bed bugs, here is something that did not bother me but might bother others, in particular women: the house is in a very sketchy area, with a homeless shelter right across the street.)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Christoph51423
Arya Akbari N, Manager at Mina's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Hi,

When I saw this review I was shocked because we never had any bedbugs problem so I thought it might be one of our competitors,but after seeing the date he stayed with us I remember him.that was in Nov 2012 and he is remembering to right a review one year later in Sep 2013.
This man was ask to leave because he came to our guesthouse drunk midnight and start disturbing other guest by banging on other guest's door I was informed in the morning and I check the security camera in second floor hallway and we asked him to leave immediately even his room which was room 6 has private walk out balcony we found cigarette buds and alcohol empty bottles in the room, he was smoking in the room by removing smoke alarm detector's battery.
As evidence in our terms and condition which is posted in our website our condition is if no show of cancel before arrival no refund on your deposit and also if you have reserve a room for two weeks and after arrival you can shorten your stay but after paid your balance you are obligated to stay for two weeks after left earlier there will not be any refund.
In his case because we asked him to leave I deducted few days he stayed and refund him remaining of his money even though we found TV broken, cable connection screw was yanked out .
From Nov 2012 till now we have 18 reviews 16 positive and 1 not too good but anyways i'm sure if we had bedbugs problem some one will come back any write a review right away .
There I'm asking investigation and removal of this review right away.

Arya A.Niggeh

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed here for two weeks and have to say I had a very enjoyable stay. The Ritz it is not but for the money I had to pay versus the proximity to the centre of downtown it was great. The area is a bit "special" but as long as you are sensible and safe nobody annoys you. The house is very secure and it is so quiet. I'd stay here again in a second.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Arya Akbari N, Manager at Mina's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Hi

Thank you for your clear and honest review. You effort to write such valuable review will help us to grow and helps our future guest to make decision wether this is a right for them or not.

I'm looking forward to see you soon.

Regards

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Everything was fine and very nice environment with other guest staying in the guest house. I like the nice kitchen and the park close to the guest house, nice place for jogging :-)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Hello !

I don't know how to appreciate our guest who take their time to leave such nice reviews ! but I'm sure other review help them to make decision and they are trying to be helpful to our future guest as well.
Thank you Hear Hengameh to choose our guest house for second time,I'm looking forward to host and serve you soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

We just about walked out after walking in and seeing our room. The place is very run down, and at first glance, appears to be the kind of place that might have insects or vermin. After checking a bit more thoroughly we decided to try it for one night and see how it went.
Well, the place IS clean and the other guests ARE quiet - with the exception of one pair who had quite a group take over the kitchen one night. There were no bugs or anything such, and seeing as how we had no intention of doing much more than sleeping, we decided to stay. Also decided to forego use of the kitchen because I don't know who says it is clean, but obviously standards differ because I wouldn't call it clean for a personal residence, let alone a paid accommodation although we did see a woman there cleaning at least twice during our week long stay. I think she was in daily, or every second day.
We were in a basement room and everytime someone ran water on the street level floor, it sounded like it was running right in the room. Same with footsteps. In fact, sawdust or something fell from the ceiling onto the dresser daily. Very poorly done repairs, evident they are trying to save a buck everywhere they can, such as piecing together trim rather than using one continuous piece. Cover missing on an outlet right at the head of the bed. I'll post a few pics of some of the worse, so you aren't under any delusions like I was when I booked. Kitchen supplies were very tired looking for the most part. Perhaps garage sale items?
In spite of all this, if you are looking for a bare bones place to sleep, where you can heat up simple meals, this fits the bill. Beds were comfortable and bedding was clean. Security system was excellent,which is good because the neighbourhood is very colourful and varied; hookers, druggies, also yuppy types and students. Appears to be kitty corner to church with an outreach program, so it really attracts interesting types.
Public transportation is right outside and runs very frequently, close enough to down town to walk, convenience store directly across the street. NOT a place for families or single young women if you will be outside after dark.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank CanadianRoadRunner3
Arya Akbari N, Manager at Mina's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Hi

We appreciate your honest review on our guest house.there are couple points I would like you to consider when you are writing reveiw. First of all we have shelter around corner and poors come there to get meal,next time around if you are coming Toronto make sure you remind us to destroy it so you would not see poor and homeless. Second this poor may ask you for money or smoke but never attend to hold you u so area is niether most prestij nor dangerous, to just remind you this house has been guesthouse for past 25 years, third did you see any thing happend to any one while you were here or if you we're out midnight and you got disturbed by some one? also you forgot to mention how much you have paid for your stay in downtown Toronto.
Room 10 is our cheapest room in the house which goes for $855/ month and please add this to your review and as tip next time if you want to get a first class room just increase your budget to $250/ night and stay in Crawn Hotel around the corner of Jarvis and Dundas which is three minut walk to our guesthouse. Just let you know with money you spent you could not even stay in back packer share room with 4 others for $40/night. I saw your profile and you travel all the time and you sure know how quality and price works before you make review and make commend like that tell others what kind of service did you get for the money you paid then you know what other reviewers talking about.
I hope next time you are here in Toronto you come and check out our other rooms and hopefully they will be more satisfying to you!
Our business depends on our guest satisfaction and we are trying in any way to earn it.
Our warmest regards on behalf of Mina's Guesthouse staff

Management

Reviewed 5 April 2013

Stayed at Mina's for 2 weeks; would stay there again; good value for money; happy to recommend it. Fully equipped kitchen. About a 10 minute walk to the subway, but you can grab a streetcar from corner 30m from front door. Small store across the street. Very convenient.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Arya Akbari N, Owner at Mina's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

Hi

Thank you for taking your time and writing review. I'm really glad we could provide a satisfactory service and comfirtable stay for you.
I'm looking forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

I have to say Mina's guest house feels very much like home. actually home away from home. staff members are very friendly location is great. If you have family or couple looking for extend stay I do recommend North York. A. clean B. very convenient for anything you would need.C.Owner is very nice and there is no if or may be just simple yes. of course I will come back only if I can make reservation usually they are busy. " just like you had long day from your work and come home"
Alex -Uni from New York

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Hi

We are greatfull for your useful and nice review. We are looking forward to serve you again any time soon.

Regards

Reviewed 30 January 2013

Hi! I lived for many nights and this house become the real home for me. House looks very nice, rooms are renovated, absolute clear. Furniture brand new. Loudry included. And for sure in this very popular place you can't find as clean and nice home for that resonable price. By the way landlord nice gay ;).

Room Tip: in house Young&Sheppard best choise is room #1