“Best hamburger in Toronto” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Station

Richmond Station
Ranked #4 of 8,405 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, International, European, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown West
Description: Richmond Station is a stopping place, a bustling neighbourhood restaurant in the downtown core. We are committed to delicious food and excellent hospitality.
Miami Beach, Florida
“Best hamburger in Toronto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I think that one of the chefs worked in a Daniel Boulud restaurant in NY and learned how to make a great burger. I've had the original twice at DB in NY. This is just as good sans the fois gras.
The PEI oysters that we had to start were excellent. We accompanied the food with a very decent Tempranillo. This Is my forth visit, and all were most enjoyable. Book early. It's a very busy place.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
“Chef's Table is fun for the single traveler”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Initially, I happened upon this restaurant by identifying it was close to my hotel (It's in the heart of downtown Toronto) and the reviews made me want to try it out. From the front the restaurant is very unassuming so keep an eye out or you could potentially walk right past it!

Like other reviewers I highly recommend calling ahead for a reservation. Because I was a single traveler they were able to squeeze me in at the Chef's Table the same night. The Chef's table is actually a long bar that sits in front of an open window to the kitchen. It was a great way to go out solo as the kitchen was it's own entertainment.

The service was top notch and the waiter made a great recommendation on choice of wine recommending the red blend which was one of the cheaper by the glass and quite good.

I ended up ordering off the "pantry" menu rather than the daily specials but I would highly recommend always taking a look as they looked delicious.

For dinner I ordered the fennel and potato pierogies which I really enjoyed. I wanted them to have a bit more potato filling but the horseradish beet sauce they were served with was the surprise hit for me! The greens that were served with the dish were slightly too bitter for my taste but this is more a personal preference and as long as I didn't take too much they paired nicely with the heaviness of the potato filled dumplings. The serving size was very reasonable, enough food to leave a little room for dessert or fill you up.

Based on reviews I decided to also go for dessert. Normally, I don't do dessert in restaurants since I am typically disappointed but that was not the result here! I got the "apple crumble" which was actually more a deconstructed apple crumble with half a poached apple, crumbled spice cake, toasted gingersnap and walnut bits served with a wormwood ice cream. I was skeptical of the wormwood ice cream but the wormwood actually gave it a great quality tasting a bit less sweet and more nutty then a traditional vanilla ice cream. I would absolutely go back just for dessert.

Total bill for the evening included a glass of wine, entrée, dessert, & coffee and came to $50; very reasonable for an evening out at a delicious restaurant.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Katie H
Canada
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews for this place and decided that I would make a reso for my friend and I. FYI- this place is small so make a reso as far in advance as you can. I tried and couldn't get anything online so I called the restaurant- they were able to squeeze me in at 5pm on Friday. Little early but I took it!

Our server was great and gave us a lot of suggestions. We decided to share a starter- the pecorino fresco (like goat cheese) which was fantastic. For the mains we shared the peorgies and the jerk chicken. The peorgies were tasty and had a beet purée. The jerk chicken was just alright- it wasn't spicy at all and it was a little tough. I've had better.

For dessert, we shared the chocolate cheesecake with cranberry purée. It was excellent. So was the wine we had. We each had the daily specials- my red was so good I called back to get the name.

While the mains were just alright, there were other things on the menu that I want to try. The bill for 2 people (one starter, 2 mains, 3 glasses of wine and dessert) came to $111 plus taxes. I think that's pretty reasonable. I would definitely return.

“Make reservation before you go”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I visited Richmond Station on a trip to Toronto. It wasn't in my planned visit places. I was glad that we stopped by. We didn't have reservation, arrived and had to wait for the seats at the bar. Yes, their regular tables were all booked for lunch, the only ones that's opened were at the bar. We ordered couple appetizers while waiting at the standing table. They even gave us a free order of their famous polenta. Even though we had to wait about 40 mins to finally get our bar seats, it was well worth the wait. We ordered 2 prix menu, couple more appetizers, and a lunch portion of quinoa salad for the 4 of us. They were very tasty and the ingredients were very fresh. My friend's duck was melting in the mouth according to him. I had Korean BBQ sandwich. It's basically pulled pork sandwich with Asian pickled cucumber and cilantro. I liked the combination very much. If you have time to visit and want to try something different, definitely give this place a try.

• Visited October 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Amazing food and service in a casual, relaxed setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

The beauty of Richmond Station is the very casual, hip feel without any attitude or stuffiness. It was one of the best dining experiences I have enjoyed in the last couple of years. The wait staff is outstanding with a strong knowledge of both their food and wine. The menu is eclectic but understandable. The oysters (from New Brunswick) where amazing and their signature burger was top notch. The crowd on a Friday evening was mostly late 20's - mid 40's and is a great place for couples. I would recommend reservations, although I was lucky, as i was a walk in and only had a short wait.