“This is now called Smoke Bourbon bar-b-q house”
Review of Smoke BBQ House

Smoke BBQ House
Ranked #4,694 of 8,645 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Barbecue
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Toronto, Canada
“This is now called Smoke Bourbon bar-b-q house”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Nice little place with very good bbq. My dinner companion and I had the tasting plate for 2.
Choice of 3 mains -we had pulled pork, ribs and Texas brisket along with choice of 2 sides - mac and cheese and collard greens. Nicely smoked and sauced meats and excellent collards. Large portions, you will not leave hungry. 3 good beers on tap as well as a good selection of Ontario craft beers in bottles. My companion had the Bourbon Caesar with bourbon substituted for the vodka and dressed with a skewer of smoked bacon and a pickle - fun and delicious.
Very friendly and attentive service from charming young waitress.
Worth a visit if you're in the area.

• Visited February 2014

Toronto
“Texas-sized portions”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We came here as a party of three with reservations. The smell of the BBQ smoked impregnated everything--which was to me a great sign of what was to come! The orders were: pulled pork dinner plate, baby back ribs, and corned beef brisket. We all had collard greens (which come sauteed with onions and bacon) as a side, and a combination of mac and cheese, baked beans, and coleslaw salad. One thing can be said about all the orders: any of these main plates with the two sides should be enough to feed two hungry adults. We all tasted everything and for me the grand winner was the pulled pork (the baby back ribs were a close second). The pulled pork was swimming in this tangy bbq sauce. It was delicious. The sides were all OK - the coleslaw was too vinegary for my liking. Another thing worth mentioning - the mixed drinks were pretty substandard, and the bourbon drinks, contrary to the food servings, seemed very short in the glass. Maybe it was just a question of perspective vis a vis the food in front of us.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank canch06
toronto
“BBQ Party”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Choose this as a catering option for a weekday bbq party. Food is well done, but hte portions we got were vastly different (One small bowl of coleslaw vs a vat of baked beans). Sauces for the ribs make this worth a try. and the corn bread was really tasty. Excellent price.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank cantstoptravelling28
toronto
“Maybe with time and more experience will improve”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We looked forward to having barbecue at the newest BBQ restaurant to open in Toronto. It was a soft opening so we did expect there might be some difficulties. Were we right?! We were warmly welcomed and quickly seated. I had not expected to be seated on individual benches with no back. Just what I needed for my chronic back problem. Also, there were coat hooks on the wall quite a distance from the table which I could not watch during the meal. So with no back to the seat and a jacket full of keys, a phone and my Garmin, I was forced to lay my coat down on the floor. It is a simple one page menu with such small print that I was unable to read the menu by the light of the candle on the table. I had to use my Garrity LED flashlight and even with this the menu was still hard to read.
Are you licensed, I asked. Yes we have beer and wine. We have… (no beer and wine menu available). We ordered beer and a glass of wine. Unfortunately after the fourth beer was mentioned, I couldn't remember what the first one was.
We ordered Baby Back Ribs $25 and the "Sampler for 1" $19 (with Texas Style Brisket and Pulled Pork). Each entrée came with two sides. We ordered Mac 'n' Cheese, Coleslaw, Baked Beans and Sweet Potato Fries. As individual side orders are $3.50 a piece, we expected the sides to be sizeable and unusual.
I found the ribs a bit too dry and with very little smoke. The bark was tough and the ribs were a solid slab and were not cut through into separate ribs. I like my food to arrive 'hot' at the table. Like other BBQ places in Toronto, the Baby Back Ribs were warm not hot when placed on the table. The Texas style Brisket was not cut across the grain and was extremely fatty. Not at all what I expected.
It wasn't our night because I found fault with all of the sides. They were hot when brought to the table, but I had problems with each. The baked beans might just as well have come out of a can of Heinz beans. Southern Style baked beans have bacon and chunks of pork or brisket in it and have a kick from Worcestershire sauce, mustard and/or hot sauce. The dressing on the coleslaw quite vinegary and could have used mayonnaise, dijon or plain mustard to give it some flavour other than vinegar. Even their mayo/sesame seed sauce would have been better. I could not taste the Sweet Potato in the Sweet Potato Fries and the red and white checkered paper used to line the container meant that there was very little room for the dozen or so pieces. The less said about the Mac 'n' Cheese, the better. I enjoyed old fashioned KD from a box better.
To add insult to injury the "Sample for 1" was charged on the bill at $20 and not the $19 shown on the menu. When pointed out, it took 15 minutes back and forth without resolution because their "iPad using TouchBistro" would not communicate with their printer. My last problem was trying to walk down the four steps to the street without a handrail.
It takes years, many, many years to become a pit boss and master the smoking ribs, pork and brisket. It isn't something you learn in a few days or weeks. Executive Chef Tony Gallippi is a "Master smoker” which is a certification bestowed by Cookshack, a barbecue manufacturer based in Oklahoma. To earn the certificate, participants undertake a three-day course that teaches the fundamentals of barbecuing with smoke. He may know the fundamentals but he needs a number oif years to master the intricacies.
We might be persuaded to return but only after The Stockyards are closed and we can no longer make the long trek to Whitby and Oshawa for our BBQ.

• Visited December 2012