“A Great British Pub in the Heart of Toronto!”
Review of Duke of Richmond

Duke of Richmond
Ranked #1,140 of 8,643 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Whitby, Canada
“A Great British Pub in the Heart of Toronto!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We first happened upon The Duke of Richmond last Summer when we stayed in Toronto while my family were visiting from Glasgow. My Glasgow Family were staying down the street at The Sheraton and we decided to get a room in The Sheraton as well and spend time with them together in Toronto.

In preparation for their visit I had researched various "Best British Pubs in Toronto" lists and I have to admit that The Duke of Richmond did not land on any of them. We happened to discover The Duke of Richmond quite accidentaly just through the proximity of the Pub to The Sheraton Hotel... And thank ye gods for that! This Pub is great!

I find the staff at The Duke to be very service oriented. Upon entering the pub you'll find that you are always greeted quite warmly by a member of the staff (ether a hostess, a manager, or someone behind the bar). The food is very tasty (I'm quite fond of their chicken curry) and they have a delighful selection of pints on tap (both domestic, imported, and craft brew).

Since our initial discovery last Summer, my wife and I have taken our kids back to this Pub on a few recent occasion through the winter. The four of us are massive Liverpool FC supporters and we love to go into the pub on a Sunday morning and watch the match whilst enjoying a late breaky or early lunch when the weekend game kicks off at 11:00am.

I have discovered that the staff are definitely NOT Footie oriented but they are always very accomodating when we walk in at 11:00am and ask them to put on the Liverpool FC match.

I have to say that the atmosphere of this nice little pub, combined with a pint or two of Guinness, and LFC on the telly have made for some very memorable Sunday mornings over the past few months. Definitely check out this Pub if you happen to be in the area!!

• Visited March 2014

Lund, Sweden
“Service minded”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great beer and great food at a reasonable cost considering the location being so central. What really stands out was the great atmosphere and service.

• Visited November 2013
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Warm Welcoming Atmosphere but slow when crowded”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stopped in at the Duke on the Sunday of the big Scotiabank running competition in October. The staff were exceptionally welcoming and accommodating. Very hard to find people that polite in restaurants these days. Five stars for that alone. Unfortunately, many of the families of the runners were there too so the place was probably 3/4 full. We were very hungry after a few hours of walking and ordered beer and sweet potato fries to get started. The beer took too much time to get to us and the small amount of fries (order 2 if you're hungry) took a looong time. I ordered the Bombay Chicken Curry which stated on the menu that it came with vegetables. After waiting close to an hour for it (with apologies from the friendly waiters towards the end) it came with a few pieces of white potato in the curry and a giant bed of white rice. Vegetables? Nope. Yes, it tasted fine - but this is a mistake that restaurants make all the time. Do Not list vegetables unless you're serious about it! My husband had a good Shish-kebob dish and was satisfied. Other items on the menu looked good. I'm not sure if they were just not prepared for the crowd on a Sunday (? big race downtown; well-known resto) or if this is all normal.

We both did find it to be a very cozy and fun place to hang out. Just be prepared to spend time there and do order something else from the menu.

• Visited October 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Great value”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Food excellent, good selection and very tasty,good presentation , service was quite good but then the place was packed at lunchtime, will definitely go back

• Visited August 2013
Ottawa, ON, Canada
“Great food, awesome staff. Superb pub experience.”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

August 31, 2013. My husband, six year old son and I had dinner at the Duke of Richmond while visiting Toronto over Labor Day weekend. We were in Toronto to move our daughter into residence at U of T. We've enjoyed this pub before, but we appreciated our experience tonight so much that we felt compelled to recognize it publicly.

The Butter Chicken and Black and Blue Salad we ordered were absolutely delicious and perfectly reflected our custom requests. We were able to confidently order a meal for our son, who has a life-threatening allergy to peanut, because our server immediately understood that she'd need to communicate this to the cook. Each item on his plate was assessed for his safety, and kitchen staff followed procedures to ensure there was no cross-contamination with peanut protein.

Prices were excellent for good pub grub in downtown TO.

But this review is not just about the awesome pub food or attentiveness to food allergies. It's about two people who made a great meal a memorable experience.

The uber personable manager working tonight was Mark, and our delightful server was Jenna. Granted, it was a fairly quiet night for this often busy pub, but these two folks were a total blast.

From the moment we walked in, Jenna engaged my son and my husband and I. She was warm, friendly and had an awesome sense of humour. Quick, witty and fun. The woman was not only a riot, but also an attentive and skilled server. She made us feel right at home.

When there was a typical downtown pub issue (fire alarm in the adjacent building), Mark made a point of coming by, noticed my son's discomfort and did a great job explaining the situation to him in a way that would set his mind at ease. He then offered to take all our food out to the patio where the automated announcement was not as loud. We had a great conversation with him about my daughter's move to Toronto for university and his own experiences travelling and learning and growing.

I've always believed that, when dining out, the food has to be good, but it's the people who really make a great experience. The Duke of Richmond had both nailed tonight. Thanks, Mark and Jenna. We'll be back soon!

• Visited August 2013