The Clarence Park
  • Breakfast included
Templar Hotel(Toronto)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewscommon areascn towerboutique hostelsecure placelarge kitchencommon roomother guestssheets and towelsdorm roomloud noisesuper closedecent sizewould stay here againfantastic locationlate at nightthe ground floorunion station
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I can tell you that the owner was selfish like most of the German guests there.
I told him I stayed there 3 weeks and always paid on time and kept clean the place and I was cleaning the mess of the guests in the kitchen almost every day. Sometimes the cleaning staffs know the kitchen is messy and they stay sit in the living room watching TV….
I sent an email. I got a reply like what they did not found anything and the owner said in 9 years they never been stolen. It is a lie. Somebody investigated for me and they find out that Clarence Park Hostel have been stolen several times. He seems to not care that my bag of shoes that contain a Samsonite iron and 2 pairs of flip flop and my Adidas shoes blue and black brand new was missing. They know that my entire luggage including my laptop has been stolen at Hong Kong airport in last august and I just bought new clothes and shoes. So I was pretty upset that he did not care of my situation. He knows I was not rich.
I sent him a formal notice saying I will wait 7 days his reply. He did not replied. In fact he ignored most of my emails. I sent a final formal notice to ask him to retrieve my shoes and iron or refund me 200$ CDN. He never replied.
One time I asked him to open the locker door to pick up my thing for the check out. He said hold on. He went up stair do something then came back to his computer and saw me coming back and then did not came to open the locket. Instead he was watching a video! I think he has a complex of inferiority and he was waiting that the customer (ME) ask him like a dog to open the door please!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny! Sometimes he watch video on his computer with speaker very loud that we cannot ear the TV in the living room that is next to the front desk! Instead to use headphone to not disturb the guest. He is too selfish and act like if he was our boss and we was the staff!
It is only when I treated him of liar and low class and that now he gonna lose me as customer that he finally sent me that last email below:

Email wrote by Danny Zern Owner: We have no idea were the items that you are claiming to be missing. It was explained to you many times. his will be the last email that will be sent to you regarding this matter. We have considered it closed. As far as the harassing and vulgar content that you have written in this email, we will have no choice but to bare you from returning to our hostel. Any attempt to make a booking will result in a lose of your deposit to your booking agent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank nick2000_10
Reviewed 16 November 2013

A group of seven stayed in a shared female dorm that had a clean bathroom in room. Although the room was quite dark and only one power point worked. Large kitchen and helpful staff. The hostel is in a great location close to queen west cool stuff. Unfortunately there seemed to be a large party/drinking groups out the front most nights. The kitchen got trashed one of those nights and was then closed the next morning, due to broken glass. Reopened once it had been cleaned. Despite this we would stay there again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013

A friend and I booked the Clarence Park on the basis of good reviews about the location and from the look of the website. We were very disappointed when we checked into our room. Our room was in block ten, and the security was terrible. The initial door to the block had a hole in it so anyone could walk in, then the door where you enter the security code doesn't shut fully behind you, so if people don't properly close it behind them, it stays open to anyone. Our room was situated near this door and only required a key to open it, with no further locking system so we didn't feel very safe (maybe this was our paranoia but most places do have an extra chain or lock for the door in this day and age). The room was tiny (we thought initially that this was a product of us having been spoilt in the size of our previous room in Montreal at a B&B), but when we looked around, the room was dirty and it was freezing. We couldn't figure out the heating system and there was a big door to a fire escape within the room which let the cold in. The bathroom was ok but the towels had marks on them. The bed - oh, the bed. It was uncomfortably lumpy, but more importantly, the duvet had no cover and didn't look clean. The fact that it had no cover meant that anyone could have slept on it and you don't know whether it has been washed after a previous guest. The bed sheets had holes in them - we requested another from reception but that had holes in it, too. Having stayed in the room for a short while, and finding ourselves thoroughly depressed, my friend and I decided to try and get a refund and find another hotel to stay in. I would like to stress that we aren't particularly high-maintenance girls, but we just couldn't have stayed the night in that bed. In Clarence Park's defence, they were very quick to allow us to have a refund which made things a lot easier. We stayed at the Eaton Chelsea instead. If you're used to 'roughing it' and aren't that fussed about the points I set out above, then go for it, but I think that you can find hotels which are slightly more money but which have just as good locations and you don't have to worry about cleanliness and security of the room.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The Clarence Park was fantastic! Stayed there as another friend of mine had recommended it. The staff were really lovely and showed me how to get to all the hot spots of Toronto! The place itself is a little treasure, a fantastic location 20 minutes walking distance to all the main attractions of the city, with a bottle shop and food store just around the corner! The rooms themselves were cleaned daily (lovely housekeeper!) and the general feel of the place was great. The Clarence Park also has a great kitchen, TV room and rooftop terrace which has great views of the tower at night!

A great place and for the price I couldn't have asked for more!!

Room Tip: The mixed dorms with curtains around the bed are great for a bit of privacy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheBlondeNomad
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was very disappointed with this place. They double charged me (I had paid a previous deposit and they did not recognize it when I arrived to the Hotel). On my confirmation they said they accepted credit card and when I arrived they said they only accept debit, cash or travel check
The bed was extremely noisy and there was a lot of garbage behind the bed from previous guests.

Room Tip: I would go to a different place