“We'll be back”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Headed out on a Saturday night wanting to spend $ at local place serving interesting food. We decided upon eating here and were not disappointed.

All of our dishes were great. The pastry (around some delish cheesy bacon concontion) was flaky and fresh. Dumplings were squishy and loaded with flavour, schnitzel was crispy and not too oily. The special that night was mild curry sausage in pastry which I would normally not want but I tried some and it was amazing. Vegetables were cooked perfectly which is a minor detail except for fact so many other places overcook their veggies.

Delicious german and canadian beer on tap and in bottles. They have wine too.

We had a nice time, the food and drink was lovely, atmosphere was fun but chilled, so we will return. The only drawback was the waiter, he was not terrible but I assume he was having an off night or tired. No details required as it was nothing bad, he just not up to par compared to the food.

1  Thank Yorweerd
There are newer reviews for Das Gasthaus

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stopped in recently at Das Gasthaus in the hope of some comfort food (I'm German). Atmosphere is local pub - more Kneipe than Gasthaus - with a few tables around sizeable bar. A nice selection of German draft beers, plus a few local craft beers - a really nice touch since many German beer styles are fairly mild. I tried the Hopf Weissen, which was fresh and tasty. Menu was short and typical in price for the area - except that all the side-dishes were a la carte, which raised the true price to above average. I tried the pork Schnitzel with roasted potatoes as the side. Presentation was pretty, but the dishes themselves were bland at best. Schnitzel was very dry and the breading flavourless (fresh lemon can help with this, but the paper thin lemon slice was too small to produce juice). Under the Schnitzel were brussel sprouts (good) and a few thin slivers of red cabbage - the latter seemingly unseasoned as well. Roast potatoes were well prepared, but also apparently unseasoned and needed salt. Service was friendly, but overall an underwhelming experience. I know that my principal complaint here is blandness - something that is often said of traditional German cuisine - but I've been enjoying German food my whole life, and disagree. Start by getting the fundamentals right, and it can be (and is) a delight. Will give this place another try down the road in the hopes that it was an off night. Toronto could really use a good German restaurant.

2  Thank KLoveToronto
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The addition of a German restaurant near the centre of Toronto sounded very good, so this evening we tried it out with some friends. On the positive side: although the menu is very short, the dishes we tried were interestingly prepared and very good: imaginative cauliflower soup, good salads, tasty flatbread with toppings, nice schnitzels. There was only one dessert, an apple crumble, and it was also very good. On the downside: the service was offhand and almost glacially slow. Perhaps the kitchen needs more staff? The decor is idiosyncratic and rather weird: a very conspicuous air duct side by side with chandeliers; drawings on the wall that conjure up nothing German. Furthermore, pop music is played a good deal too loudly. A shrieking baby two tables over did not enhance our dining experience. This could become an interesting place, and we'll try it again a few months from now. At this time it's not worth a special trip.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

While visiting Toronto I had heard this place just opened and was very excited to try it out. The decor is very whimsical - the framed works of anatomical sketches were a tad creepy, but funky too.

I sopped in for lunch and had a platter of meats, cheese, and pickled things - it was divine. Pickled caper berries (?!) were delicious and unlike anything I've ever eaten before. Vast selection of beers on tap, but this is a popular spot, so you must go before the kegs run dry!

Spatzle was delectable!

Next time I'm in Toronto I will be going back to try dinner!

A must try!

2  Thank drool-factor
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Tonight we visited the recently-opened Das Gasthaus located on Danforth Avenue east of Broadview. In what is typically described as "Greektown," this is a breath of fresh air offering northern German "contemporary" cuisine.

My mother is German, so she certainly was familiar with the dishes on the menu. Slight dialect and spelling differences yielded things like tonights' special "Roulade" which we call "Rouladen." But it was made in the traditional way including the pickle, mustard and bacon. It was almost as good as my mother's version which is a major compliment.

We loved the casual atmosphere—nothing pretentious or snooty here.

Unsure of the size of the portions, we did not order appetizers but were presented with sourdough bread and an outrageously good red beet butter!

My mom and I both had the Roulade while my wife opted for the schnitzel. The dishes were fantastic and we also had a size dish of späetzle which had thyme and I think nutmeg in it which was better than anything we have made from scratch at home.

The portions were just the right size so there was no need for dessert.

Early reviews from others were mixed due to opening growing pains which have all been addressed.

We will definitely be back and also explore their lunch offerings.

3  Thank BigPete436