“The little hotel that could.”
Review of The Beverley Hotel

The Beverley Hotel
Ranked #73 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Gatineau, Canada
“The little hotel that could.”
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Checked in on a Sunday night quite late, due to my flight being delayed. When I arrived, the doors were locked and there is no intercom at the entrance..fortunately I had my cell and called the hotel so that I could be let in.

Checkin was smooth and I was in my room in minutes. There was a thoughtfully handwritten note of welcome greeting me in my room, a nic personal touch. My original reservation said that the room would not have a window. I was pleasantly surprised to get room 26 at the end of the hall, which did boast a large window. Not much of a view (it overlooks the construction site of a soon-to-be highrise) but it's nice to have a connection to outside. The room itself was gorgeously decorated in minimalist modern. A variety of lighting options, glassed in shower with great water pressure, and separate vanity with mirror positioned in the main part of the room.

Some nights I was pleasantly surprised to find some chocolates on my pillow, a carafe of still water by my bed and the weather report for the following day. Sweet!

The queen size bed was very comfortable and the sheets salubrious. To make efficient use of the room, the flat panel tv is mounted on the ceiling so you can watch while lying down.

On the minus side, this particular room has no workspace. I found myself going down to the restaurant or sitting up in bed to do any productive work. The bed almost looks like it is a Murphy bed that could conceivably have a fold out desk and stool, but this is not so. If I managed this place, I would offer customers a little breakfast-in-bed table and one of those backrest pillows to make even better use of the small space and increase value.

The restaurant: très chic, great service, amazing and interesting plates, good wine selection.

The only other con I would say is the lack of iron/ironing board in the room. I also think I was supposed to have been given a gift card for the restaurant as per the reservation, but that didn't occur.

They definitely have their branding down well, the aesthetic, style, price and location all compensate for the small size of the property, providing pretty good value when you put it in comparison with other nearby chain hotels. I would definitely come back here again for a short stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank nebulaboy
Beverley T, Guest Relations Manager at The Beverley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello nebulaboy!

Thank you for taking the time to review the Beverley Hotel.

We take your business and feedback seriously, and look forward to your next visit!

Regards,

aja@thebeverleyhotel.ca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Elmira, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Our stay at the Beverley made our trip to the AGO (Bowie Exhibit), pretty much hassle free. I agree with other reviews great location for shopping, (Queen Street West & Spadina), excellent restaurants,(Queen Mum Café), loads of clubs and pubs(The Rivolli)), all within walking distance.
The rooms are extremely small but well appointed. We had a room with a large window which was great.
I would recommend this hotel if you are staying for an evening and will be spending most of your time discovering the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Beverley T, Guest Relations Manager at The Beverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello 2PC3DB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are thrilled that you found the rooms comfortable and enjoyed the amenities of the location as pleasant as we do!

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Regards,

Nice, France
Reviewed 29 October 2013

A nice well-located spot in Toronto with various shops around;
Accomodation: clean, new and modern room but I do not recommend the standard room as a bit tiny - small sized (no desk) and no direct day light in certain rooms, shall look at the Junior / Deluxe maybe (especially if you travel business!)
welcome desk: efficient and professional
restaurant: on lower floor, it offers varied type of food BUT morning BREAKFAST on week days is unfortunately not offered so far

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Good evening, MORDKA06,

We appreciate you taking the time to review us here at the Beverley Hotel.

Thank you for your feedback regarding room size and menu offerings, and we look forward to hosting you again.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Yes the rooms are small, (but very well designed), but this is the kind of hotel that gets you out into the great neighbourhood at it's doorstep. What's even better, are the incredible staff and their attention to detail. Both the ground floor dining and the rooftop lounge are top-notch.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jgeoffdodd
Hello, jgeoffdodd!

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are thrilled you enjoyed your time with us and cannot wait to host you again!

Should you have any questions regarding your return, do not hesitate.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I love this place! Finally Toronto has a true boutique hotel in style, function and form.
Rooms are surprizingly large considering the size of the property. A lounge/bar space on the main level for drinks, food coffee but the roof top is amazing! Hotel is giving a food promotion as it is new for $25 nightly. Don't know how long this will last but it's a nice little perk. Beds are comfortable and it is just a fun experience. Service was perfect and maybe a little over friendly. That is not a complaint but they do need to get busier if they are going to stick around. Go and have a drink on the roof!!! You will love it.

Room Tip: 24 hour street car on Queen Street but not to work, the windows are very well sound insulated.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello, PeterBruceG,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Beverley Hotel--I apologize for the delay in response.

I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay here. It's true, we are truly a "boutique" experience! I am glad you enjoyed that aspect of our environment.

Again, thank you, and we look forward to seeing you again!

aja@theebeverleyhotel.ca
Paris, France
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I've been staying 2 nights at Beverley Hotel. First impression is really positive, nice location, stylish deco. Nice rooftop, good food.

It's kinda a trendy spot to have a drink or two but hotel is not as good as it's look. Rooms are tiny, without windows and loudly. I was on room #23 close to the reception counter and it was impossible to sleep before 1am.

I regret that there is no iron in the rooms, also no pressing service or umbrella at the counter for customers. Avoid the elevator it's the slowest ever seen.

However, staff is great, nice and helpfull! Special mention for them.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Good Evening Hugo W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! And we are so happy you found our staff friendly and helpful.

We apologize for the noise within the hotel. Indeed, downtown Toronto is no quiet place.

The elevator (which I affectionately call "the lift") was installed prior to our ownership, and was meant to only be a service (wheelchair) elevator. Trust us! We want it to go faster too!

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review us. I hope you stay with us again!

here, now
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed recently for the film festival because it's only a couple of blocks from TIFF venues. Ideal Queen Street West location. Didn't have chance to try either ground floor resto nor rooftop bar, but they seem popular.

This is a funky, boutique hotel. Stylish, clean, and comfy. But it's boutique. Rooms - whilst immaculate and comfy - are tiny. They're akin to Tokyo business-hotel size. Good for one guest, and for sleeping only. If your days are full outside, and you need convenience of popping back to handy hotel for quick refresh or clothes change, this is a good alt choice. You're paying for location and high quality room, not luxuriant space.

A couple of problems: elevator is old, tiny, and VERY slow. I didn't use it, but waited for it one afternoon. Climbing to first floor is bearable. Next floor, less so. Can't imagine climbing all the way to rooftop. But staff is great and offers to carry bags. Again, short stay, one guest, minimal luggage...fine. And front desk is definitely a work-in-progress. Staff are new and still learning systems. Printer didn't work at check-in nor check-out. They offer free coffee, but not hot water for tea.

Would I stay again? For short stays where my days are full and outside the hotel, where I come with minimal luggage, and where I need this ideal location, yes. But for longer stays, with another guest, or where a spacious room is needed, no.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hello Romaroamer,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Beverley Hotel, and I apologize for the delay in response. I have recently been added to the team as Guest Services Manager.

We apologize for the elevator; it was installed by the previous owners as a wheelchair-access only service elevator, and is thus not intended to be the main source of travel between floors. I am thrilled that the staff helped you with your bags! Phew!

We are definitely a hotel meant for a visit in the heart of the city, with the majority of your time being spent exploring Toronto, which is precisely as you explained.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope you try our food and drink next time you're in town, regardless of whether or not you stay with us!

Cheers,