“STAY AWAY. WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Beverley Hotel

The Beverley Hotel
Ranked #75 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“STAY AWAY. WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

i rented a suite from them this past sat. i showed up shortly after check-in. the door to reception was locked and we had to walk down to the bar and found the concierge chatting with a bar tender while guests were trying to check in. he showed us to our room. tiny little "suite" with no couch or anything. not even a queen sized bed. though all these things i could have tolerated but the heat was broken in the room and it was literally below freezing. there was a tiny space heater in the room that was also broken. i should have never been shown a room that had no heat let alone expected to spend a night in it when the outside forecast was -16. i wouldn't stay in a room that cold for free. we went down to the concierge a half hour after check in and asked for our money back. there was no manger on site and the concierge had no authority. A hotel with no manger on site on a saturday night???? crazy right? he kept insisting he would put us in another room(a smaller, barely warmer room.) frankly at this point i did not want another room. i wanted my money back. any hotel that puts you in a room with no heat in the middle of february in canada does't deserve a second chance. i demanded to speak with the manager. the concierge gave me his cell phone number on a post-it and expected me to call him from my cell phone!?! it just kept getting weirder. he also told me he could't refund the hold he had taken on my card but he would not put the charges through. two days later not only did the hotel run the charge for the room but they charged me an extra hundred dollars for incidentals that i now have to dispute through my credit card company. i have called the manger 7 times on his cell from various phones with no answer and he has not been physically present at the hotel in 3 days. i have reported these crooks to the ministry of consumer services and the better business bureau. avoid this place like the plague. no doubt in my mind they'll be out of business within the year anyway but by far the worst experience i have ever had in the hospitality industry. complete hackery. total fail. STAY AWAY

Room Tip: no parking or pull up to drop off luggage. heat was broken in my room and it was so cold there was a...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank chris p
Beverley T, Manager at The Beverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello Chris P,

Right away, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review, and I am certainly sorry for the experience you had.

We have added some management, and thus are tackling many of the issues you have presented:

We are aware that our rooms, particularly the Standards, are pod-style, and that this is mostly an issue of expectation management in terms of description on the website.
The heat and AC issues are being addressed. While this was a particularly cold winter, guest comfort is of utmost importance to us.
We apologize for the absence of management onsite. There is no excuse, but we can assure you this has been rectified and will not happen again.
Most importantly, we are chagrined that your credit card was charged with the room and the incidentals.

I can see that you live in Toronto. I am a new addition to the management team and would love a chance to change your mind!

aja@thebeverleyhotel.ca

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

In the heart of Queen Street West, it would be easy to miss this entrance as it is so unassuming. Do not be fooled. The staff are extraordinary. Every request we had, they filled. We stayed on the second floor, at the back. We had a window, but it looks onto construction. Not the hotel's fault, just an observation. The WIFI could be tricky, but it can be tricky at Starbucks too. The hotel has a very modern and European feel. If you like large rooms, go elsewhere. The beds are comfortable and the comforters are down duvets. The hotel & restaurant are very clean.

The food is familiar, but with a twist and the drinks are delicious. The restaurant is a must try.

This hotel is romantic and fun. It is out of the comfort zone of some, but it can be great if you give it a try. I know we were very pleasantly surprised!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are a little noisy at 7 am due to construction, maybe something in the middle of t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Beverley T, Guest Relations Manager at The Beverley Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Good evening Mum1928!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Beverley Hotel. We know you have many choices when you choose where to eat and stay in Toronto, and we are so glad you tried, and enjoyed, us.

We look forward to your return!

Regards,

brighton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

So having read reviews it sounded great and just around the corner from people we were visiting. Booked a suite which at best is the size of a normal hotel room - but no sofa - no coffee/tea, just a small desk. But most bizarre thing is theb HUGE window from the room into bathroom and no door, just a curtain!! There is no opportunity to use the loo, shower or clean your teeth
without the other person in the room spectating - or the people facing you on queen/Beverley!
Clearly the hotel thinks it's very hip but unless you've been in a relationship for a very long time and are completely cool with watching your fellow guests' every move in the bathroom, then is suggest you go somewhere else! Photos to follow!

• Stayed February 2014
12 Thank maxBrighton
Beverley T, Guest Relations Manager at The Beverley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Hello maxBrighton,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your time in reviewing the Beverley Hotel, and I apologize for the delay in our response.

We are aware of the intimate nature of our suites. Certainly, some of the rooms are a bit less private than others.

We are working on solutions to this including curtains and the like.

Again, thank you for the time you took to write a review, and hope to host you again, with different results!

Cheers,

Aja Sax,
aja@thebeverleyhotel.ca

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

I stayed at the Beverly because it was I was told it was in a great location and it had a cosmopolitan clientele. Living in NYC and LA, this sounded good to me. I walked in the front door and saw some fashionable looking folks walking out, but that was where it started to go downhill:

1) The elevator in this 5 floor hotel did not work, I am not sure if it ever worked
2) Wifi did not work in my room, which does not sound like a big deal but if you are a business traveler and you are traveling intentionally is can be expensive, it cost me $150 in roaming charges to get work done.
3) The toilet ran all night, from a slow trickle to a loud squeal of the pipes on 15 minute intervals. I asked for a repair in the morning and it was still running when I came him the second night. I turned off the water in the room so I could sleep.
4) Construction started at 7am right outside my window each morning.
5) The rooms are very small here, enough room for a bed with some room on the sides.
6) The walls were thin enough that I could hear the couple 2 rooms down having sex.
7) my room had a window, but very few of the rooms in the hotel have windows

I am an easy going person, and don't have the time to write a lot of reviews. I just had to do something, so others don't make the same mistake. Look, if the wifi had worked and I could have gotten some work done I would have been ok. Maybe that do that so you cant write online reviews.

On a positive note, the TV location was cool. I could not see a TV in the room when I walked in, which was odd, but there was just no place for it. I though it impossible in a modern hotel room not to have a TV. Then I saw a clicker on the on the nightstand, I hit power and a crane like noise starts, as I see the TV unfolding from the ceiling (cool)

Room Tip: The further you get away from the front desk, the less chance your wifi will work.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Shawn G
Beverley T, Guest Relations Manager at The Beverley Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello ShawnG,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Beverley!

I would love to try to tackle your feedback, and I apologize that this was not done in a more timely fashion.

1) We are doing our best to stay on top of maintenance for the elevator. It was installed by the previous building tenants as a wheelchair access only service elevator, and is thus not meant for the amount we use it. We understand that this is an issue for our guests, and are addressing the matter.
2) I have heard about the WiFi issue that happened during your stay. The matter has been fixed entirely, I am so sorry that that happened during your stay!
3) Plumbing issue have been addressed. Not that it is an excuse, but the winter we had here was unprecedented and caused unexpected issues.
4) Ah, the beauty of Toronto construction. We joke here that we have two seasons: winter and construction. However, with the glorious condo boom, it seems we have no break. Certainly not ideal and I apologize. If you come back, I'll personally buy you a few whiskies to help you sleep ;)
5) Our hotel rooms, the Standards anyway, are designed in the boutique/pod style. We know they are small. The Deluxe rooms are only $20 more and a bit bigger. My email is below, if you decide to come back, please allow me to upgrade you to such a room on us.
6) Well this made me blush. We have heard about this and are looking into a solution.
7) The pod style rooms in the middle do not have windows, indeed. Obviously this is simply the design of the hotel. I am glad you got one with a window, and again, if you return, we will make sure that happens again.

I hope this brings you some comfort, at least knowing that we are aware of the issues, and as we grow, the matters are being addressed.

Oakville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, we decided to spend a weekend at this hotel. There are several things that have to be considered when staying here.

1) There is no pull up for your vehicle. If there are no parking spaces available in front of the hotel, you will be challenged to unload your luggage without blocking traffic
2) There is no parking at the hotel. We parked in an underground garage across the street for an additional $60.00
3) The lobby is on the second floor and the elevator is excruciatingly slow. Be prepared to climb stairs or wait for the elevator
4) I had read the rooms were small which I always take with a grain of salt (especially after travelling extensively through Europe). This was the smallest room I have ever stayed in ....even smaller than a cruise cabin.
5) My access card kept becoming de-magnetized even though it was kept in an empty pocket.
6) Our room had no window.

With all of that being said, the rooms were very clean, the staff was very friendly and the location was ideal. Seeing as though we weren't spending great amounts of time in our room, it all worked out. I do believe being aware of the parking and pull up area important details to be aware of.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Good evening, Brad A!

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, and thank you for your feedback.

Being in a location such as ours certainly does limit us in terms of parking; I recall a similar frustration while in NYC once.

Yes, our rooms are quite small. We are addressing this from a website-advertising perspective, as we believe expectation management could help with some of this. If you decide to stay with us again, my email is below and I would love to personally help you find a more comfortable room.

Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to having you again!

Cheers,

Guest Services Management
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The staff went out of their way to be warm, helpful and accommodating. The rooms are minimalist in the best possible sense, everything you would want and no extra clutter or useless stuff. Great shower; excellent bed and duvet, cool idea to put the tv on the ceiling for watching in bed. The restaurant downstairs is super - they have a special called fourplay which is four dishes served at the same time - on the day I went it was ravioli, lamb sausage with mashed potatoes, vegetables and carrot cake - every bite delicious and just the right quantities. Great location and I cannot wait to tell my friends about this hotel and stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms facing Queen hear the streetcar at night, and the rooms in the very back have slightly wea...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank charliebrown5
Hello, charliebrown5!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Beverley Hotel!

I am happy to hear you had such a nice time here---The 4 Play is one of my favourite dishes, too!

That dang streetcar! I live on Queen and have learned to sleep through it, but indeed, it can be tough to get used to.

Thanks again, and we look forward to having you again!

Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

As soon as I walked in, I knew I found my new home away from home. Fantastic location, super friendly and professional staff. The restaurant down stairs has delicious food! I tried the burger and the Caesar drink. Let's just say... I'm a fan. When I got to my room I was nicely surprised at the attention to detail with the lay-out. It was modern, clean and comfortable. I really loved the size of the shower in the bathroom. If you want to do some shopping or go and discover a new restaurant, you don't have to leave your neighborhood. It's all right here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank PierceI2013
Good evening Piercel2013!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time here; indeed, the burger is one of my faves too!

We look forward to your return!

Regards,